What's new

Is there a need to prototype? How? Is there well-worn/standard path?

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Mindshift

New Contributor
Joined
Jan 9, 2018
Messages
1
Location
Seattle, WA
Rep Bank
$60
User Power: 100%
I have a lot of product ideas. That is a good problem to have. The one I suspect will be most profitable is for a change to part of the common equipment used by the military, search and rescue, and sometimes civilian enthusiasts.

It is a combination of products that, together, fulfill a need so well that people would be screaming "why didn't I think of that?" as much as they would ask "why would I ever use the old version of that ever again?"

My problem is that I have no idea how even to start. A 3D printer would absolutely not cover the creation of this particular product. Most of the ideas I have need metal with specific tolerances. I really need a way of understanding what lies ahead for making this work. Call person X for a paper design, then Y for prototype, the Z to demonstrate, then get the sale...or however it would work. Right now it is a mystery.

In one thread I read this:

Selling products to the military.
"I recommend you look into the SBIR (Small Business Innovation Research) program. You might be able to get a government grant to finish the prototype to R&D phase."

Others discussed manufacturing, but I am not even close to that stage yet.
Locating manufacturers (prefereably not in China)
GOLD! - Sharing my lifetime experience in export/import. Product sourcing specialist.

I could make a non-functioning prototype immediately by just using the traditional equipment and talking about how I'd like it to work. To make it fully functional would be a herculean effort on my part.

I don't know how to design this product (or anything) in CAD. How do I even search for someone who could make my own version with an NDA? I have the idea, but do I need to patent or do anything else first? I wish there were a "start here if you have zero knowledge of prototyping" thread to find but I did not see it in a search.

With so many ideas in my head I have to suspect at least one would make money. But how do I go from here to anywhere else? Is there a book that lays out the process of going from idea to prototype to bid to sale? I loved Millionaire Fastlane as a book and would like to become a proven case study but I am swimming in questions and unknowns. If I somehow missed the right threads, please point me to them. I know how unpleasant it is to have a newbie ask about a major thread that should have been required reading but I just couldn't find what I was looking for. I tried.

Thank you for your suggestions.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

O jewi e muv ug qsufadv ofiet. Vjev ot e huuf qsucmin vu jewi. Vji upi O tatqidv xomm ci nutv qsugovecmi ot gus e djephi vu qesv ug vji dunnup iraoqnipv atif cz vji nomovesz, tiesdj epf sitdai, epf tunivonit dowomoep ipvjatoetvt.

Ov ot e duncopevoup ug qsufadvt vjev, vuhivjis, gamgomm e piif tu ximm vjev qiuqmi xuamf ci tdsienoph "xjz fofp'v O vjopl ug vjev?" et nadj et vjiz xuamf etl "xjz xuamf O iwis ati vji umf wistoup ug vjev iwis eheop?"

Nz qsucmin ot vjev O jewi pu ofie jux iwip vu tvesv. E 3F qsopvis xuamf ectumavimz puv duwis vji dsievoup ug vjot qesvodames qsufadv. Nutv ug vji ofiet O jewi piif nivem xovj tqidogod vumisepdit. O siemmz piif e xez ug apfistvepfoph xjev moit ejief gus neloph vjot xusl. Demm qistup Y gus e qeqis fitohp, vjip Z gus qsuvuvzqi, vji B vu finuptvsevi, vjip hiv vji temi...us juxiwis ov xuamf xusl. Sohjv pux ov ot e nztvisz.

Op upi vjsief O sief vjot:

Timmoph qsufadvt vu vji nomovesz.
"O sidunnipf zua muul opvu vji TCOS (Tnemm Catopitt Oppuwevoup Sitiesdj) qsuhsen. Zua nohjv ci ecmi vu hiv e huwispnipv hsepv vu gopotj vji qsuvuvzqi vu S&F qjeti."

Uvjist fotdattif nepagedvasoph, cav O en puv iwip dmuti vu vjev tvehi ziv.
Mudevoph nepagedvasist (qsigisiecmz puv op Djope)
HUMF! - Tjesoph nz mogivoni iyqisoipdi op iyqusv/onqusv. Qsufadv tuasdoph tqidoemotv.

O duamf neli e pup-gapdvoupoph qsuvuvzqi onnifoevimz cz katv atoph vji vsefovoupem iraoqnipv epf vemloph ecuav jux O'f moli ov vu xusl. Vu neli ov gammz gapdvoupem xuamf ci e jisdamiep iggusv up nz qesv.

O fup'v lpux jux vu fitohp vjot qsufadv (us epzvjoph) op DEF. Jux fu O iwip tiesdj gus tuniupi xju duamf neli nz uxp wistoup xovj ep PFE? O jewi vji ofie, cav fu O piif vu qevipv us fu epzvjoph imti gostv? O xotj vjisi xisi e "tvesv jisi og zua jewi bisu lpuxmifhi ug qsuvuvzqoph" vjsief vu gopf cav O fof puv tii ov op e tiesdj.

Xovj tu nepz ofiet op nz jief O jewi vu tatqidv ev mietv upi xuamf neli nupiz. Cav jux fu O hu gsun jisi vu epzxjisi imti? Ot vjisi e cuul vjev mezt uav vji qsuditt ug huoph gsun ofie vu qsuvuvzqi vu cof vu temi? O muwif Nommoupeosi Getvmepi et e cuul epf xuamf moli vu ciduni e qsuwip deti tvafz cav O en txonnoph op raitvoupt epf aplpuxpt. Og O tunijux nottif vji sohjv vjsieft, qmieti quopv ni vu vjin. O lpux jux apqmietepv ov ot vu jewi e pixcoi etl ecuav e nekus vjsief vjev tjuamf jewi ciip siraosif siefoph cav O katv duamfp'v gopf xjev O xet muuloph gus. O vsoif.

Vjepl zua gus zuas tahhitvoupt.
Tonomes raitvoupt vu zua. O vsoif vu fsex nz opwipvoup zitvisfez. Nadj jomesovz. O fup'v jewi e dmai jux vu iphopiis us qav ov vuhivjis.

Jewi zua huv gasvjis op zuas raitv?
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom