The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction - Just quit my job

mat287

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 8, 2021
Hey guys,
I wanted to give myself an intro to the forum.

I Recently Quit my job. I worked for a large company for 3.5+ years making over 6 figures every year.

Why did I quit? The work was mind numbing and boring. Everyone who worked there complained daily about how much they hated working there (including myself). I began to question daily why any of us were there. The work was fake. It was all about signaling work being done to upper management. Nothing else. We created no actual value. We were very replaceable. All of us.

On top of feeling this way, it also made my home life pretty miserable. I never wanted to do anything after work. It sucked all my energy. Sundays barely counted as a day off because it meant one day until Monday.

The job slowly made me resentful and depressed. I would ask myself daily how the f*ck am I going to do this for the next 40 years? Why am I even going to do this if I despise being here?

I quit 3 weeks ago. I believe this was the FTE that MJ talked about in his book.

I honestly have no idea what is in store for me. I currently am turning a software project that Ive worked on and off for the past 3 years into a business. Being that a large portion of it has already been completed, I can launch this site easily within the next month or 2. If any of you guys play daily fantasy sports or gamble, Ill give you the url once its production ready.

Even if this fails, Ill be happy that I tried.

I dont know if Ill ever enter the corporate world again. I might. But it seems very unlikely if I would at this point. The only feasible way for me to do that would be a career change into something like pharmacy or nursing.

I do know this though. I will never willingly trade my time to do something that I hate or dont believe in again. Im not anti work, anti effort, anti 80+ hour work weeks. If I feel like Im creating value for people and making their lives better, Id be happy to work all the time. Its something that gives me meaning in my life.

With that being said, Im anti mindless and valueless work and work that is solely signaling that something is being done for the higher ups. If I end up as a social worker truly helping people for 12 dollars an hour, Ill at least be fulfilled.

In summation, this reminds me of a Nietzsche quote: "He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Im hoping to find my why in this epoch of my life

I just turned 27 a few days ago, so wish me luck

PS. I also just became voluntarily homeless. I lived in the northeast my entire life. I will be driving somewhat aimlessly around the country for the next one to two months until I find my new home. Ive listed 5 potential cities and wanted some input from people that have lived in or visited these places. 1. Tampa 2. Miami 3. Dallas 4. Austin 5. Nashville. I am currently in Tampa and am heavily leaning between this place and Dallas at the moment. I would rather not move again after I settle in one of these places.

What I am looking for: 1. Cheap cost of living 2. Sunny/warm weather 3. Good Economy 4. Younger people 5. Areas that are not heavily blue (like 90% plus).

On paper Dallas seems to be the obvious choice. The only downside is that I love the water. Its not a dealbreaker, but Id prefer it.

Tampa seems great from a weather, water, cheap cola perspective. However, it also scares me a bit with its retirement population and avg age of 43 years old. Being that Im brand new to any of these areas, Id like it to be easy to make friends and date on top of a solid business environment. Im currently single and would like to have a family by the time Im in my late 30s, so dating is somewhat important to me. I also dont want to be in an area where my entire potential pool of friends are retirees. My first business is tied directly into sports gambling (basically allowing users to easily emulate the strategies that professional gamblers to do to help them be competitive. And yes, they work. I just dont like gambling myself because I get locked into the screen and waste hours a day watching sports if I bet), so having a population that is into sports will be helpful for my first business. If this fails, Id likely stick with software being that is what is currently in my arsenal of selling specialized skills/units.

Any insights and opinions would be appreciated

Thanks
Mike
@MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, some guts! I don't generally advise quitting a job unless you got something in the pipeline with revenue.

Keep us updated please!

Welcome to the forum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.