The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Im in university and I am scared

Vaios

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Mar 5, 2015
Quick background: I am currently 19 in my second year as a Computer Science undergraduate at a British university. I'm preparing for my midterms and I have 2 more years.This one and the next one.

If you take the time to read this I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

When I went to uni I did it for several reasons I believed were valid at the time: 1. I wanted to have skills so that I can work for others until I do something for myself(like a safety net). 2. Pressure from family-school growing up that I had to go to university. These are the ones I can think at the top of my head.At least these are the ones that keep me from dropping out.Especially number 2.

I do not like what I'm doing and I can barely pass my modules.Right now I should be studying for my upcoming exams. But I hate studying so much and my degree gets into way much detail that I don't care about. I enjoy about 20% of what I do.

To sum it up, I want your advice. My gut tells me to just go through with it and then invest all of my free time into learning about entrepreneurship and broadening my horizons on what I can do to make money. Then I can work on something productive while studying, or even while working in IT. But I don't know enough to trust myself to just drop out right now. I have never made money in my life, so I don't know what else to do at this point besides being a good student and hoping I can work for someone else after I get my degree.(which I cannot get if I am not completely focused and not stressed like I am right now)

Thank you for your time

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
Hi Vaios, we're in very similar boats. Except I'm not worried about where my boat is going :p

I believe that if you're unsure about dropping out of college then don't drop out. If you genuinely believe you can't even pass your modules then change courses. Make the best of where you are and what you have right now, there is a population of young wantrepreneurs and entrepreneurs that think that college is a total waste of time. If anything, college is a wonderland of opportunity for people like you and I.

Not only do you have a university that could potentially back your entrepreneurial endeavors but you also have access to a massive audience of 18-25 year olds. And that's only the tip of the ice-berg. My suggestion is that perhaps you could change your perspective of your situation finding the hidden benefits and then carry on from there.

I used to hate being in college when I was in 1st year but then I realized that there will never be an opportunity in my life like now while I'm in college where I have a lot of free time and the knowledge that what I dreamed of as a child is possible. Hopefully that's enough for you too.

Best of luck!

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I am in a similar boat as well. Why don't you change your major to business?

G

Guest34764

In 10 years will you have considered your time at Uni profitable?

Will you regret the decision to leave a few years down the road?

Is all this a waste of time for yourself?

Look at these questions from a 3rd person point of view, and analyze them and find the answers.Of course, you don't have to use these specific questions, you can make up your own, just make sure they're thought provoking and need a deep analysis.

It sounds cheezy but when important decisions show up I always look at them from a 3rd person point of view, the less emotion attached to the answer gives a more logical one.If you can answer questions like these assuming the body of a little cloud outside your own body and with it's own mind you can see things a bit clearer because all that pressure applied to you, and only applies to you and not the little cloud.

I'm really not sure if this post was helpful, I've never really talked about this mind stuff in any of my posts so making it sound clear will probably sound hard.

jfny

Oh it's coming. Just wait.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Apr 23, 2016
My guess is that if you quit now you're going to regret it later on. Just stick with it. You're almost done. You'll make a lot more money in a slow lane job with a degree than without. That is extra money you will have on the side to put towards a fastlane venture. Focus on learning entrepreneurship in the little free time you have. Eventually you'll come into more free time and when that happens, then you can focus on the topics you're more eager to learn. There's no reason you can't do both. Ever hear the saying "Don't come this far, to only come this far."?

I mean, that's just my two cents.
The choice is yours.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Sigh.....wait, why am I even sighing?
It's a good sign that you feel imprisoned and doubtful of the system. It means that you are still alive and kicking, with your sense of independence and spirit still unbroken.
I suppose that you should hold on to your studies until you have something going that would provide a stable flow of income. It seems too easy to drop out and go rogue, but if it were that easy, millions would be doing that!

Do what you can in your free time to learn how you can make Fastlane solutions. Pop by here now and then if you need everything.

I'm a student too. Instead of feeling downtrodden, I feel pretty pissed off:rage:
I would rather study to build a system that solve actual problems and put smiles on people's faces than to get a measely job that I could get fired from!:artist:

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
I can only speak for myself, but what your gut is telling you is exactly what I'd do. I also wouldn't switch my major to business for the sake of it. Being an entrepreneur isn't fun all the time either, and you have to study more working for yourself than you do in school. It's just more fun most of the time.

One of the biggest two downsides to university is the cost. It's really only worth going to university if you're studying to be a doctor/lawyer/engineer/etc, but there's also a fake market for education. Most good jobs these days require a degree. So you go to school to get a degree so you can make more money. This is fabricated demand that allows universities to charge more money (inflation of education has outpaced normal growth exponentially). I believe this is collusion at the highest levels of government and big players.

