The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Calorie Counting model really flawed?

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I think this is a good example of the common problem where people on level 1, or even level 0.1 skip to level 5 and see bad results.

Trying to fine tune something that hasn’t even been put in the same universe yet... that’s what it’s like when you get into all the details of nutrition trying to lose weight when you still don’t have a caloric deficit
Not getting you, what do you mean?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted78083

I lost 6kg in 8 weeks when I went keto. I do not know of anyone for whom it didn't work.

Sometimes though, keto is not enough. You may be interested in the carnivore diet.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
The most popular diets right now are keto and intermediate fasting. They're too restrictive in my opinion and they feel like a diet. With calorie counting you can eat whatever you like as long as you eat your daily calorie goal.

I don't agree with IF being too restrictive.

I have been doing 16-8 for years. If you eat right, you can for a long period of time without feeling hungry.

What most us in the modern world have is a physiological and psychological addiction to calories that our bodies don't actually need. What happens when you start fasting is that you realize that it's not your body that needs the (empty) calories, but it's your mouth that wants the pleasure, the relief from stress, etc.

Once you become aware of and start to weaken that association, you'll start to naturally feel that the majority of food is garbage, that you are not actually that hungry, and that you don't need to eat nearly as much you think you do, especially if you are not that active.

This!

Someone in the thread mentioned something about missing junk food that tastes really good when you are on a healthy diet. I say "script".

The "delicious junk" food has been engineered to be addictive and to give you a completely unnatural amount of pleasure. The amount of dopamine you get from those is way above what you can get from eating natural food.

If you break that "addiction", you will see that healthy food tastes good. Very good, actually.

You can eat healthy AND enjoy your food.
If this is not the case for you, you are addicted to junk food.

---
@Raja, what are your takeaways so far?

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I lost 6kg in 8 weeks when I went keto. I do not know of anyone for whom it didn't work.

Sometimes though, keto is not enough. You may be interested in the carnivore diet.
I said that I did it wrong.

instead of making it high-fat diet I made it high protein diet

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I don't agree with IF being too restrictive.

I have been doing 16-8 for years. If you eat right, you can for a long period of time without feeling hungry.

This!

Someone in the thread mentioned something about missing junk food that tastes really good when you are on a healthy diet. I say "script".

The "delicious junk" food has been engineered to be addictive and to give you a completely unnatural amount of pleasure. The amount of dopamine you get from those is way above what you can get from eating natural food.

If you break that "addiction", you will see that healthy food tastes good. Very good, actually.

You can eat healthy AND enjoy your food.
If this is not the case for you, you are addicted to junk food.

---
@Raja, what are your takeaways so far?
My takeaways are quite simple(yet powerful) :
1. Calorie counting model works and is one of the fundamentals so you count outsmart it.
2. eat a good amount of protein and filling food so you don't feel hungry.
3. avoid junk and empty calories.

personally, I like @Johnny boy approach. not making yourself get hungry is one of the best approaches.

one main problem being Lacto-ovo vegetarian getting enough protein will be a problem. for 75kg I need 150 gm of protein daily according to @lowtek and a google search. I don't want to depend on whey protein as my go-to for protein.
that makes 25 eggs a day(6 gm protein each) in 8 hr window. I will soon go crazy If I did that.

Is it just me who thinks the protein requirement stated on the web is overkill? (maybe some paid research by protein supplement companies, like cereal and sugar companies)

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
1. Calorie counting model works and is one of the fundamentals so you count outsmart it.

personally, I like @Johnny boy approach. not making yourself get hungry is one of the best approaches.

one main problem being Lacto-ovo vegetarian getting enough protein will be a problem. for 75kg I need 150 gm of protein daily according to @lowtek and a google search. I don't want to depend on whey protein as my go-to for protein.
that makes 25 eggs a day(6 gm protein each) in 8 hr window. I will soon go crazy If I did that.

Is it just me who thinks the protein requirement stated on the web is overkill? (maybe some paid research by protein supplement companies, like cereal and sugar companies)
You still have lentils, beans/rice, quinoa, yogurt, nuts, cheese and milk. Egg whites are also a great source of protein (for some reason, I think the yellow colored ones are more palatable despite the fact it's just dyed).

You don't have to eat whey if you don't want.

You could probably get away with around 115-120gm of protein, as that's on the lower end. It's just less satiating and leaves a little less for muscle repair / building / retention. In the long run it may only make a marginal difference, who knows.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

Bro just 200 calories of chicken breast has 40 grams of protein. Have 400 calories of chicken a day and throw in a couple eggs and you’re doing just fine

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I believe counting calories is flawed. It doesn't work 100% of the time and it gets real weird once your eating habits deviate from the common diet (everything in moderation).

I know the argument of why it must work is because of thermodynamics but we're not robots. 2k calories consumed doesn't mean 2k calories utilized.

Using "energy" intake as measurement for human weight control seems so inaccurate when you factor in that hormones, waste, body movement, breathing, and even thinking affects energy. But the alternative "measurements" are probably just as inaccurate too.

So, it's possible that calorie counting is the best flawed method we have at the moment.

One thing I've noticed during my diet experiments is that if you eat the same food consistently without much deviation, you'll store more energy as your body becomes better at digesting that item. Probably has something to do with gut bacteria but I'm no scientist.

Bruno11

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 18, 2020
Sydney
losing weight is very simple if you put in some work:

If you eat less calories then you burn =you lose weight
If you eat more calories then you burn= you gain weight

you can further help your weight loss by exercising(although it is literally not required if you don’t want to, just eat less)
But for obvious reasons exercise goes well with tracking calories and building muscle

strict macros and counting calories works,
if you want to change, download MyFitnessPal pal , scan absolutely everything and be very rigorous until you develop a sense of what foods you eat daily and how many calories they all are.

meal prep> 1 day a week prepare enough for 5-6 days of food and put it in Tupperware containers

DO NOT. Follow . “Trends” or “diets “

there is no such thing as a diet. It’s a lifestyle
You have to eat what you like and stick to it, there is a lot of healthier food choices that are nice but you can literally eat McDonald’s AS LONG AS you stay within calorie deficit.

forget carbs, fats and all the other bullshit

all you care about is calories in, calories out l.

if you want to build muscle> protein and calories

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I believe counting calories is flawed. It doesn't work 100% of the time and it gets real weird once your eating habits deviate from the common diet (everything in moderation).

I know the argument of why it must work is because of thermodynamics but we're not robots. 2k calories consumed doesn't mean 2k calories utilized.

Using "energy" intake as measurement for human weight control seems so inaccurate when you factor in that hormones, waste, body movement, breathing, and even thinking affects energy. But the alternative "measurements" are probably just as inaccurate too.

So, it's possible that calorie counting is the best flawed method we have at the moment.

One thing I've noticed during my diet experiments is that if you eat the same food consistently without much deviation, you'll store more energy as your body becomes better at digesting that item. Probably has something to do with gut bacteria but I'm no scientist.
Okay, I got you that you believe its flawed.

What practical things do you feel that works?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
if you want to build muscle> protein and calories

You won't build as much muscle as you could without eating a significant amount of carbs as well.

bmarketguy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 19, 2021
First off, if you are struggling to lose weight you should go talk to a doctor to get an overall checkup and make sure there isn't something underlying.

But the following is what has worked for me in the past:

Calorie counting IS greatly flawed because of all the variables, BUT you can make them work with consistency. You need to estimate food consistently, eat relatively consistently, and measure consistently. If you do this you can adjust the numbers to work for you.

Calorie count for 2 weeks and drink a lot of water. What does your weight do?
Stay the same: Base line - keep eating here to maintain or decrease calories to lose
Increased: keep calorie counting the EXACT same but decrease your food intake
Decreased: great! As long as it is a healthy amount you can keep doing what you're doing.

Generally speaking you decrease your calories from baseline by 250 a day to lose .5lbs a week.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Calories Counting has a execution difficulty when the deficit is too small.

And there is a misguided concept that you have to be exact. You don’t.

When you have a 1000 calories daily deficit a margin of error for 200 is not going to impact your diet negatively.

Because statistically it works both way. Today you overestimate your intake by 150 tomorrow you might underestimate by 200. By laws of large number it the error is insignificant over the long run.

My counting is that I know this meal is kind of 650-750 range.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I am reading The Case for Keto by Gary Taubes, and he has some compelling arguments against calories counting.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I am reading The Case for Keto by Gary Taubes, and he has some compelling arguments against calories counting.
can you share your thoughts here when you finished reading it?

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
This morning I officially hit over 50 lbs of weight loss over the last year. The only thing I did was intermittent fast and count calories.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Okay, I got you that you believe its flawed.

What practical things do you feel that works?

If I could only pick 4 practical things, I'd say:

1. Low/no sugar
2. Lower carbohydrates (these turn into sugar once ingested)
3. Don't mix high carbohydrates with high fat
4. Intermittent fasting (maximum 8 hour eating window)

Usually when I say things like the above I get comments saying "Well that's just another way of limiting calories. CICO is king."

So I'll answer those comments in advance with quick statements:

1. Low/no sugar - manages insulin response and sensitivity / inflammation
2. Lower carbs - manages insulin response and sensitivity / inflammation
3. Don't mix high carb with high fat - allows body to process one energy source without having to store the other source as fat until finished (oversimplified).
4. Intermittent fasting - same as #1 & #2

You can do all of the above while eating more calories than you're supposed to and still lose weight.

Everybody's body is different so even those might not work 100% of the time. But I'd choose those over calorie counting any day for long term success.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
can you share your thoughts here when you finished reading it?

Yes, of course. But I am not reading it to do this kind of diet in particular, but to know more about ketosis. What I am trying right now is the carnivore diet, there is a post in the forum. Maybe you can't give it a chance, I lost 5 pounds (2.5 kilos) in 3 weeks, and I am thin. What surprised is that I am starting to see my abs, something I didn't know I have.

AniM

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Apr 11, 2018
DC
I'm going to disagree with most of the people in this thread (and the fitness community) and say that Calorie Counting is bullshit and doesn't work for most people.

I personally was always just a little overweight ("skinny fat") and would try calorie restriction to lose weight. It would work to a point, but it would never last and I was basically yo-yo dieting for years.

I had the wrong paradigm because I was focused on calories.

A couple people mentioned this already but the science behind keto and fasting shows that it's much more about HORMONES, specifically Insulin.

If this sounds like an interesting perspective to you I recommend this video by Dr. Jason Fung. The fridge/freezer analogy is particularly eye-opening.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk

If you want to go deeper, read his book The Obesity Code.

This book totally changed my thinking on dieting and fat loss. I had already been doing intermittent fasting but after reading this book I started extended fasting and lost weight very predictably, and I was able to keep it off without too much effort.

After reading Dr. Fung's book I stumbled onto Cole Robinson who someone mentioned in this thread already. He's a fitness/fat loss coach who has a method called "The Snake Diet". Also his brand is amazing, here's his youtube channel:

He preaches extended fasting (48 hours up to 7 days max IIRC) while drinking "Snake Juice" which is basically water with electrolytes. He has a specific recipe of what salts to add to keep you feeling good while fasting. He is the extremist but practical version of what Dr. Fung is talking about.

Fasting is essentially the fastest way to get your body to deplete it's glycogen and enter a ketogenic state. Then you are burning fat for energy. Doing this consistently will also improve your insulin resistance and your body will become more efficient at accessing your fat storage. This is why Cole recommends doing "rolling" fasts, where for example you would do a 48 hour fast, eat a meal or two in a short window, and then immediately go into another 48 hours fast. That's just one protocol.

He has a huge amount of success stories on Instagram and Facebook. He's not selling anything either (other than some completely optional salt packets on amazon, but you can buy the salts separately at most grocery stores).

I was able to lose weight with minimal effort, build discipline, and keep it off following these guys advice. I did gain weight back during the pandemic because I wasn't exercising, was eating too much crap, and was eating far too frequently. I, like many, fell out of good habits.

But now I'm back to a flexible fasting lifestyle and weight is coming off again. I think the biggest thing was the understanding and knowledge I got about weight loss, which gives me confidence that I can lose fat quickly and easily if I ever slip again in the future.

Again, highly recommend the Dr. Jason Fung video, and if it resonates with you read his book and check out The Snake Diet.

bmarketguy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 19, 2021
I've done calorie counting and it has worked for me. But I do find it hard to keep up with it after. So then calories start to slowly increase.

Currently I'm trying to lose some weight and i cut out all added sugar and gluten. Weight is coming off and i have much more energy.

It's all about finding a lifestyle that you're willing to stick to

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Yes, of course. But I am not reading it to do this kind of diet in particular, but to know more about ketosis. What I am trying right now is the carnivore diet, there is a post in the forum. Maybe you can't give it a chance, I lost 5 pounds (2.5 kilos) in 3 weeks, and I am thin. What surprised is that I am starting to see my abs, something I didn't know I have.
I have tried various diets, they do work and I am the kind of guy that bend rules. So I don't get much benifit out of it.

I want to go to fundamentals, first principles which can not be changed. I believe following that would work.

I previously mentioned that hormones do play a role so you absolutely must limit suger intake. That can include high suger fruits also.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I have tried various diets, they do work and I am the kind of guy that bend rules. So I don't get much benifit out of it.

I want to go to fundamentals, first principles which can not be changed. I believe following that would work.

I previously mentioned that hormones do play a role so you absolutely must limit suger intake. That can include high suger fruits also.

You should give it a try. There is a Subreddit called it zero carb with a lot of information that I've been using since I started.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I've finished red The case for keto, and while it was a good book, is more a book about the science about weight control than a practical guide. It's interesting if you want to know why some people eat the same that other but get more weight. Also, it has a chapter about the diet, the last one, but is very short.

At the end, the diet doesn't differ much from the carnivore diet, you should eat fat, meat and some vegetable and a couple of fruits, but it's mostly fatty meat.

avafab

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 23, 2017
Italy
Hi Fastlaners,

For the past 2-3 years I have heard and tried diets that claim that calorie counting is flawed.
I like them because you don't have to weigh the food and count calorie every time I eat.

personally, I failed to lose weight(I understand this is because of my poor diet plan and understanding, for example, keto turned into a high protein high-fat diet). My weight is stagnant for the last 3 years. I am 5 feet 5 inches and weigh 73 kg and my body fat percentage at 23%.

what do you guys advise,
is it really flawed? I would love to listen to your thoughts on it.

@Strategery @Raoul Duke
Like you, I have been struggling all my life with my weight. I tried many DIY approaches and none worked. My advice is: go and see a nutrition expert. They will give you a personal diet and monitor your progresses. Do not be lazy, go and see an expert. It's not very expensive. It took me years to take that simple step and it was life changing. Also, I learned how powerful is to keep a diary and schedule your meals. After that successful experience I developed a mobile app and published on the market to help more and more people tracking their feelings and stay on track. The secret is inside your mind. If you want to know more please send me a private message. I do not want to use the forum for promotion.

ragnarcallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Mar 25, 2020
London
Everyone always wants the "secret" or easy way to do it. Truth is you've just got to stop being lazy and soft and workout properly. If you're not sweating 10 minutes in to your workout then it isn't hard enough. No amount of "clean eating" (WTF does clean mean) is gonna get the pounds off your fat a$$.

VMac

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 14, 2021
Calories do matter. It's the basic law of thermodynamics. The only thing that may be "flawed" is that calorie counting is not an exact science. But it doesn't need to be. Food labels can be estimates, your TDEE is an estimate, your maintenance calories are an estimate. However, as long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose fat. The value in calorie counting is that you get familiar with food composition and what your portion sizes should be. But unless you want to enter a bodybuilding competition, you don't need to count calories all that rigorously.

