The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Im quitting this smoking habit.

Sketchh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 21, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Well im 17 years old about to be 18 September 3rd. After reading the fastlane and reading one of mjs threads. Ive decided im going to stop smoking. I havent really had a motive to. But taking action is just changing my lifestyle so i just made a fire and threw my last cigs in. I know it will be hard but ill find some sort of motive to end this bad habit. I dont want to touch another cigarette and honestly i did quit for a day a few weeks ago and i felt a hell of alot better. So if thats a day without a cigarette im sure with a month or even a week of not smoking im going to feel better then i did. Also been lacking going to the gym lately but im turning that around to so why not. I dont want cigarettes to be apart of my life anymore. I need to change and that starts with cutting my lifes killer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
This will be one of the best, and toughest, undertakings of your life. It's ridiculous how hard quitting smoking can be. I smoked for 20 years or more. I "quit" about eight times, usually lasting from a few weeks to a few months. I finally had enough and started using the patch. That worked for me.

There are small hair-like cells in your trachea called cilia. Their job is to catch impurities you breathe in and transfer it back up to your head so you can cough it out. They are very delicate little structures, and smoking burns them away in an instant. It can take a year to grow them all back. Keep that in mind.

Good luck!

D

Deleted11391

I have gave up smoking for almost 6 years now...

Tried will power....Didnt work
Tried hypnotism....nope
Tried avoidance...nope

None of these worked

Only thing that worked for me was this:

Allen Carr’s Easyway To Stop smoking

I don't know what it was....but I swear to god I never smoked a cigarette after reading this book....

For me it was unreal.

Brian

Guest682

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 29, 2012
I recently quit I think its been about 2 months now, I tried the e-cigs then I tried the patch, however what really helped was just identifying what in my life truly stresses me out, I recently had to close off a few relationships but I now feel more at peace. Smoking for me was such a crutch whenever my anxiety raised from stressful situations or people, but i simply identified and eliminated them from my life and things are simply better.

Its funny how when you know you want to quit and that you smoke you feel guilty. The whole thing is a vicious circle. I think its also a display of personal weakness, if you read body language or study social situations you notice when something is bothering someone they immediately want to smoke. Displaying that I was mentally weak was also a factor for me to quit smoking.

Every has their own reasons for being addicted to cigarettes and finding it hard to quit but identify that what is causing your cravings, that feeling you get before you want to smoke, ask yourself "Why am I feeling this way?", if its something you can change then do it. I wish anyone the best of luck who is trying to quit, when you do quit I promise you will instantly feel better! You will breath easier, your sense of smell will return, food will taste better and you will be more secure emotionally.

another

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 10, 2012
Belgium
It's a pretty good thing that you took this decision while still very young. I stopped two months ago (with a few ...ah... weaknesses in the meantime), and it's incredibly hard after more than 10 years smoking. Also a very interesting way to get used to take action. Well done !

And now is the hardest part : DO NOT LIGHT ANOTHER ONE.

No, not even this last one ;-)

Sketchh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 21, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Yay 3.5 Days in without a cigarette. Still feeling like crap but im loving how foods tasting better lately. Just keeping yall posted

psaco131

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 16, 2012
Peru
Smoker's tend to associate everything they do with smoking cigarettes. What if every time a craving occurred, you grabbed a pencil, flashlight or even a spoon. Disassociate the thought that every time you have a problem, every time you finish eating or whatever it is, you don't need a cig.

Ask yourself "Does this cig provide value to me after I smoke it?" Obviously not.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Smoker's tend to associate everything they do with smoking cigarettes. What if every time a craving occurred, you grabbed a pencil, flashlight or even a spoon. Disassociate the thought that every time you have a problem, every time you finish eating or whatever it is, you don't need a cig.

Good advise. The nicotine (physical) withdrawal usual ceases within a week (source). After that it is all mental.

I quit over 10 yrs ago. It was hard but smoking was harder. It was a lot of working finding a place to smoke for me. Difficult to smoke at work, couldn't smoke while commuting, couldn't smoke in my apartment.

When you get the urge, post in this thread!

joschi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 12, 2012
Berlin
You couldn’t be more right surfceo!
Yesterday I talked about that with my girlfriend (Who smokes to and didn`t want to quit :( )

She ask`s me wye I want to quit now… because she wants to quit “sometime in the future” ..

I explained to her, that there was a time where I used smoking to compensate my mental weakness, to just mask my real me!

If you read my introduction in the Introductions & Networking section of this forum you eventually get an idea of what I mean. It was possible for me to eliminate the things witch get me into smoking. Now it’s time to quit smoking. And so I will :).

Joschi (day 2 without a cigarette)

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Our company has a yearly strategic planning meeting attended by top management, managing directors of some sister companies, and board members of our owner. Our company president, one of the board members, and I were discussing over breakfast how difficult it is to quit smoking. My president said "Quitting smoking is almost as hard as quitting heroin", to which I replied "Nah, that's easy - I kicked heroin on my third try!". He nearly blew out his mouthful of scrambled eggs.

