The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Is job experience necessary as a tech founder

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Mainstream7

Beauty is Truth
Jan 1, 2015
Do you think job experience in a tech agency/company is necessary to become a tech founder?
I imagine there are many intricacies that can only be learned in a real project with a real team. Learn on the job so to say.

Or is it possible to learn the tech-stack for example and go straight into freelance/building your own company by bootstrapping?

@csalvato @lowtek @srodrigo @eliquid

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
If your solution solves my problem, I don't care about your prior experience.

Kevin88660

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Do you think job experience in a tech agency/company is necessary to become a tech founder?
I imagine there are many intricacies that can only be learned in a real project with a real team. Learn on the job so to say.

Or is it possible to learn the tech-stack for example and go straight into freelance/building your own company by bootstrapping?

A lot of successful founders did not have.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2013
Louisville - Kentucky

First, anything is possible. So yes, based on that alone it is possible with to be a tech founder without a job or related background.

Second, you only need to solve a problem. Not solve a problem with X background

Third, I built many things just learning the tech stack ( Perl, PHP, SQL, etc ) alone by myself without a tech job at all. I had 6-7 years experience doing this on my own, by myself before I got my first job in tech/marketing.

Sometimes, other people and their bad habits.. rub off on you or give you a false sense of how things should be done. I dislike that because it means you might have to unlearn something.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

If you've already got it, it probably wouldn't hurt. If you're thinking you need a job in the industry to get started, I'd say it's a detour.

The exception to this, potentially, is that the connections you make would be helpful. You can make them other ways, but a job is a guaranteed way to meet people.

Mainstream7

Beauty is Truth
Jan 1, 2015
If your solution solves my problem, I don't care about your prior experience.

Thanks for the reminder MJ!

First, anything is possible. So yes, based on that alone it is possible with to be a tech founder without a job or related background.

Second, you only need to solve a problem. Not solve a problem with X background

Third, I built many things just learning the tech stack ( Perl, PHP, SQL, etc ) alone by myself without a tech job at all. I had 6-7 years experience doing this on my own, by myself before I got my first job in tech/marketing.

Sometimes, other people and their bad habits.. rub off on you or give you a false sense of how things should be done. I dislike that because it means you might have to unlearn something.

That's interesting. I guess there are certain advantages working alone that are different in a team.

If you've already got it, it probably wouldn't hurt. If you're thinking you need a job in the industry to get started, I'd say it's a detour.

The exception to this, potentially, is that the connections you make would be helpful. You can make them other ways, but a job is a guaranteed way to meet people.

Thank you for your perspective.

srodrigo

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 11, 2018

Not necessary, but can be helpful, and you get some income while learning the in's and out's, specially at a startup. But I know people who became freelancers and/or built their own company after college or even without it. It's 2021, you can learn most techy things on your own and start solving problems and getting paid for it. And you can learn the actual business while you build it (there can be more rough edges though).

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 26, 2012
Firstly, I am a tech founder, so I would speak of experience.

Having prior tech experience definitely helped to an extent that I couldn't imagine what would happen if I didn't have any. There are so many aspects of software that you need to be aware of that it is next to impossible to figure out overnight.
- Security
- Performance/scalability
- Architecture
etc

In the past, I have also been involved in projects where the tech founder/co-founder didn't have prior experience. My experience was horrible, everything had to be re-written.

If there is no other option, I would suggest at least hiring a senior developer to be a mentor, provide advice etc.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any update? Hey bud! When I can squeeze out the time to work, it's been going pretty well...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
For any web designers struggling to sell it is hardly ever about competition with other web...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This month's promo code is MINDCONTROL Those who are subscribed to my new Youtube channel will...
MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
Appreciating the transparency and lack of hidden fees. The website is very up-front and user...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom