The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introducing My Business Idea: International Snack E-Commerce.

Idea threads

simpo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 6, 2017
South Korea
Hi guys, I'm an startup board member from S.Korea. One of my teammates brought up an idea of international snack Ecommerce.
It's like, an Ecommerce in where you can only sell and buy international snacks.
I would be grateful if you give me some opinion how do you think about this idea, do you like this idea? do you think you gonna try this as a customer? or do you think it's a shitty idea? Anything will be helpful no matter it's negative or positive. Also, if there's any similar web service, please let me know in any country.
To give my thought first, I think it would work. But I gotta do market research first and do some MVP experiments.
I figured other people who have traveled foreign countries or studied abroad, have good memories about the countries also. Local snack can be a good throwback for them. Also I've seen many people who like to try foreign snacks and food. That's why we came up with this idea.
Feel free to give me feedback about my idea please :)
Thanks in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bilkar1985

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Sep 4, 2018
Greece
Good luck with that! As someone who has been working close to the food industry, how can you assure the quality of the food and that it will be delivered at the highest quality possible to the buyer? Also, there are allergies and other stuff that you have to take into consideration. Just my 2 cents

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm always looking for my Argentinian snacks, Amazon sells some, and a couple businesses in Chicago have some too. The price though makes it a luxury... >_> I'm better off pigging out on Tiramisu Cake.

That said if you could make it a bit more affordable you would have my $$. Give me a subscription box with Argentinian snacks. Lol

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I can't remember the name of the company off the top of my head (I'm sure a quick google search would find it) but I know there's a couple companies that do subscription boxes for snacks . Some do rotating places so you get a "taste of the world".

All to say, the idea is definitely viable. I'd look around and see what others are doing. Figure out what would make you guys unique/different/better than what already exists.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
I really like the idea in theory and think it has potential. I would suggest you start out by focusing on one country that has famous snacks/food stuff. Then, try to find out, which country has the most tourists visiting there (thats the audience you can market to).

Best

simpo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 6, 2017
South Korea
Good luck with that! As someone who has been working close to the food industry, how can you assure the quality of the food and that it will be delivered at the highest quality possible to the buyer? Also, there are allergies and other stuff that you have to take into consideration. Just my 2 cents

Hi bilkar1985
That's actually good points. Appreciate your advice :) I did some research concerning your advice and found that something like chocolate could melt down in summer or break into pieces. So I gotta make a list of snacks which is not fragile. Also allergies and ingredient issues are demanding. It seems I need to have sellers to translate the product description. Thanks again for your tips.

simpo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 6, 2017
South Korea
I'm always looking for my Argentinian snacks, Amazon sells some, and a couple businesses in Chicago have some too. The price though makes it a luxury... >_> I'm better off pigging out on Tiramisu Cake.

That said if you could make it a bit more affordable you would have my $$. Give me a subscription box with Argentinian snacks. Lol

Yeah you're right. International snacks are bound to be quite expensive given its long journey from its original place to your home and I'm trying my best to figuring out how can I reduce logistics costs. Hopefully I can get you Argentinian snack subscription soon haha.

simpo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 6, 2017
South Korea
I really like the idea in theory and think it has potential. I would suggest you start out by focusing on one country that has famous snacks/food stuff. Then, try to find out, which country has the most tourists visiting there (thats the audience you can market to).

Best
Good point! Starting off from one country. I'm thinking to sell S.Korea snacks firstly.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Snack for expats? Might be some demand there.

Get familiar with Lean startup tactics (google it up and read).

Matt_2190

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 19, 2017
Southern Europe
Hi Simpo, not bad the idea of the expats, but I'll give you another feedback.

There is a lot of people who like to taste ethnic food, even in the form of snacks.

In Europe in these years a lot of e-commerce stores started to sell American snacks (PopTarts, Fluff, etc.) or Japanese (Mochi and other weird Japanese snacks). This type of snack in many European countries wasn't sold (or were sold in very little-known shops). Selling them through e-commerce, many have gained a prominent position in the market, achieving great success (yes, I buy these ethnic snacks too sometimes!).

Obviously for this type of sale you have to sell particular types of snacks. I don't know anyone that would like tasting Vietnamese or Korean snacks: maybe they are good, but so little known that they have no appeal for many and a lot of people don't search for them.

But a lot of people want to taste the snacks seen in American movies or Japanese mangas. And anyway, you could sell snacks from other parts of the world: a person who came in your e-commerce to buy Japanese mochi might also want to try other "strange" things from other countries.

You can sell to expats too. But cross-sell them to fans of ethnic snacks can be a good choice too.

Of course, it's just an idea. I hope it will be helpful. ;)

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
I would love to try snacks from other countries just to check how they taste. But how you are going to make sure quality is top notch , how will you deal with custom department of different countries, what about people allergic to different kind of foods , what if someone fell ill due to snacks you provided (there may be litigation in respective countries ). Kindly look into this matter. One small suggestion: why do e-comm for just snacks only ? Can you increase scope of your business and include non-food items in your business. Like I would love to buy Original Russian fur hats , Wine from France, Chines paintings, Fashion products from South Korea etc. (Currently I would have to go to multiple websites to find these, why not create one stop shop for such products )

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
I can't remember the name of the company off the top of my head (I'm sure a quick google search would find it) but I know there's a couple companies that do subscription boxes for snacks . Some do rotating places so you get a "taste of the world".

All to say, the idea is definitely viable. I'd look around and see what others are doing. Figure out what would make you guys unique/different/better than what already exists.

I believe the company you are referring to is munchpak.com or @munchpak on Instagram. I've seen other people post about it and they sell international snacks on a subscription basis... same idea as the original post.

I'm sure @simpo can get some ideas from their profile and website.

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
Hi guys, I'm an startup board member from S.Korea. One of my teammates brought up an idea of international snack Ecommerce.
It's like, an Ecommerce in where you can only sell and buy international snacks.
I would be grateful if you give me some opinion how do you think about this idea, do you like this idea? do you think you gonna try this as a customer? or do you think it's a shitty idea? Anything will be helpful no matter it's negative or positive. Also, if there's any similar web service, please let me know in any country.
To give my thought first, I think it would work. But I gotta do market research first and do some MVP experiments.
I figured other people who have traveled foreign countries or studied abroad, have good memories about the countries also. Local snack can be a good throwback for them. Also I've seen many people who like to try foreign snacks and food. That's why we came up with this idea.
Feel free to give me feedback about my idea please :)
Thanks in advance

I frequent Japan very often and are very fond of their snacks. Japanese snacks offer an incredible amount of variety and the vast majority of them I've had, it has never disappointed. It was then, I discovered a website www.Japancrate.com just like what you described that you may purchase a subscription, and they'll ship you a variety of snack packs once a month. Not only do they offer snacks, but a variety of Japanese toys, skin-care products, ramen, etc. It works awesome as a gift because their packs contain so many varieties, and each month it changes.

Minuz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 19, 2019

Which ones you like? Im from Argentina lol

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
When my wife goes to other countries she always brings everyone back a gift, she gets me any sweets with chocolate & raspberry. Hong Kong had one of the best ever!

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Guys idk if it was you but I got an ad served for this exact same thing a few days ago. Sorry I didn’t remember the name. Someone is doing it.

meanjournalist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 10, 2019
Edit: I should have read the thread, others have beat me to the punch with the idea.. but again do it better:

You gave me a great idea, but I will share it here instead since I would have never thought of it without this post.

You know those monthly sampler packs you can sign up for various things like toys, makeup, clothes, pet toys, etc?

Do it with candies or snacks from all over the world (or user defined interests like Japan etc).

Sure, I bet someone is already doing it.. but DO IT BETTER than they can.

A lot of hard work at first, but could pay off in the future. The Japanese candy/snacks would be very trendy with the 18-24 demographic. Make it viral using social media like Youtube. "Mystery Box Openings" etc.

You can apply it to all the other countries, items, and snacks you think would be popular.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.