The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this a good time to quit job? *options inside - need input*

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I figured I'd give adwords a try as my budget currently allows for $500 a month in adspend without dipping into the safety net.

I've been using my electric longboard to do entire neighborhoods in under an hour. Easy work.

I'll try adwords for this month and then stop it if it doesn't perform as well as I hope it to.

oh man electric longboard, ive wanted one forever...just today I had a dream I rode around on some Ebike

and no please dont burn $500, take that $500 and use it for better things. you will be competing with hundreds of other companies online for traffic, you have to grind it out with flyers and door knocking/calling.

5.6 million results, do you really want to burn money?

do you know what business's are usually NOT doing? getting out in the community and engaging with it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

aeden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Feb 28, 2020
Melbourne, FL
Thanks man. I've been meaning to ask you. Apart from Google adwords, yelp, and the door to door, what else can I do to get clients? For times when the door to door isnt an option (like when I'm at work or when its raining).

Have you looked into NextDoor? Don't spam them, but instead perhaps you can just follow along there in your neighborhood and if someone asks for a service you provide you can reply. My NextDoor also has a Businesses section and a Local Deals, so perhaps you can post something (for a small fee maybe)?

valuecreator

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Apr 16, 2015
Australia
To answer the question about quitting your job...

I don't know about the timing but it sure time to prepare your future without one!

To answer the question about getting customers (targetted traffic)

I suggest you go to Scribd. They have a 30 days free trial. Just register with your Paypal address and once you're in go and cancel it right away.( WARNING: it is tricky, you have to push 2 or 3 buttons for the cancellation to happen. they will send you an email to confirm you have canceled. If you don't get the email you're not canceled).

then just go and type the appropriate keywords: online traffic, get customers, etc.

there's a gazillion of books in there, stick to the most recent ones.

personally I'm still using the good old techniques described in "Feed a starving crowd". nothing fancy but it still works after all those years... (if you cannot find a free version, drop me a line and I'll send you a link).

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Thanks man. I've been meaning to ask you. Apart from Google adwords, yelp, and the door to door, what else can I do to get clients? For times when the door to door isnt an option (like when I'm at work or when its raining).
You have it all backward. When it rains, people let you in their doors and talk more. If you stomp around in the rain in your boots, singing, then they will really talk to you. Buy some plastic bags to put your flier into. Enjoy the moment.
I use bulletin boards to get my message out with pull off phone #s across the bottom. They are still effective for me.

I love postcards. They're cheap to send and don't need to be opened.

I have a habit of showing up outside of companies with pockets full of candy at quitting time. And plates of cookies at break time.

Offer to run errands for those who are housebound right now.

You're mowing lawns -- right? Mow for a couple of seniors or disabled people for free. What is it really gonna cost you? A few minutes and a little bit of gas?

Develop a punch card and hand it out with your phone # on it. If you mow their lawn every week for a month, they get the next week free. Hand it out to everyone. (Make sure that the punch you use is unique.) Each time you go to mow, go the door, say hi and punch their card. Or allow them to give the punch card to a neighbor who can't mow their own lawn -- seniors, disabled, new parents, etc. Then give your client another card to punch. You want to become part of their world!

Your whole job is to get to know as many people as possible. You want to become part of the neighborhood.

Note: during the summer here I mow acres and acres on my antique tractor with my brush hog. I get to see my tenants. My favorite time to mow is late mornings on Sunday when they are generally home. That way I get to wave at them. Did I tell you that I have two college degrees in marketing?????
1586145286410.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I figured I'd give adwords a try as my budget currently allows for $500 a month in adspend without dipping into the safety net.

I've been using my electric longboard to do entire neighborhoods in under an hour. Easy work.

I'll try adwords for this month and then stop it if it doesn't perform as well as I hope it to.

I'd love to hear an update, how are things going?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.