The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Invest in/Buy established business?

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
So I have this doubt, what information would you look at if you were to invest or buy an established business?

Income, Profit, Employess...What else?? :coffee:

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Consider the business type, and attempt to forecast what future growth may be and where it may come from. Is there a market for what you are buying into. Why is the business for sale? owner retiring, business not doing well, health issues......etc.

Like those that have suggested in my questions as to whether or not to sell my business......do you like the business? could you see yourself getting up every day to go and run it, would you have a passion for it?

justa few quick points that come to mind

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

My question is more about the numbers though.

ATM Im not looking to invest in any business but I would like to know this just in case.

For example:

Would I buy / invest a business that:

Has X cashflow
X profit
X employees
X market share

And so on...kind of spreadsheet approach

I hope I'm being clear since my english is not very good :smxE:

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
First, your English is great and your question is plenty clear! What you're asking is tough to answer. What numbers you should look at and what values they should be would be based on the type of business. As well, just like buying stocks, past performance is no indication of future performance. You should be assessing how the current #'s stack up to similar businesses, can it grow further etc and my other previous posted comments. You need to look at the entire package, not just the #'s.

GL with whatever you decide.

Hoop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Dec 8, 2007
Jorge - as the other folks have suggested, this is a tough question. And, like most things financial, it all starts with what you are looking for....cashflow or appreciation.

If cashflow, you would be looking for how efficiently the business generates its revenue. A basic measure of this is EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortation). It accounts for revenue, cost of goods sold, and the big black hole of general and administrative expenses. If you wanted to add back in all of the taxes, interest, etc., Net Income is all you need.

Of course, then the question is if the company is paying dividends..if not, no cash flow for you.

If appreciation is the goal, well it depends on the industry the business is in. If that segment is valued by cashflow (multiple of EBITDA), then the above remains front and center, but your analyis is how the business will improve its EBITDA. Some businesses will appreciate soley on revenue, so how will the business increase sales. I am sure there are additional metrics that others could list for you.

All of this gets us back to some basics:

The Business: does it make sense?
The Team: who is running the business and what is their experience?
The Revenue: there is no profit without the "potential" for profit, ie. Revenue/Gross Margin
The Analysis: P/L, Cashflow Analysis, and Balance Sheet
The Investment: What is the deal.."Is my investment being used to keep the lights on or to open new distribution channels? New and efficient manufacturing processes? What is the exit plan, etc.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Great feedback hoop! ++rep!

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I think there's not much to ask...

Thanks for the input, it was really helpful! :thankyousign:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.