The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Importing From India - Lots of questions I have

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
So, I'm not afraid to admit when I am a noob and ask for help.

I've bought a few things off Aliexpress and thought this would be easy. However, I am seeing that Alibaba and direct contact with manuf. is a bit different.

I reached out directly to a few companies in India about a certain product and it took them a while to get back to me, but they sent me this today and I am not sure what to make of it.

I'd rather look stupid on the forum, then to the person I am buying from ( so they don't rip me off potentially ) so I am going to post this here and also browse the forum too to see what I can learn.

Dear Mr Jason -----

Regret the delay in replying to your below mail. P

Please note the below indicative quotes:

Quotes in USD for 1000 size `1` Pens

Shipment Quantity

FOB
1 Box = 6.5

Air Freight
1 Box = 2.9

CFR
1 Box = 9.4

Please note that each box contains 100,000 size `1` Pens.

We hope that you will find the above as per your expectation. Please revert and oblige.

Regards

I changed some of the info above, but my main questions are:

• There is no way possible that's $2.90 to Air Freight to my local airport a box of 100,000 pens. I'm thinking that's the price for 1000, so the Air Freight would be $290, right?
  • Are these 3 options I have for shipping above? Meaning I pick 1 ( like Air Freight ) and just pay that and get it shipped? Or am I paying all 3 combined ( 6.5 + 2.9 + 9.4 ) to get my product here?
  • If I do get it Air Freighted to my local airport, then what? Do I simply drive to the airport and get it, or do I need to get in contact with DHL/UPS/Fedex to deliver it from the airport to my business?
I know ultimately I will need to confirm and ask questions to the manuf., but I just wanted a heads up and clarification before doing so.

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
@Walter Hay

Walter's book can literally save you thousands on Importing. Anyways, I tagged him here because I'm sure he has all the answers you're looking for.

With regards to air freight, you can't just go to the airport and pick it up. You need to clear customs yourself and there may be additional charges.

Good luck.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
So, I'm not afraid to admit when I am a noob and ask for help.

I've bought a few things off Aliexpress and thought this would be easy. However, I am seeing that Alibaba and direct contact with manuf. is a bit different.

I reached out directly to a few companies in India about a certain product and it took them a while to get back to me, but they sent me this today and I am not sure what to make of it.

I'd rather look stupid on the forum, then to the person I am buying from ( so they don't rip me off potentially ) so I am going to post this here and also browse the forum too to see what I can learn.

Dear Mr Jason -----

Regret the delay in replying to your below mail. P

Please note the below indicative quotes:

Quotes in USD for 1000 size `1` Pens

Shipment Quantity

FOB
1 Box = 6.5

Air Freight
1 Box = 2.9

CFR
1 Box = 9.4

Please note that each box contains 100,000 size `1` Pens.

We hope that you will find the above as per your expectation. Please revert and oblige.

Regards

I changed some of the info above, but my main questions are:

• There is no way possible that's $2.90 to Air Freight to my local airport a box of 100,000 pens. I'm thinking that's the price for 1000, so the Air Freight would be $290, right?
  • Are these 3 options I have for shipping above? Meaning I pick 1 ( like Air Freight ) and just pay that and get it shipped? Or am I paying all 3 combined ( 6.5 + 2.9 + 9.4 ) to get my product here?
  • If I do get it Air Freighted to my local airport, then what? Do I simply drive to the airport and get it, or do I need to get in contact with DHL/UPS/Fedex to deliver it from the airport to my business?
I know ultimately I will need to confirm and ask questions to the manuf., but I just wanted a heads up and clarification before doing so.

Thanks ahead of time for any input.
Hi @eliquid,

They have quoted you for FOB, which means Free On Board. That is loaded on a carrier. For international freight, a carrier might be a ship or an aircraft. They have also quoted you for CFR which means Cost and Freight charge to a nominated destination. That nominated destination is usually a sea port or an airport.

Re your specific questions:
  • You are right. The air freight quote is for 1,000 pcs, not 100,000 pcs, so the total freight is $290.
  • If you agree to FOB it means you have to arrange shipping from the nominated FOB point in India. If you agree to CFR, all cost will be paid by the supplier as far as your nominated airport or sea port. The CFR amount includes cost of the product and the freight to your nominated destination airport or sea port.
  • DON'T just have any shipment sent to your sea port or airport. The added costs once the goods arrive in your country can be substantial. As MoneyDoc said "you can't just go to the airport and pick it up. You need to clear customs yourself and there may be additional charges." For the benefit of all our readers I will add that the additional charges at your port if the goods travel by sea can sometimes be more than the freight cost.
If the weight is not too great and the dimensions are not huge, your supplier can arrange for pre-paid air courier door to door delivery. Indian suppliers are more prone to gouging you on freight costs than even suppliers in China, so you should also get a quote from DHL, UPS, or Fedex locally. If you arrange the courier yourself, they will pick it up from your supplier, who must have the required documentation ready.

Don't accept schedule rates, they are for people who only ship personal items once in a lifetime. They should give you a substantial discount off those standard rates, but be sure to get your quote in writing. It should include all costs and that includes Customs clearance work. You still pay the duty to the courier, but they do the paperwork and pay it to Customs authorities on your behalf first.

Warning. The amount of $2.90 for air freight of 1,000 pens is astonishing. It would more likely be $45 to $90. You must get the supplier to clarify that. Ask what is the total door to door air courier charge for 100,000 pcs. Also ask which carrier do they use.

Please post again here or on my AMA if you need more help.

Regards,
Walter

Last edited by a moderator:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
This is very very helpful Walter.

I am going to purchase your ebook this Friday and take the weekend to read it over.

I have also emailed back the manuf. and asked them all the above.

Thank you for your help.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

caezlar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Apr 11, 2014
HK,China
if the amount of $2.90 for air freight of 1,000 pens, they should have a warehouse in US. normally 5kg to US charges around $50 by DHL, from China.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.