The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Invested life-savings with an ex-con, now I fear it's a ponzi!

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I want to believe this story is fake.

I just can't believe people can be this stupid.

Even the commenters are questioning its truthfulness.

Are people really this stupid with their money?

You invest your life savings with an ex-con convicted of financial fraud and now you're worried about losing everything?

As someone said, you're either exceedingly greedy, or criminally stupid.

We plundered our 401(k) to invest in a friend’s business — now we fear it’s a Ponzi scheme

We are in a sticky situation and need some advice on how we should proceed.

We had a friend who has had some success (and failure) in business. He was sent to federal prison for two years for signing off on falsified financial documents as an executive of a company. He claims he somewhat knew but was also sort of tricked into it, or at least was backed into a corner. Whatever...

But after his release he got himself back on his feet fairly swiftly. And when I say friend, this isn’t a casual acquaintance: My wife, 55, has been best friends with his wife since they were toddlers. My wife met him in high school and actually introduced them to one another, so that is definitely a complicating factor.

After two years in prison, he presented an ‘investment opportunity’
In August 2015, he approached us with an investment opportunity. Since his conviction he is no longer allowed to helm a publicly traded company, but he was running his own private company, a social media site for tweens. We even attended some high-level events like anti-bullying campaigns.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

socaldude

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2012
Mexico
I think it's probably true.

It's pretty common for someone to get ripped-off in some overpromised business deal. But I think most are not public because of embarrassment.

If they would have just done due-diligence like a lot of professional investors they would have realized it was a scam.

I mean even just asking some questions. Kind of like being interrogated by the FBI or crossed examined by an attorney would have exposed some BS.

Lies, even elaborate ones from clever con artists usually don't stand hold up to a lot of hard questions.

• Admin
OP
OP
MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
If they would have just done due-diligence like a lot of professional investors they would have realized it was a scam.
What gets me is NOT that they were scammed or lost money ... we're all guilty of that.

What gets me is they invested their life savings on a crap roll.

It's OK to gamble on investments and businesses -- its NOT OK to gamble your entire life savings on it -- the only exception I see is when you fully control and understand the business -- but even that is a bit too much...

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
I want to believe this story is fake.

I just can't believe people can be this stupid.

Even the commenters are questioning its truthfulness.

Are people really this stupid with their money?

You invest your life savings with an ex-con convicted of financial fraud and now you're worried about losing everything?

As someone said, you're either exceedingly greedy, or criminally stupid.

We plundered our 401(k) to invest in a friend’s business — now we fear it’s a Ponzi scheme
Well that was a dumb move, to say the least.

Hope they are able to salvage the situation somehow, and learn from it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Big thanks to @Fox and to @mjb234 (a student of this course) for helping me with my business’s...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock