The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.

BizBrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 1, 2023

“Do I need to be liked? Absolutely not. I like to be liked. I enjoy being liked. I have to be liked. But it’s not like this compulsive need like my need to be praised.” - Michael Scott

I’m not sure how this will land with the crowds here, but I’m a huge Michael Scott fan. I adore his work.

Now that the important stuff is out of the way- let me introduce myself.

Background:

I am a 32 year old child, living in satans armpit, aka Arizona (aka aka California V2).

I recently self diagnosed myself with Adult ADHD, which helped clear up a lot of WTF moments for me. Thank you YouTube and Google.

Growing up I was a very introverted kid who kept a very small group of friends. Very small. Like one friend.

I excelled early on in grade school and was put into advanced and gifted classes. I won spelling bees and was often noticed for my outstanding academic achievements.

Junior High and High School I started to develop some early 90’s “too cool for school” angst, and started purposely removing myself through lack of participation. I didn’t have many kids that I wanted to be friends with and just didn’t feel like I belonged. Freshmen year of High School I told my parents I’d rather be home schooled, so they took me out of public school shortly after. I ended up graduating High School a full year early once I was able to study at my own pace and do things my way.

Never went to college- well, actually I did half of semester at community college then had to drop out because of money problems with living expenses and conflict with my full time job. So yeah…as I was saying, never went to college.

I was forced into blue collar construction work as a young adult and since college didn’t work out for me, I ended up just getting sucked in to learning a bunch of trades and being one of those guys that’s like never really mastered any one trade, but can tell you enough interesting facts to make you believe that I know what I’m talking about.

I started to notice over the years that the harder I worked, and the more a$$ I kissed, along with finding efficient ways to take on certain processes and tasks, the more work my peers would pile on me.

Once I finally stopped to look around and take stock, (right around the time I had my first kid), I realized I had been trying to climb the socio-economic ”career” ladder, but the ladder only had three rungs. Aka- I was going nowhere.

My skill sets were bland. The field of work I was in was low paying with a very low ceiling. The people I worked around were insufferable and stereotypical blue collar meat heads.

It was around this time that I hopped on google to start researching stuff like “how to make $100,000 a year with no degree”. Boy if I only knew how that would turn out! Two year rabbit hole of Thai Lopez-esque wannabe schmucks…

I have never had a career path, never wanted to be your typical “cog in the wheel” so to speak. Working for others is just not my style. Don’t get me wrong- I’m extremely good at work. I become very efficient with almost all jobs that I’ve had, I work very hard, I’m early, stay late, I do all the “stuff“.

It just irks me when I wake up and I think to myself “ah shit, do I really have to put my monkey suit on and play these stupid games to win stupid prizes today…” (insert dramatic eye roll here). Anyways, yeah I’m just your average worker bee who’s out there collecting a paycheck, trading time for peanu… I mean money.

When I was first introduced to MJs books, it was like I was reading my own inner monologue. It was crazy. Everything he said made perfect sense. I felt so justified knowing the way I had been feeling and thinking wasn’t just some chemical imbalance in my tiny little monkey brain!

Special Skills:
My special skills are as follows (in order of no importance)- Annoying my wife, annoying my kids, being overly sarcastic, people pleasing, annoying my wife, calling out sick from work, recognizing patterns, people watching, writing bad copy, operating hand tools, going to bed super early and waking up super early, skateboarding very poorly, talking about how cool I used to be, acting extremely professional and well mannered, high level communication, and not taking life too seriously.

*Editors Note- (This reads like the side effects on an anti depressant pill commercial. I’m sorry.)

Why Am I Here?

I was referred to this forum from a friend who’s been on here for quite some time. He actually turned me onto this place back in 2016-2017 when I would just lurk and scroll through Ice Cream Kids posts, thinking to myself “holy shit, these guys are next level“. However, as any lurker does, I would sit and daydream about alllll of the amazing things I could do with this wealth of information- and then take absolutely no action at all.

Yeah, you read that right. I’m your typical “wantreprenuer”. Mental masturbation is my drug of choice.

You‘re probably thinking, “cool dude, so you just came on here to rant and post about a bunch of nonsense?

Well, kinda… but I also just got laid off from my job. I have been searching for a new job, and every day I have to use LinkedIn and Indeed and submit all of those stupid little questionnaires that ask you the same questions over and over again then make you take ”assessment” tests, are starting to make me want to ram my face through a brick wall.

I figured I’d finally stop lurking (although to be honest I only lurked for about 3 months back in 2016-2017 and haven’t been back on since) and try to do something more meaningful with my life.

My ADHD makes it hard for me to really commit to things and take immediate action, but thats not going to stop me. I’m going to stop action faking and start actually doing stuff to move the needle.

Being unemployed right now has given me some time to reflect and kinda light a fire under my a$$ to get pointed in the right direction and get the wheels moving.

I will be poking around the forums do my deep searches, and asking the occasional questions to get myself set in the right direction.

*Disclaimer- Hopefully my ranty, cheeky vibes didn’t throw you too far off. I like to have fun, but I am a also hard workin, straight shootin MF’er who ain’t afraid to talk business. Love you all. Talk soon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
Congrats for taking action and making your first post. I used to suffer from lurking too, but things start to change when you start helping others too.

Good post btw.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Welcome. You write very well and you sound like a cool dude, but you'd do well not to refer to yourself as a child nor give power to your self-diagnosed ADHD.

Are you a person that has ADHD, or are you a person that is owned by ADHD? Judging by your post, it sounds like you identify more with the latter description and lean more toward an external locus of control (read up on that!)

Anyhow, what are you the most skilled/knowledgeable at? What was your role in your job?

If you had a gun pressed to your head or your family was starving, which of your skills would you use to make some money today?

You mentioned power tools and knowing a few trades. There's a lot you can do with that—we've got threads here from dudes cleaning windows and making $1000/day by themselves in their first week with minimal equipment.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You sound like you could start a Handyman business with great success. While not Fastlane per se, it could get you off the yoke of needing a job and an overbearing employer.

Thanks for the intro.

BizBrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 1, 2023
You sound like you could start a Handyman business with great success. While not Fastlane per se, it could get you off the yoke of needing a job and an overbearing employer.

Thanks for the intro.
Thanks for creating everything you do man. Honestly. Aside from this forum, I also watch your YouTube content. It’s, straight fire, as the kids say. You’re a real inspiration, and I appreciate all of the hard work and effort you put into your media outlets to help others see the path less trodden.

Funny side note, my father in law is a semi-wealthy, recently retired, stereotypical boomer. Like the “get off my lawn” type. Served in the air force back in 900 B.C. Worked for the same distribution company for 32 years up to retirement. Climbed the ladder, drank the koolaid, etc. Thinks Dave Ramsey is Jesus in disguise (actually tried to get my wife and I to sign up to his course).

Anyways, I mentioned your book years back and told him about some entrepreneurial ideas I had about the CENTS model.

He shook his head in disgust and tells me, “Listen man, guys like that guy don’t want you to succeed. They just tell you all this crap to get you to buy their book so they get richer!! It’s all a scam. Don’t get sucked into that crap man! The only way to get ahead in life is to work a decent job, save your money, and live within your means- and if that means making coffee at home and not eating out for three, four, or five years- THEN SO BE IT! That’s the only way! You gotta be smart about it!

That conversation was seared into my brain, forever. It was so cringe.

I love the guy, he means well, but he helped really define the pitfalls of trying to be a good boy (or girl) and living the slow lane life in your little safe bubble.

And ironically- he’s now facing that post retirement conundrum of wanting to spend all this money he saved on things that make him feel young again, but he’s had some health issues that limit how much fun he can really have. It’s sad. I can see it in his eyes. He’s unsettled and he knows he worked a good majority of his life to amass a small fortune, but now has no use for most of this money.

BizBrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 1, 2023
Welcome. You write very well and you sound like a cool dude, but you'd do well not to refer to yourself as a child nor give power to your self-diagnosed ADHD.

Are you a person that has ADHD, or are you a person that is owned by ADHD? Judging by your post, it sounds like you identify more with the latter description and lean more toward an external locus of control (read up on that!)

Anyhow, what are you the most skilled/knowledgeable at? What was your role in your job?

If you had a gun pressed to your head or your family was starving, which of your skills would you use to make some money today?

You mentioned power tools and knowing a few trades. There's a lot you can do with that—we've got threads here from dudes cleaning windows and making $1000/day by themselves in their first week with minimal equipment.
Oh the ADHD thing is more tongue and cheek than anything. I really do have it, but it is not a severe or debilitating issue.

As far as calling myself a child, well, I like to see myself a child! I like to maintain young energy. I like to have fun in life! Also not a self deprecating comment (although I can see others misjudging that).

As for the latter portion of your questions- the fun part of ADHD, is the brain often does not see skills or accomplishments as such, but instead things that we are good at often get washed over and written off. So it makes it very hard to look back and say “hey, I’m super good at X,Y,Z and could charge for that”. It’s more along the lines of, “I’ve done X ,Y, Z- but I don’t feel like I know enough about them to be an expert and charge someone money. I think I need more experience, more research,…” etc etc.

Luckily my wife is good at slapping me in the face and reminding me that I’m usually overthinking and asserting my very prominent imposter syndrome onto myself.

Can you link the threads with the window washing by chance? I’m not finding anything in the search. Sounds interesting and I know dang well I can pretty much do anything I set my mind to honestly (thank you hyper focus- also ADHD side effect).

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016

BizBrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 1, 2023

Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders