The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introducing myself: an Ex pre-med

Brett Beckwith

Meat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 4, 2018
Iowa
My name is Brett, I'm 19 years old and currently a student at the University of Iowa. My major is Biomedical Engineering - premed. My original plan was to become an orthopedic surgeon, but after coming to realization that a huge time sink comes with the career, I've decided that it's not worth it, despite its intriguing salary. Instead, I wish to put my time into chasing financial freedom, so I can actually enjoy life, be healthy, and spend time with family.

Although I plan on being an entrepreneur, I do plan on finishing college with maximum effort. I feel that the degree will help slightly with any coding or idea development, and I'm genuinely interested in the subject. It is helpful that I do have college already paid for, thanks to scholarships and savings.

As I go through college, I plan on spending my free time on reading books and focusing on developing my E-commerce business 'b2 Commerce LLC.' My goal is to leave college wealthier than I would be with my "dream job."

Not to mention, I love powerlifting. I've already broken some national records, and I plan to break multiple collegiate national and world records.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Brett, have you told anyone you are discontinuing the surgeon route?

Brett Beckwith

Meat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 4, 2018
Iowa
Welcome Brett, have you told anyone you are discontinuing the surgeon route?

No I have not. I will be shadowing some doctors in early August, and most likely after that I will tell my parents that route is not for me. I'm curious to see how this is going to play out, but considering my dad is a successful entrepreneur himself, I feel it will be fine.

Ryan G

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Dec 6, 2017
Iowa
Hey @Brett Beckwith - The best of luck with your educational shift and your entrepreneurial journey. It's always nice to see people figure out the Unscripted way at a young age.

P.S. I'm a U of Iowa (School of Management) grad from just a "few" years back.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Hey @Brett Beckwith - The best of luck with your educational shift and your entrepreneurial journey. It's always nice to see people figure out the Unscripted way at a young age.

P.S. I'm a U of Iowa (School of Management) grad from just a "few" years back.
Any helpful lessons from U of I (School of Management)?

Ryan G

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Dec 6, 2017
Iowa
Any helpful lessons from U of I (School of Management)?

I don't want to hijack Brett's thread here, but since the question is related to the same college he's currently attending I'll give my quick two cents...

My helpful lessons from college? Well, I spent a lot of money for a piece of paper. And, that piece of paper has been used for many years to keep me in the slow lane.

Granted, I could have greatly improved my undergrad experience if I would have focused more time on entrepreneurship and building friendships with like-minded people.

Regardless, I still wouldn't change a thing because it's all a part of my unscripted and fast lane journey.

FalconMD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
May 12, 2017
Sweden
My name is Brett, I'm 19 years old and currently a student at the University of Iowa. My major is Biomedical Engineering - premed. My original plan was to become an orthopedic surgeon, but after coming to realization that a huge time sink comes with the career, I've decided that it's not worth it, despite its intriguing salary. Instead, I wish to put my time into chasing financial freedom, so I can actually enjoy life, be healthy, and spend time with family.

Although I plan on being an entrepreneur, I do plan on finishing college with maximum effort. I feel that the degree will help slightly with any coding or idea development, and I'm genuinely interested in the subject. It is helpful that I do have college already paid for, thanks to scholarships and savings.

As I go through college, I plan on spending my free time on reading books and focusing on developing my E-commerce business 'b2 Commerce LLC.' My goal is to leave college wealthier than I would be with my "dream job."

Not to mention, I love powerlifting. I've already broken some national records, and I plan to break multiple collegiate national and world records.
Welcome to the forum! I've been looking for a thread where I could hopefully add some value. I am a medical doctor currently doing residency in Sweden. In short, I think you're making the right call. I'm impressed that you've reached this conclusion so early, and not after being 12 years down the line as I am.

I work in another country than the US, but from what I understand from people I've spoken with active in the US is that the competition just to get into popular residencies such as orthopedics is crushing. And what awaits you after that? 80 hour work weeks. One of my best friends is an orthopedic surgeon and these days it seems most of our conversations are about what we can do other than medicine, even though we both love the job and always dreamed about it.

I work in anesthesia and critical care, which is a really exciting and adrenaline-filled specialty and the job can be very rewarding. However, it is still a job. You have to be on site a lot of hours, study and do research on your "free time". Our schedule is finished 4-5 months before it starts, and if something fun comes up? Too bad. You have low flexibility and low control. And the pay is'nt really that high if you consider the amount of hours you work, especially if you pay as high taxes as we do in Sweden (pay yourself last). You also have a limit on how much you can earn by just being a doctor seeing patients (though this varies between countries and specialties). There is nowhere near a fastlane or even a guaranteed financial security in being a doctor.

Also much of the control over the hospitals and even how/what medical treatment is/should be provided is moving from doctors to administrators/politicians, who have no medical education at all. So the actual control you have over your work is decreasing, which is very frustrating - since you are still the one with the responsibility for the patient if something goes wrong. As I said before, I'm working in another country and things might be different in the US.

If you have any questions that I might be able to answer or help with, just ask here or send me a message and I'll do my best to answer.

I wish you the best of luck!

Brett Beckwith

Meat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 4, 2018
Iowa
Welcome to the forum! I've been looking for a thread where I could hopefully add some value. I am a medical doctor currently doing residency in Sweden. In short, I think you're making the right call. I'm impressed that you've reached this conclusion so early, and not after being 12 years down the line as I am.

I work in another country than the US, but from what I understand from people I've spoken with active in the US is that the competition just to get into popular residencies such as orthopedics is crushing. And what awaits you after that? 80 hour work weeks. One of my best friends is an orthopedic surgeon and these days it seems most of our conversations are about what we can do other than medicine, even though we both love the job and always dreamed about it.

I work in anesthesia and critical care, which is a really exciting and adrenaline-filled specialty and the job can be very rewarding. However, it is still a job. You have to be on site a lot of hours, study and do research on your "free time". Our schedule is finished 4-5 months before it starts, and if something fun comes up? Too bad. You have low flexibility and low control. And the pay is'nt really that high if you consider the amount of hours you work, especially if you pay as high taxes as we do in Sweden (pay yourself last). You also have a limit on how much you can earn by just being a doctor seeing patients (though this varies between countries and specialties). There is nowhere near a fastlane or even a guaranteed financial security in being a doctor.

Also much of the control over the hospitals and even how/what medical treatment is/should be provided is moving from doctors to administrators/politicians, who have no medical education at all. So the actual control you have over your work is decreasing, which is very frustrating - since you are still the one with the responsibility for the patient if something goes wrong. As I said before, I'm working in another country and things might be different in the US.

If you have any questions that I might be able to answer or help with, just ask here or send me a message and I'll do my best to answer.

I wish you the best of luck!

Funny as it is, after just getting done shadowing a urologist, I saw most of the problems that you brought up.

This particular doctor absolutely hated the administration. How he described it, the administration makes his life absolute hell. Throughout the days I shadowed him, problems with how the hospital ran was brought up 5-10x.

For example, they don't care about you, they don't update systems, they don't make wiggle room for you, nothing.

He will be moving to a completely different state for the sole purpose of the administration and to make more money. It's surprising how much financial security was an issue: he just didn't have enough patients to pay for his life.

And they say being a doctor is one of the "best" jobs...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...