I used to listen to guys like Jason Fung. The fact is hormones don't matter. Insulin is not the enemy. In fact insulin is very anabolic and is needed to build muscle.
Does intermittent fasting work? Yes but not because you kept your insulin down for so long, it's because you made it harder to be in a calorie surplus (you don't have the time to overeat).
Since I would not be consistent with having to restrict what and when I eat, I personally would rather take an extra 5-10 minutes out of my day to measure and weigh my food.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 08.32.37.png

Yup, calorie counting works. This is my weight over the last couple of weeks, eating at roughly a 5%-10% calorie deficit.

I'm following the leangains diet (there is a good calculator for this here:
).

I've had turkey mince, brown rice and broccoli for two weeks to keep the calorie counting really simple.

Use a spreadsheet to calculate the amount of food you need to eat.

The food is a little boring, but I'm slowly introducing more interesting food into my diet - I kept it super simple at the start to avoid overwhelm.

I'm also having a cheat meal each week - Chinese take away one week, and roast dinner with potatoes and birthday cake at the weekend.

This is also using intermittent fasting.

This is also eating some of the biggest meals in my life - eating everything I have to in a day is a challenge, it hardly feels like I'm starving myself.

Happy to answer any questions!

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Calorie counting absolutely works. Thermodynamics is fundamental physics, and there is no escaping the laws. Calories in and calories out is ultimately the only thing that matters.

There are, however, some caveats to counting calories effectively.

You have to use a food scale and measure everything in grams. There is no universal standard for cup measuring sizes, so different sets of cups will yield different actual masses of food.

Stick to whole and single ingredient foods whenever possible. Packaging labels can and do lie. For instance, if you check out foods like the popular Kashi cereal, or the high fiber mission tortilla wraps, you'll find some f*ckery. They subtract grams of fiber from total grams of carbs, and so you'll think you're eating 60 calories when you're really eating 120. Their logic is that you don't store the fiber, but I'm skeptical. Taken to the logical extreme, does this mean I can starve to death eating maintenance calories worth of broccoli? Doubtful.

To deal with the above, count the macros. Each gram of carbs and protein have 4 calories, each gram of fat has 9 calories.

Other games include things like "no calorie cooking spray". In reality, no calorie means less than 5 calories for some arbitrarily small quantity (a 0.1 second spray for cooking spray, for instance), which can actually add up to significant numbers if not monitored. Again, taken to the logical extreme... do you mean to tell me I wont' consume any calories if I empty the entire can of cooking spray into some cup and drink it? Doubtful.

You have to be consistent with salt intake. As you diet down, hunger increases, and so we tend to add salt to increase the satiety of the food we're eating. Water draws in salt, and so you retain water, which can cause the scale to stall (or even go up!) for a couple weeks at a time. Worse yet, increasing salt intake increases thirst...

You really need to be eating more or less the same stuff for at least a couple meals a day. Because of the high degree of variability and inaccuracy in measuring devices / packaging labels, it's most efficient (though not absolutely necessary) to minimize variability elsewhere. The easiest way is to find a couple meals (breakfast / lunch) that you can consistently eat the same thing and not get super bored... or perhaps rotate out a couple-few meals.

Other nasty problems include changing the calorie out side of the equation. If you diet for too long, you can stop fidgeting or moving around as much. This changes your base metabolic rate and causes weight loss to slow down. It's important to not diet for extended periods of time (2-4 months is probably best), unless there is a risk of impending death due to morbid obesity (not your case).

The most insidious is "cheat meals". You can undo an entire week of dieting with a cheat meal... and more if you opt for the cheat day. You should never feel the need to cheat on a diet. If hunger and diet fatigue rise to unsustainable levels, then take a couple months to eat at maintenance before getting back into the diet.

Lastly, you must lift weights. Next to getting your bf % down to a reasonable level, this is one of the most important things you can do for your health.

Consume 0.7 - 1.0 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, per day. This helps with satiety and muscle preservation. If you're a novice, you can build muscle in a calorie deficit, but only if you're consuming enough protein.

That's one of the best posts I ever read on losing weight and calories in calories out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.