The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction: Michael from Denmark

Schultan

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 7, 2023
Hello all,

I'm Michael and I'm joining from Denmark. I'm a 37 year old project manager. For those of you that don't know, education is free here. Not only that, we get paid around 800$ per month and qualify for cheap housing while studying. Naturally, growing up everyone is told: Get yourself an education, land a job and contribute to the state until you're 65, then retire. So, I did just that and graduated in January 2009, while the financial crisis was in full bloom and there were literally no jobs to be found.

To keep my self above water I managed to land a job cleaning trains. My family and friends looked at me with pity in their eyes, but I quickly learned that it wasn't that bad. Turns out I was the only one working the night shift, and while being alone was a bit lonely at times, I also didn't have a boss breathing down my neck. I could just sit on my a$$ for 6 hours straight and then do the bare minimum for 1,5 hours without consequence.

Turns out, scrubbing toilets and scraping gum of off tables is not that unpleasant when the only thing driving you is your professional pride and not some obnoxious middle manager screaming at you. The experience set my eyes on entrepreneurship and wanting to be my own boss. Ever since I've been bouncing from idea to idea, never actually doing any work. I'd spent my entire time day dreaming about how nice I would be once I've made it and telling my self I just need that one perfect idea.

Once the financial crisis was over I found relevant job, and I've been dreaming and grinding at work ever since. My slowlane career is going the way society expects, making good money in exchange for the dreaded 5:2.

Fast forward to summer 2023, I was going on vacation with my wife and wanted to bring a book to read while relaxing at the pool. I usually read science fiction books but by a coincidence I saw the Millionaire Fastlane , and on a whim decided why not. It was quite an eyeopener, and I quickly consumed all of MJ's books. And it didn't stop there, I've stopped reading fiction and switched to self help and educational books entirely. It gives me a huge boost in motivation, and I'm actually getting things done now, instead of just dreaming about it.

My first venture is a multi vendor marketplace for a very fragmented local niche. I'm sure it probably won't make me a millionaire, but right now I don't really care that much about the money. I just want to get my feet wet and learn.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Welcome to the forum, @Schultan .

Entrepreneurship will be much different then scrubbing toilets. Sure, you wouldn't have a boss breathing down your neck, but your company will cease to exist if you put in the bare minimum.

Plus, your customers are like your boss. They very well could be breathing down your neck.

With that being said, Entrepreneurship should provide you with a much more fulfilling life.

I've lived in Denmark for a bit of time, both in Copenhagen and just north of Aarhus. A great country to live in!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Funny the mention of scrubbing toilets...

I could start a business that focuses only on cleaning public bathrooms in stores, restaurants, and other public locations, I'd be perfectly happy with it. Every bathroom I use in a store is usually filthy.

Speaking of which, that sounds like a pretty good idea...

Schultan

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 7, 2023
Welcome to the forum, @Schultan .

Entrepreneurship will be much different then scrubbing toilets. Sure, you wouldn't have a boss breathing down your neck, but your company will cease to exist if you put in the bare minimum.

Plus, your customers are like your boss. They very well could be breathing down your neck.

With that being said, Entrepreneurship should provide you with a much more fulfilling life.

I've lived in Denmark for a bit of time, both in Copenhagen and just north of Aarhus. A great country to live in!
It's not that I only put in the bare minimum, the point I was trying to make is that motivation changes everything.
For me, my professional pride kicked in. No one was ever going to check up on my work, but I felt a great sense of responsibility because of that. Sort of like I was the only thing saving these poor customers from dirty toilets and bins full of trash. In other words, adding value and getting paid for it instead of just putting in my hours.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...