The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction - Mind Reclaiming

Calebx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Aug 24, 2023
Hello everyone!

I'm 24 years old and was introduced to the book "Unscripted " on the recommendation of a high school friend. This friend, intriguingly, never pursued college. Throughout the years, I kept hearing from him about dropping out and working on an app, which unfortunately didn't take off. However, he later transitioned to developing a gaming application. Today, he earns approximately 200k-300k every quarter and employs 2-3 people. His most profound advice to me was simple: read "Unscripted ."

Having started it this past Monday, I'm already around 60%-70% through. I won't lie; it's a challenging read.

A little about me: I'm 24, never attended college, and finished high school with a 1.8 GPA. My career began in a mundane cubicle job but eventually pivoted into IT. Currently, I earn a comfortable 85k annually with great benefits. Everyone around me, from my parents to my fiancé and friends, believes I've got it all. However, I often find myself feeling discontented. The insights in the first half of "Unscripted " resonate deeply with me.

Regrettably, I recognize many of my shortcomings highlighted in the book. For instance, I've been guilty of indulging in empty action items. Two years ago, I set up an LLC, printed business cards, and aspired to become an IT Consultant. That venture, however, never took off and was eventually dissolved without earning a dollar. I also struggle with comparing my achievements and possessions to others, which often diminishes my sense of self-worth.

As I continue reading, I'm not only seeking business wisdom but also broader life guidance. I often find myself playing the victim: blaming the government for my inability to buy a house due to high interest rates or attributing my lack of success to not having the "right" connections. My most significant revelation so far is the urgent need to change my mindset before diving into the entrepreneurial world.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Erintran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 19, 2023
United States
Hello everyone!

I'm 24 years old and was introduced to the book "Unscripted " on the recommendation of a high school friend. This friend, intriguingly, never pursued college. Throughout the years, I kept hearing from him about dropping out and working on an app, which unfortunately didn't take off. However, he later transitioned to developing a gaming application. Today, he earns approximately 200k-300k every quarter and employs 2-3 people. His most profound advice to me was simple: read "Unscripted ."

Having started it this past Monday, I'm already around 60%-70% through. I won't lie; it's a challenging read.

A little about me: I'm 24, never attended college, and finished high school with a 1.8 GPA. My career began in a mundane cubicle job but eventually pivoted into IT. Currently, I earn a comfortable 85k annually with great benefits. Everyone around me, from my parents to my fiancé and friends, believes I've got it all. However, I often find myself feeling discontented. The insights in the first half of "Unscripted " resonate deeply with me.

Regrettably, I recognize many of my shortcomings highlighted in the book. For instance, I've been guilty of indulging in empty action items. Two years ago, I set up an LLC, printed business cards, and aspired to become an IT Consultant. That venture, however, never took off and was eventually dissolved without earning a dollar. I also struggle with comparing my achievements and possessions to others, which often diminishes my sense of self-worth.

As I continue reading, I'm not only seeking business wisdom but also broader life guidance. I often find myself playing the victim: blaming the government for my inability to buy a house due to high interest rates or attributing my lack of success to not having the "right" connections. My most significant revelation so far is the urgent need to change my mindset before diving into the entrepreneurial world.
Welome to the Fastlane Forum - I'm new here too. I really enjoyed reading your summary above. Why? Because you've reclaimed the lost art of taking what's swimming around in your head and writing it down in an articulate way - hopefully more for yourself than for all of us (although this Forum is a great place to write it because it also benefits all of us). It's harder than it sounds because we often believe what's in our head is super clear until we try to write it out.

The work of writing is really an effort to acknowledge where things are actually at and where we want them to be. It makes the gap easier to see. It's also action. And action trumps thinking Every. Single. Time.

