The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
That's true, for the most part, but I opened another line on a dumb phone I have so I can use the upgrade there. So I'll wind up paying $10 more per month for the new phone (and keep unlimited data on my main line). Gotta love loopholes.

This is exactly what I did...to lose my unlimited data. Used a different number to upgrade, and they took away unlimited data. If I were you I'd pay the $649 or whatever and sell your old phone to recover as much as that as you can.

Maybe time to switch to SPRINT

I think AT&T has the worst business systems and customer service of any company in existence. I will never use any of their services until I die. I only know a few people that use Sprint and their reception is horrible. I love Verizon's coverage where I live but hate that I was forced out of the unlimited data plan. I barely use data in the first place, but if I were to get the iPhone 5 it would be to use more data since that's really the only big difference between that and the iPhone 4. Then, I'm looking at $30-80 more a month. I am seriously considering getting a phone without data capabilities because it's not worth the money to me.

Does anyone know if there is there a way to have an iPhone without the data plan and just use WiFi when available?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
The Verizon rep confirmed that I can do this on the phone for me. Perhaps, you switched to a family shared plan (which you cannot keep unlimited data that way). I will not be going to family share plan.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 3, 2012
Norway, Oslo
Its all about what you are used to.

Apps are what differenciate phones these days. If you got an iPad, and got lots of apps, then you can have the same versions of the apps on your mobile at no extra cost on the iPhone. And it just works.

I was against Apple products for a while as I was a geeky nerd, needing everything to be open. But that changed.

I got sucked in by the iPod, got the Macbook, got the iPhone 4, then Macbook Air and Apple TV. iPhone 5 will be on my shopping list very soon.

Why?

I love to stream videos from my Macbook anywhere in the world, and play them on the Apple TV with one click. Do a presentation, setup a 50" tv and an Apple tv. Dock an iPod in your stereo and use the iPhone as a controller. Use iMessage on your phone, continue to text on the Macbook and finish off the conversation before bed on the iPad.

It just works. Thats what great about it. :) I use a normal call plan, and paid full price on the phone. But as I said in the beginning, its what you are used to, and its always going to be like Windows vs Mac OS, iphone vs android, job vs fastlane...:p

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
How do you dock an iPod and use the iPhone as the controller? I can do it with my laptop and iTunes - but that's about it.

Also, Spotify needs a remote app!

XavierYZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 23, 2012
Somewhere in Ontario
I have been in the apple eco system for 5 years, I have multiple mac computers, apple tvs, ipads, and iPhones, I was getting bored with the apple after Iphone 4 and decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy 2 ( I use to be an android user before iphone 4) although the phone offered some new enhancements, like widgets, larger screen, more open technologies, I missed the simple features you come to love like visual voicemail. airplay streaming to apple tv.

after a couple days of usage I decided android galaxy 2 was not for me, It also did not sync with my 2011 avalanche and music would not play back through the truck radio. it was the black sheep in our house. I returned it and got a new iphone 4s.

Iphone 5 will be the next upgrade for me as I decided that even though ios is boring at times, the truth is it does what its suppose to do and does it very well.

having the syncing between all devices is a great advantage. even when I still use google mail, calendar, contacts for my data in the cloud.

If my life wasn't so intertwined with apple products making a switch to android would be easier.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
That's good, I hope it all works out. I was just making sure you didn't get screwed. I have had a family plan for 2-3 years and one of the lines has unlimited data and two don't. One of the two that don't have unlimited data use to, but I lost it when I used a different number for an upgrade.

Well, if I get screwed I hope I can revert it back. Or maybe I'll just take my business to AT&T. That's really lame. But again, multiple reps confirmed what I plan on doing. But, sometimes, reps don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

Stam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 3, 2012
Norway, Oslo
How do you dock an iPod and use the iPhone as the controller? I can do it with my laptop and iTunes - but that's about it.

Also, Spotify needs a remote app!

Remoteless, is the app I control spotify =) So they got that!

I cant remember the name of the other remote app, so will check it out later.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
anybody holding out for the new blackberry 10 phones? :leaving:

I'm using a bold 9900 right now and it just sucks hard. I loved BB before, than switched to iPhone for a few months, back to BB for the physical keyboard again and now I'm going back to iPhone 5. Never again blackberry, I'm always having all kinds of problems with it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Just pre-ordered the iPhone 5 (white, 64gb) for my wife.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Just pre-ordered the iPhone 5 (white, 64gb) for my wife.

Wow 64gb on a phone? I think I will go with the 16gb version and dont even know how I could possibly fill that.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If you had any idea how much of my disposable income goes to fuel my wife's iTunes addiction....

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Get her to use spotify ;)

Stam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 3, 2012
Norway, Oslo
I will also go for a 64gb iphone 5. Why? Because I got the 16gb iphone 4 now, and Audible with many audio books fills it up, Dropbox fills up, and videos of seminars to watch on travels takes up a huge portion, its now 256kb free, which means I have to delete something, which is not funny...

Its all about your use of the phone :) But get as much gb you can afford is my advice.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
32 GB is the sweet spot for me...I've filled up my 16 gb after about 6-8 months. I ordered a white 32 GB iPhone 5 for myself.

916decker

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Galaxy S3 is my vote of those 2 but I really like the Galaxy Note. Very highly reguarded Androids. I also have about 100 bucks in android apps Id rather not give up.

Apple was always decent to me but I hated the email client. Love maildroid!

What paid apps do you have for your Android?

What are some of your must-have/favorite apps?

I ask cuz with Android it seems like there's always apps that fall under "good, better, and best"

XavierYZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 23, 2012
Somewhere in Ontario
Vigilante said:
I think the Blackberry will be dead within 18 months.

will they have enough cash to last them that long? what was it 500 million dollar loss last quarter? Blackberry demise will become a case study for business schools

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What paid apps do you have for your Android?

What are some of your must-have/favorite apps?

I ask cuz with Android it seems like there's always apps that fall under "good, better, and best"

AmEx, Chase, Evernote, Maildroid Premium, WordPress, Tapatalk, Dropbox, Mr. Number, Textplus gold (for intl travel), Spotify, Phone.com, CamCard, Chrome, EBay, Juice Defender ultimate (my battery life is pitiful), JazzRadio, Kindle for night reading.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I switched from iPhone 4 to Blackberry Bold 9900 end of 2011, because I couldnt type properly on the iPhone. But I'm hating my blackberry more each day. So in the next weeks it will go on ebay and I will get the new iPhone.

Also switched from lenovo thinkpad to macbook pro last summer. switched back to sony vaio in the end of 2011 because I needed to run windows software and simply switched the mac for a new vaio. Same thing as with the blackberry. Will switch back to a macbook air in the next few months.

Simply said: blackberry/android and windows are often a hassle to use/set up properly. with apple products its just easy and quick and allows you to focus on the important things.

I have owned Dell, Gateway, Acer, Apple, Toshiba, MSI, HP, and Sony. The build quality of a Lenovo is the best out of them all. I just went back to Lenovo computers. Got a new laptop and desktop last week.

All I really care about is build quality. I do not game or edit videos. I need a computer that will quickly manage contracts and operate outlook so I got core I3 with 6gb of memory in the laptop and a quad core AMD thing with 8gb of memory in the desktop. I absolutely love windows live mesh. It is like I have one computer, all of my stuff syncs. They will get the windows 8 upgrade.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%