The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction Into Real Life Business the Old Fashioned Way

Tristan2k0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 4, 2014
Southern Colorado
Hey guys so a few days ago I had sort of a revelation. I noticed how dirty my window wells in my house are and how much it sucks to clean them!

After reading chapter 36 "Find Your Open Road" of TMFL it really got my gears turning. I looked out into my window well and remembered I still have to clean it....as well as the 5 others. It's somewhat of a dangerous task. Black Widows love to live inside of them...rattlesnakes, and all the other creepy crawlies. A lot of people are probably unwilling and or incapable of cleaning there window wells themselves (fears, too old, disabled,lazy)

This is where I feel like I can offer great value to my community. I have done research and found 0 companies in my area that offer the service. I found one actually 2 hours away and got some ideas from their model. Here is what the service looks like so far.

Window Well Cleaning Service:
All foreign debris (trash/foliage/toys) removed
Spider removal
Spider/Insect preventative treatment
Well walls cleaned
Debridement of all tracks and canals
Overgrowth and weeds removed
Weed treatment application
Windows cleaned and Hard Water stains removed
Ground dug down deeper to prevent flooding of the windows
Gravel/Rocks added

This is what I have so far. I have also thought about adding window well art scenes to my service.
I plan on marketing via facebook, door to door, and through the newspaper/mail. Still working on the marketing aspect.

This is my first step into working for myself. I just turned 20 and I feel that this has been long overdue. So tell me what you think, good or bad idea? Any questions or comments? Anything is appreciated! Thanks for your time!

-Tristan M.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Hey guys so a few days ago I had sort of a revelation. I noticed how dirty my window wells in my house are and how much it sucks to clean them!

After reading chapter 36 "Find Your Open Road" of TMFL it really got my gears turning. I looked out into my window well and remembered I still have to clean it....as well as the 5 others. It's somewhat of a dangerous task. Black Widows love to live inside of them...rattlesnakes, and all the other creepy crawlies. A lot of people are probably unwilling and or incapable of cleaning there window wells themselves (fears, too old, disabled,lazy)

This is where I feel like I can offer great value to my community. I have done research and found 0 companies in my area that offer the service. I found one actually 2 hours away and got some ideas from their model. Here is what the service looks like so far.

Spider removal
Well walls cleaned
Gravel/Rocks added

This is what I have so far. I have also thought about adding window well art scenes to my service.
I plan on marketing via facebook, door to door, and through the newspaper/mail. Still working on the marketing aspect.

This is my first step into working for myself. I just turned 20 and I feel that this has been long overdue. So tell me what you think, good or bad idea? Any questions or comments? Anything is appreciated! Thanks for your time!

-Tristan M.

Give it a shot man! You will learn more by just trying it, than you would waiting around for a better idea!

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011

Spider removal
Well walls cleaned
Gravel/Rocks added

-Tristan M.

Or I can just let them stay dirty.. It's not vital to anyone's livelyhood and therefore you can't charge a premium. Just because it's easy to do and everyone has dirty windows means you can run a profitable business around it.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Or I can just let them stay dirty.. It's not vital to anyone's livelyhood and therefore you can't charge a premium. Just because it's easy to do and everyone has dirty windows means you can run a profitable business around it.
It's urgent and important enough to people who want their windows clean. And yes, you can charge a premium.

@Tristan2k0 good luck with execution.

Last edited:

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Sounds like it might be a viable need. Perhaps test the market with some low cost ads. (Local websites, Craigslist, paper fliers, etc.)

As you're thinking and planning, don't forget to plan your future business model. Do you want this to become your J.O.B., or do you want to hire teams of guys to work for you and free up your time???

Tristan2k0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 4, 2014
Southern Colorado
Give it a shot man! You will learn more by just trying it, than you would waiting around for a better idea!
Yes sir, waiting is the opposite of doing. If I'm not moving forwards I'm moving backwards!

Tristan2k0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 4, 2014
Southern Colorado
It's urgent and important enough to people who want their windows clean. And yes, you can charge a premium.

@Tristan2k0 good luck with execution.
I feel most people who don't have the time/resources to clean them would definitely pay for me to clean them up for them! Not totally sure what I should charge, think I'll start out at either $20 - $30 per window well

Tristan2k0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 4, 2014
Southern Colorado
Sounds like it might be a viable need. Perhaps test the market with some low cost ads. (Local websites, Craigslist, paper fliers, etc.)

As you're thinking and planning, don't forget to plan your future business model. Do you want this to become your J.O.B., or do you want to hire teams of guys to work for you and free up your time???
Yeah I plan on doing exactly that. Have a few friends who would work for me, I definitely don't want it to become a J.O.B.
Doing it right now myself to pay off my Electrical school tuition. That's priority #1

Tristan2k0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 4, 2014
Southern Colorado
Window Genie made the inc500...The big picture is chaining or franchising. Build your system, box it up, and sell it to other locals looking for an affordable franchise.
Yeah exactly, if it's been done before there's no excuse for me. Thanks for the advice man!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.