Sometimes tact isn't my strong suit.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I quit smoking a couple months ago. Back to working out again hardcore. I've never felt better in my entire life. AND my head is MUCH clearer, It's almost as though my mind improved some how. My thoughts and work ethic have changed dramatically.

Oh and PS - I quit with the help of Nicoderm patches.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I smoked for years and years. I quit jan 21 1997. then I started smoking on dec 6th 2006. just shy of 10 yrs quit. I smoked untill I quit again 1/21/09 been smoke free ever since. I wont have to quit a 3rd time :p

I tried quitting a few times before and I was a miserable bitch to put it mildly... first time I quit it was with zyban (wellbutrin) and then second time was with chantix.

I cannot say enough about these medicines. I would still be smoking 2+ packs a day of marlboro reds without it :D

Sketchh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 21, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
This will be one of the best, and toughest, undertakings of your life. It's ridiculous how hard quitting smoking can be. I smoked for 20 years or more. I "quit" about eight times, usually lasting from a few weeks to a few months. I finally had enough and started using the patch. That worked for me.

There are small hair-like cells in your trachea called cilia. Their job is to catch impurities you breathe in and transfer it back up to your head so you can cough it out. They are very delicate little structures, and smoking burns them away in an instant. It can take a year to grow them all back. Keep that in mind.

Good luck!

Ill get through it. Just have to think past it. The first few weeks will be hard im sure but im glad im quitting early instead of 20 years in yeeessh. Longer the harder it is i heard

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Props to you for quitting at your age. You still have a long, long life ahead of you.

I've never had to quit an addiction, but I've heard chewing gum when you want to smoke can help. Also, I don't know if you have any specific habits that lead to you wanting to smoke (for example, you smoke every day after dinner) but if you change the 'trigger', that may help as well. You could look into it.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Is there a quit smoking app?

I would think so but if not . . . hmmmm someone could make one :)

Bobby B.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jun 28, 2012
Orange County, CA
I quit 4 years ago, after smoking for 15 years. Tried cold turkey, but that turned me into a crackhead begging for a hit. So, that didn't last long. What got me off it was the patches and lots of bubble gum. Chew those suckers furiously!

The toughest part is the first few weeks. Get through that and you'll be fine. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Sketchh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 21, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Keep at it - the first couple weeks are the hardest.

I know im craving so bad right now. It will go away i know it will. It just feels like there isnt any hope haha. Its like myself is trying to tell me that it isn't all that bad. I wont do it though.

Sketchh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 21, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI

Ask yourself "Does this cig provide value to me after I smoke it?" Obviously not.

Hey that's not a bad idea. I'm going to give it a try today and see how it works. I mean Disassociating the thought of wanting a cigarette like you said is where i need to change my focus upon a urge. So starting now I'm making a routine to do spin my bracelet 2 times to the right when get that feeling to smoke, something that i can repeat each time.

Good advise. The nicotine (physical) withdrawal usual ceases within a week (source). After that it is all mental.

I quit over 10 yrs ago. It was hard but smoking was harder. It was a lot of working finding a place to smoke for me. Difficult to smoke at work, couldn't smoke while commuting, couldn't smoke in my apartment.

When you get the urge, post in this thread!

Yeah I'm looking forward to being done with this phase but i feel its a necessary change for myself right now while beginning my fastlane lifestyle. Thanks for the support and i will definitely keep you guys posted.

MNentre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Dec 11, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Good luck man! It will be tough, but dont give in.

You'll suffer for a few months, but it will pay off for 60+ years! Thanks a pretty good investment in my book.

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Best of luck on your journey to quitting for good!

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
I am doing the same! I have smoked for 17 years and have never really tried to quit. However, I have come to the decision that I just don't want to do it anymore so last night I went out and had my last smoke. I am anxious to see the results of quitting such a TERRIBLE habit. One day at a time starting with Day 1.

Sketchh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 21, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I am doing the same! I have smoked for 17 years and have never really tried to quit. However, I have come to the decision that I just don't want to do it anymore so last night I went out and had my last smoke. I am anxious to see the results of quitting such a TERRIBLE habit. One day at a time starting with Day 1.

Yeah well i ended up going back. I have faith i will quite though. In time and i feel comfortable telling myself this now. It may not be the healthiest thing but I'm going to quit by 20. Its all about the journey and I'm seeing where this smoking habit is going to end.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
It took me a long time to realize this but life is all about two important factors

-Self control
-The decisions you make

If you have no self control, you will not make the right decisions. Look at a bum, then look at a guy driving a ferarri past him, lets say both came from same place and we sit and go ?? and i am confident at this point in my life to guarentee you those two factors are the reason they are in different situations.

You can do it, if you really want to control your future. Good luck.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Don't substitute it with another, equally harmful, product. Quit smoking for 3 weeks and dtarted chewing tobacco... What a mistake that was.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I quit 5 days ago (again). This time I really want to stay with it. I started intermittent fasting and working out (heavy lifting) at the same time. So far I feel great and am not even thinking about cigarettes. Instead I can't wait for my next workout.

So my tip for everybody wanting to quit smoking: start working out at the same time! Makes a hell of a difference, because after the first initial shit days you feel much better and have fun while training.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.