I'm much further along in my life journey and I followed a path of college and then career although no one asked or expected or pushed me into college. In fact, the fact it wasn't expected (the expecation was find a guy, get married, be a housewife and take care of kids), was the reason I saved money, took out student loans and went. To prove to myself that I could be more than 'someone's wife'. Earlier this year, I left my executive role in a global company so that I could do 'my own thing'. Except I'm more than 20 years older than you so you've got a 20+ year head start on me :)

And guess what, I'm still going to do it and I believe you will do you, independent of my choices. It's not age, nor schooling that's material here. Find your value and add it to the world. When you do that, comparison becomes irrelevant because the only yardstick you care about is your performance yesterday vs. today.

akshayazariah

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 24, 2023
It's hard to say exactly what sort of guidance you need, but it would appear that you're at least a little self-aware.

Maybe start at the bottom? Find out what's holding you back - is it bad habits like social media indulgence? Then replace those with more productive habits that enable growth in a more constructive way. Set some goals, and then discipline yourself to achieve them. Then set bigger, more intimidating goals that require more exertion.

Calebx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Aug 24, 2023
It's hard to say exactly what sort of guidance you need, but it would appear that you're at least a little self-aware.

Maybe start at the bottom? Find out what's holding you back - is it bad habits like social media indulgence? Then replace those with more productive habits that enable growth in a more constructive way. Set some goals, and then discipline yourself to achieve them. Then set bigger, more intimidating goals that require more exertion.
I was just introducing myself! I have a few goals and changes I'm working on.

Productive habits are for sure where I need to start. Over the past months I have deleted social media before even reading the book. I've been working out more and all that stuff. However the one thing I need to work on is my perception of others. I have begun setting goals short and long term and it has helped.

I just need to find some inner self peace and be happy for others and only compete with myself. My constant need to compare myself to others makes it hard to be happy for them and makes me feel worst which is 100% how it shouldn't be. However this book really really solidified that and I'm making a consciousness effort to change that mindset.

Currently working with the state to pay past due fees on my LLC and get it reinstated so I can start pursuing several ideas/services that I want but still be able to write them off as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Calebx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Aug 24, 2023
Welome to the Fastlane Forum - I'm new here too. I really enjoyed reading your summary above. Why? Because you've reclaimed the lost art of taking what's swimming around in your head and writing it down in an articulate way - hopefully more for yourself than for all of us (although this Forum is a great place to write it because it also benefits all of us). It's harder than it sounds because we often believe what's in our head is super clear until we try to write it out.

The work of writing is really an effort to acknowledge where things are actually at and where we want them to be. It makes the gap easier to see. It's also action. And action trumps thinking Every. Single. Time.

I'm much further along in my life journey and I followed a path of college and then career although no one asked or expected or pushed me into college. In fact, the fact it wasn't expected (the expecation was find a guy, get married, be a housewife and take care of kids), was the reason I saved money, took out student loans and went. To prove to myself that I could be more than 'someone's wife'. Earlier this year, I left my executive role in a global company so that I could do 'my own thing'. Except I'm more than 20 years older than you so you've got a 20+ year head start on me :)

And guess what, I'm still going to do it and I believe you will do you, independent of my choices. It's not age, nor schooling that's material here. Find your value and add it to the world. When you do that, comparison becomes irrelevant because the only yardstick you care about is your performance yesterday vs. today.
Wow!

I really appreciate your first paragraph there. I've been going through extensive therapy and it has helped me be able to articulate my thoughts. I ended up going because my fiancé recommended it. She saw that I was deeply unhappy and couldn't put my finger on it.

Now I'm in a much better place and this book was the final nail in the coffin for solidifying the source of my unhappiness. It's not a chemical imbalance or environment. It's my own my mindset. Through the past few months I've made changes to my daily routine in terms of eating, working out etc that have been huge. Now I plan to start taking the next steps to free myself of the 9-5 grind. I spent too much time comparing myself to others and blaming the government for why it was hard to succeed and make a lot of money. In reality I was being lazy and a victim.

Also congrats on taking your first steps as well. Luckily I don't need to quit my job quite yet. I have a lot of freedom as I work from home and am project based. My company is very chill so I can silently grind on my own projects as needed. Plus the skills I'm learning from my job directly apply to things I plan to pursue and implement under my LLC.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...