The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Insider Call] How to Kick a$$ with Facebook Marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
@TedM Agree, my only concert is not converting that well. 16-28 range isn't looking that good for now, will let it run until 3-4 times the target CPA. I just added a new ad and removed the product interest. Let's see how it goes.

I need to get some new images to test, my CTR is really bad, below 2%

@Phones Currently I'm targeting some specific interests within the group 20-35 (about 2 mil potential audience). Currently I'm not happy with anything less than 4% CTR on the newsfeed to start with and I'll let it roll through around 3.5% after it starts burning out and frequency starts going up. I obviously have a little bit older range than you and am in the US so that may make a difference. But like JasonR says just keep testing and see what happens. I just wanted to give you a little encouragement that it is possible to get a little higher CTR in that demo. Most of my ads I can get 2+, but I junk anything that doesn't meet that range I mentioned currently.

My market isn't nearly as big as JasonR's either. I've done well so far with fairly simple ads where the focus is very specifically on the product I have and some brighter colored backgrounds (warm colors work better like yellow and orange for me, but also had a green one perform well). Anyway just my two bits, keep after it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Steve A

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Apr 29, 2014
Hey y'all,

Thought I'd just chime in on the topic of getting likes on your page when you're just starting out.

I haven't run a single "page like" ad, but my page is on over 11k likes, simply by putting a "like box" on my thank you page after the prospect opt's in.

My lead magnet is a video, so my thankyou page basically says: You're confirmed, now step 1, Click the LIKE button, (then underneath the like box on the page, it says) step 2, click play.

Then, for extra points, under the video, I have a link that says "hey, did you like this video? then click here to share it with your FB friends!" Using the share box generator on FB, it shares the optin page.

I haven't yet worked out if sharing the optin page in this manner causes the share count to go up on my original ad/post, or if the share count is only from people who shared the ad straight out of their news feed, but my ads/posts end up with hundreds of shares, so I'm willing to wager that the share link under the video is partly responsible.

Anyway, my advice would be not to bother buying likes, you'll get them fast enough for free by putting the like box on your thank you page.

EDIT: Just re-read the thread and realised, depending on what your landing/thankyou page looks like, this might not work if you're sending them straight to a CPA offer for example. But I'll leave this post here in case its still useful :)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I haven't run a single "page like" ad, but my page is on over 11k likes, simply by putting a "like box" on my thank you page after the prospect opt's in.

Not a bad idea.

A better idea is to upsell the customer IMMEDIATELY (one click, preferably) after the initial sale. :)

Steve A

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Apr 29, 2014
Not a bad idea.

A better idea is to upsell the customer IMMEDIATELY (one click, preferably) after the initial sale. :)

Ah yeah, good point... Depends on what you're doing I suppose. That works great if you're ad goes straight to a sales offer.

My own process is based on giving away a free lead magnet to get people on my list, then sell to them further down the funnel... (unless they take my OTO after opting in for the free stuff)

Here's how I personally use FB to generate leads, if it helps anyone :) :
  • FB Ad takes person to opt-in page for a free offer.
  • Person opts in and sees a "confirm your email" message on thank you page.
  • Person clicks confirm link in email and sees a one-time-offer (paid) with a message that says "I just sent you the first free video, but before you go watch it, here's a welcome discount on a product..." (This OTO with a 1-click upsell afterwards makes back about half my ad spend on average)
  • Whether they take the OTO or not, they can go to their email for the link to the free video and then on the watch page, that's where I finally have my facebook like box, lol
  • If they didn't confirm their opt-in to receive the first free video by email, I set it up so that they remain single opt-in and send them the video a few hours later (office autopilot has an awesome "optional double-opt-in" feature... (doubles are sent from better servers apparently)).

Probably veered a little bit off topic here, but it's kinda related for anyone reading this who is using FB to list build rather than for CPA offers or making direct sales :)

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
So hard to help you when I don't anything about your product or market. I usually create Dark Posts (Newsfeed ads that don't appear on my page) through the Ad manager or power editor. I don't boost any regular posts.
@Phones - this is a learning process. I've made great ROI at under 2% CTR, but I was using Optimized CPM. Your demo is very young - they spend less online and click even less than older demos.
Keep it mind, I like to play in big, BIG markets that appeals to a huge audience. I don't like niche markets all that much.

I'm getting much better CTR and conversion values for 28-34 female with interest on my product category and from Portugal. Since it was too narrow, only 40k, I'm now targeting all 28-34 female with optimized CPM.

I'm also on a BIG BIG market. But right now I'm just driving the traffic to a product page, website conversion is around 1.4-1.5% , I'm in the process of creating a simple funnel to grab some data before the cold sell.

I can't think of a tripwire, my idea is to create a helper tool/form that will select the best models/designs for each person, collect their e-mails there and direct them to a page where they can see the best models for them.
I also don't think a tripwire offer would work that well with portuguese demo, almost no one uses credit cards so the paying process is not so automated, most people have to go to an ATM machine to make a payment.

Overall CPA is around 7-9€ which is within my range, but I need broader targeting because the CPA starts to jump as soon as frequency hits 1.2-1.3 .

I also just filled for a decent CreditCard, Facebook hits me everyday with the daily ad spend and I take 3-4 days before I see the sale money.

Last edited:

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
Jason here's a question I can't seem to find addressed anywhere and I don't yet have enough data to really test it out myself.

Are you able to recycle successful creatives after you've rotated through new creatives x number of times?

Ad burnout sucks and I find probably my toughest job is getting successful images up. For every 20 or so I make maybe 1 will be where I want it to be performance wise. Have you ever been able to take an ad image that was successful, meeting all your criteria CTR, CPA, etc., remove it for 3, 4, 10, x rotations (or duration of time) and then re-insert it with the same or similar level of performance?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Ad burnout sucks and I find probably my toughest job is getting successful images up. For every 20 or so I make maybe 1 will be where I want it to be performance wise. Have you ever been able to take an ad image that was successful, meeting all your criteria CTR, CPA, etc., remove it for 3, 4, 10, x rotations (or duration of time) and then re-insert it with the same or similar level of performance?

Sometimes. Sometimes I'll bring a creative that worked to a different audience (or traffic source).

You need to keep making creatives, because they do die. They die especially fast on Facebook. But, if you're targeting millions of people, a creative can last a long time (it's all relative to how much you're spending per day, and the size of the audience).

So, has this thread helped anyone start kicking a$$ yet, or what?

There are millions of sales being made per day on Facebook. Go get your share.

BTW - got my first affiliate a few days ago. I helped him set up his first ad. Holy crap, he's kickin' a$$!

7wA4Jn0.png

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
This thread kicks a$$. Will be implementing a lot in the next few months when I release a completely different product from my normal business.

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
@AllenCrawley or @JasonR

I've read this entire thread and cannot find a working link to the call (both dropboxes are saying moved or deleted). Would someone please upload the call, it seems like a great asset to the INSIDERS forum. Thank you...

Natural

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Nov 7, 2013
I'm totally new to fb ads, but I feel I learned a lot just from reading the thread.. I couldn't listen to the call.. It seems that the link doesn't work anymore. Would greatly appreciate if someone could send me a PM with a working link or something?

If not that's okay too. Thanks a lot for the thread Jason!!

Natural

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Nov 7, 2013
I'll try to remember to set up a permanent working link and link it in the main thread.

Do you mean your gold thread, or?

Think I should go to bed. It's 04:00 am here.. Reading too much but couldn't stop :)

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
what platform do you use for your funnel? Any recommendations

Are you referring to shopping cart or?

Technically for a funnel, it could be done with regular html pages stringed together by a mailing list like MailCheat(Chimp)

Jimbo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Sep 1, 2013
Are you referring to shopping cart or?

Technically for a funnel, it could be done with regular html pages stringed together by a mailing list like MailCheat(Chimp)

Yeah I guess so. One that allows one click up-sells, is easily customisable and isn't to bloated.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I found out today that MindValley.com (big players in the personal development space) with amazing marketing use UltraCart as their platform

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Downloading the call now, about to use FB to test my app idea and get people to sign up for an email list.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

Yes, you could, but you'll have massive drop off with email versus an online funnel with one click upsells .

We are using Limelight CRM ($1k/month, $3500 set up fee).

I would recommend Ultra Cart.

Limelight CRM is overkill for most people's needs here.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Hey thanks for making this available after the fact. I would have liked to have attended, but I was not an INSIDERS until this month.

THANKS A MILLION!

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
If you're reading this and serious about learning traffic generation using FB (or any other network) definitely check out Traffic Blackbook 2.0.

@JasonR recommended it to me a few days ago, and I just spent the week going through the whole thing and I feel like I have a MUCH better footing than I did just a few days ago.

Now on to buying some ads, failing THE RIGHT WAY and making money. choo choo.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
If you're reading this and serious about learning traffic generation using FB (or any other network) definitely check out Traffic Blackbook 2.0.
THANK YOU

I have been asking about this. Very interested and planning on putting the money I am making into this - just wanted to confirm it was solid.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea if the course is the same as the udemy course? I emailed the guy that runs both asking if there was any difference, and never heard back.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
THANK YOU

I have been asking about this. Very interested and planning on putting the money I am making into this - just wanted to confirm it was solid.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea if the course is the same as the udemy course? I emailed the guy that runs both asking if there was any difference, and never heard back.

Should be the same, but I would buy direct.

I wouldn't say TBB2.0 is a "golden bullet" that will make you money, but it definitely lets you know many options. It showed me channels and methods I hadn't considered before, or thought didn't apply to my business.

For example, I shied away from the Google Display Network, but think it can be a viable channel for me. I think Facebook, and even email buys for solo ads (something I didn't even know EXISTED) could also work for me.

It also gave me a good framework "starting point" and I feel like I can experiment with that and expand. It also sets expectations on "Good" CTRs and other conversion metrics at different points of the funnel so that I have some rules of thumb I can use to understand where I can have the most impact

For example, I might not try to get above .2% CTR on a GDN ad now, or more than 2.5% on my offer conversions if another part of my funnel is bottlenecked...or if my campaign is profitable and scalable.

The interfaces for nearly all of the tools they recommend have changed dramatically. Alexa, for example, no longer offers a lot of the free tools it used to. The Facebook Editor and reports have some notable differences. But the bulk of the info is on how you should approach paid online advertising, and is very valuable.

In other words, it will help a lot, but it will also come down to action and ads. I anticipate I am going to "lose" a sizable amount of money before getting a good converting campaign...but now I feel those "losses" are more of an investment, as I understand the kind of data I am buying.

Personally my next step is to make a decision on the channel I want to pursue (most likely Facebook) and making the conscious decision that I am going to push my handstand product through these channels...assuming the potential FB reach is in the millions.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Dang - thank you so much for this. I really appreciate the input.

There is just so much crap out there it is hard to know what is worth looking at and what isn't.

The last thing I want to do is waste time on crap products.

Thanks again!

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Dang - thank you so much for this. I really appreciate the input.

There is just so much crap out there it is hard to know what is worth looking at and what isn't.

The last thing I want to do is waste time on crap products.

Thanks again!
Thanks for the rep!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Just read through the whole thread. Thanks for taking the time to do the call and answer all these questions. I'll be starting with Facebook ads soon and will definitely be implementing things you suggested.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.