The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Intro, and advice needed

Gixxer

PARKED
Jan 26, 2019
Hi everyone,
I’ve been following this forum for a while, and now it’s time to introduce myself.
I’m Gixxer, 31, currently living in Germany (which is not my home country), and I am about to start my entrepreneurial journey.

For the past 8 years I have been working for some companies leaders in their field, slowlane but “climbing the ladder” relatively quickly. I now find myself in a senior managerial position that pays well (€80k+, which is quite high for the city I live in), but comes with a lot of stress. I come home after work often late and mentally drained, unable to work effectively on anything else.

Now, I have some decent savings (about €90k) and a small rental property in my home country, that I bought 4 years ago.
Because of this I am thinking to free up that apartment from tenants, and move back there to cut back on my living expenses (which will hardly exceed 1k then).

However, I’m struggling to decide between two options:
  1. quit my job and focus entirely on my business for at least 12 months
  2. ask my employer for a relocation, and working part time Monday to Wednesday. Some of my stakeholders are based in the head office located in the city I aim to move back, therefore getting to work from there should not be a major issue. More difficult would be getting a yes to the part-time contract. Overall I feel I have about 25% chances to make this happen, if I ask
Option 1) would give me a lot more time and focus on myself and the business. As you can guess this idea excites me, but also scares me a bit
Option 2) would be the safest but I would only have 2 days/week, and still be stressed out from my slowlane job. I find it hard to accept that I would have to “suck it up” for longer.

Also note that for important family/personal reasons, I won’t be able to dedicate much time to my business during weekends.

What would you do in my position?
If it helps, I want to start with e-commerce and lead generation for service business. I could then do some occasional website building, if the first two don't take off.
I don’t have all the skills yet but I am sure I can learn quickly or outsource what I need. Then, succeeding is another story, but I’ll do my best to get there.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

lowtek

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome Gixxer.

Couple thoughts here:

Since you're tired at night anyway, can you go to bed and get up early to work on your business before your job?

Why not go with option 2 and if the employer refuses, then make it clear you are prepared to walk away from the job if they don't negotiate something with you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom