I just responded to an interesting thread (http://thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?p=28476) in which business valuation was discussed.
I thought it might be worthwhile to give you a simple case where a business is for sale, to see if you'd buy it, and what price you'd pay.
The (fake) case
A widget company based in Somewhereville, USA.
EDIT - This is a completely passive business. You are evaluating a going concern, which doesn't require any (mandatory) presence of yours.
The question
1. How much would you pay for this business? Providing this business performed exactly as I described above, every month for the next 25 years, how much would you pay?
I want you to write a number. Just analyse what it would be worth under these conditions.
2. How did you come up with this number?
3. What are the key things you want to know before you'd invest?
I'm looking forward to this, I like working this stuff out. Hopefully you do too!
Daniel.
I thought it might be worthwhile to give you a simple case where a business is for sale, to see if you'd buy it, and what price you'd pay.
The (fake) case
A widget company based in Somewhereville, USA.
- Income: $20,000 per month from widget sales.
- Expenses: $8,000 per month (salaries, insurance, lease)
- Gross profit: $12,000.
EDIT - This is a completely passive business. You are evaluating a going concern, which doesn't require any (mandatory) presence of yours.
The question
1. How much would you pay for this business? Providing this business performed exactly as I described above, every month for the next 25 years, how much would you pay?
I want you to write a number. Just analyse what it would be worth under these conditions.
2. How did you come up with this number?
3. What are the key things you want to know before you'd invest?
I'm looking forward to this, I like working this stuff out. Hopefully you do too!
Daniel.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
