The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Investing in Tax Liens via auction, anyone participate?

Taxes and regulation

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
With the end of the year and a new year starting, it could only mean one thing: County governments start holding their tax lien sale auctions.

Investing in Property Tax Liens | Investopedia

I've been thinking about throwing some "FU" money into some certificates, both Maricopa and Coconino (N. Sedona / Flag) do their sales online. While the general MO for investors is to go after homes in nice areas, I'm looking at focusing on raw land.

Question, does anyone here invest in tax liens? Or tried?

Arizona is a 16% tax lien state, with interest rates bid down.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Let me see if I have this correct. Basically you are buying a debt secured on the land/property for x cents on the dollar (highest bidder wins).

The property owner then pays you back with interest and within a 3 years period otherwise they forfeit the property?

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Basically you are buying a debt secured on the land/property for x cents on the dollar (highest bidder wins).

The property owner then pays you back with interest and within a 3 years period otherwise they forfeit the property?

Yes, but not that simple.

It gives you the right to foreclose, and that instance is rare. And if it does happen, there's pretty much a guarantee there will be an underwater mortgage as well.

The certificate is in first lien position so you get paid first when resolved.

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 2, 2013
Years ago I took a course and have read books on tax lien investing. Definitely a lucritive investment it seems—most common case is you see the guaranteed return on your money. I’ve heard it’s a fairly small chance you’ll actually take ownership of the property since the lender will almost always step in to pay the taxes owed to avoid losing the property.

I never really jumped in and invested any money though, seemed like a lot of work being a Canadian citizen to go through the process.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I’ve heard it’s a fairly small chance you’ll actually take ownership of the property

Yea, you don't do this with the presumption of getting a property cheap.

ned.ryerson

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 14, 2018
Everytime I look into it I walk away thinking there's just easier ways to make money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Shepherd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 10, 2017
We just won a bid on some adjacent farm ground we hope the owners don't pay up on. It was interesting to talk to the bidders. Most of them were proxy bidders for investors all over the country. Many had a niche as far as the type of properties they bid on. The process was very clean, all the bids took less than an hour total.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Everytime I look into it I walk away thinking there's just easier ways to make money.

Depends on your state's laws. Are you looking at it from the perspective of filing for a foreclosure?

I'm looking at it from an investor, money-system perspective with a built in securitization.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
Last edited:

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
Very lucrative but there is some risk and it takes some research & coordination. Its a lottery in my area, they draw a bidder number for each parcel and you get a couple seconds to say yeah or nay. The big buyers bring a few million dollars and 50-100 bidders so their numbers get called. Interest accrues at 2% per month. You have to keep paying the taxes and after 3 years you can start foreclosure. Most of the decent properties pay off fairly quickly. Anything left to foreclose on is often times garbage. I have seen some crazy deals fall through the cracks though like a brand new house lost for a few grand in taxes.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I hired an attorney to meddle between two people locking horns in a lawsuit. One party lost 10 acres to a tax lien foreclosure. He is suing the other party for improper foreclosure. I wanted to purchase the parcel from the latter until the lawsuit started.

There are issues though. The original party has the land blocked off from access. Of course you can file a suit to gain access but it is a costly hassle.

My attorney said that no title company in my neck of the woods would insure a tax lien policy until it has seasoned for a couple of years.

We have offered to use our money to purchase. Title goes back to the original owner and then to us. Our purchase dollars would be split among both parties. And, we are granted access by the original owner. They both settle the lawsuit with money going to them and we get land that can be subdivided and sold.

Last edited:

Shepherd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 10, 2017
I learned yesterday that our lawyer uncovered the details of the farm we bought. Evidently the Executor (older sibling) has been pocketing the rent moneys over the years and not paying taxes while the younger sibling who actually stands to inherit the property is none the wiser. Amazing what people will do to each other for money.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
I've been thinking about throwing some "FU" money into some certificates, both Maricopa and Coconino (N. Sedona / Flag) do their sales online. While the general MO for investors is to go after homes in nice areas, I'm looking at focusing on raw land.

Out of curiosity, why land in those counties? Is there development opportunity?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Out of curiosity, why land in those counties? Is there development opportunity?

They both have online bid processes and yes, those counties would have the most appealing opportunities because they harbor 2 of larger population centers in Arizona.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
They both have online bid processes and yes, those counties would have the most appealing opportunities because they harbor 2 of larger population centers in Arizona.

Is that you want to go after tax liens or you want to invest in land?

I’m no expert in the tax lien process but it sounds difficult. Also, sounds like there is little control over the outcome according the AZ state laws. Which is understandable because the government wants to give the current owners every chance to pay their obligations. I know here in TN the owners retain a lot of rights and opportunities to recoup the property. That’s why I’ve never looked into it here. Each state has different processes.

I was going to suggest, if you were interested in throwing your money at land for a long term play, to market to vacant land owners directly. Get a list of vacant land owners in those counties. Especially ones where there actual names listed as the owners and not an LLC. Send them a direct mail campaign saying you want to buy land and they can save a lot of money in realtor commissions by selling to you.

I know around here that there is public information about people who are behind on their property taxes but haven’t started the lien process. So, they might be targeted motivated sellers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.