If you eliminate the requirement for all non doctor/lawyer/engineer jobs, less people would go to university. Seriously, people are requiring degrees for jobs that I could have done in high school. Door-to-door home security salesman? Some staff would be laid off. Some schools would close. Tuition would drop a lot for general education schools due to lack of demand, and remain the same for law/med/engineering.

The other downside is many graduates are dumber than they were when they started. They know new stuff, but they're further removed from reality. Majoring in computer science is an exception as you learn marketable skills that you can use as an engineer or an entrepreneur.

Like I said, this is what I would do: stay in school (as long as I wasn't paying for it with loans), network my a$$ off, build the largest network possible, get my CS degree, learn business/marketing in my spare time, graduate, use my business/marketing/computer skills/network to create something awesome. Light years ahead of 99% of people when you graduate.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
If you eliminate the requirement for all non doctor/lawyer/engineer jobs, less people would go to university. Seriously, people are requiring degrees for jobs that I could have done in high school. Door-to-door home security salesman? Some staff would be laid off. Some schools would close. Tuition would drop a lot for general education schools due to lack of demand, and remain the same for law/med/engineering.

The other downside is many graduates are dumber than they were when they started. They know new stuff, but they're further removed from reality. Majoring in computer science is an exception as you learn marketable skills that you can use as an engineer or an entrepreneur.

Preview

I was reading a thread somewhere here on a Fastlaner engineer who realised that better-utilised tech or code could actually eliminate 10 jobs.

Heck, I know professionals who spend all their lives in academia, only to end up teaching for pennies!

The market doesn't give a damn about degrees, let alone professionals. It doesn't give a damn whether we sold our sold to the devil for education. It cares about NEEDS, SOLUTIONS, WANTS!

Computer science should be useful to build better online solutions. But I just discovered that the best online websites like Airbnb and Basecamp are built by Ruby on Rails...a considerably simpler computer language. And I discovered that Fiverr was created by a non-tech founder, with outsourced help.

I learned that even though the world is unfairly hard, the world has UNFAIRLY (simpler?) EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS.

MrShah

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 10, 2014
Hi Vaious,

I feel you. During my second year at Uni I went through the same phase. Since you had already made up your mind at first to get a degree, I saw GO AHEAD with it! Engineering Degree is absolutely important and this is where you learn the a b c of your Industry. With experience and exposure via Industry Visits You'll learn far more. I graduated in Civil Engineeringthis year, and trust me it feels great. The only challenge you would face in the wait to land up your first job after you degree.

When you do get free time, Why not get involved in the Placements/ Entrepreneurship Dept in your College? There are tons of good linked minded students to meet there, HR"s to meet, connections to be made. And who knows? You might end up meeting your future investor, Biz partner, life-long friendships

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

UncleIroh

1079252849 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Oct 20, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Why dont you start learning a skill?

You can start with web design, SEO, copywriting, etc. Once you are somewhat comfortable start taking action (No need to be 100% expert, you will learn as you do with easier gigs).

If you start making some money and you like it you can drop out and save that money for starting new businesses.

Good luck

Mark

ZTiago

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 28, 2016

I was taking care of my cat and this came out, sorry.

On topic: I had the same issue between 2010-2014 taking a computer science degree on college.

I still hate computer science, but it was important to my fastlane business where I was able to be the first (and still the only one in the country) to build a web app that brings daily thousands to my website.

Also, it feels like a safe heaven if something goes wrong in the next decade ( this 10 years are secure)

Vaios

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Mar 5, 2015
Thank you everyone for taking the time, all your advice has been helpful.
One thing you did not mention was price. Is uni free?
Tuition is 9k pounds per year, I am already in debt for the first two. I don't have to pay back as long as I don't make over 20k per year, in that case they keep something each month. Those were the terms of the loan.

Vaios

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Mar 5, 2015
I am in a similar boat as well. Why don't you change your major to business?
As I said, I hate studying to take exams. Its unproductive and soul draining.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Tuition is 9k pounds per year, I am already in debt for the first two. I don't have to pay back as long as I don't make over 20k per year, in that case they keep something each month. Those were the terms of the loan.

9k pounds per year is a lot of money for something you don't like. It seems you are still doing due to family obligations so that means you are borrowing 9k pounds per year to keep the family happy. Am I close?

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Thank you everyone for taking the time, all your advice has been helpful.

20k? Does this give you a loophole?

What if you finish school and then start your own business? Incorporate and even if your business makes 100k in a year couldn't you only pay yourself 19,999 and as personal income and put 80,001 back into your business? Correct me if I'm wrong because I am kinda just guessing based on my limited knowledge of the subject but doesn't Warren Buffet do this? Anyways if this worked then you would never have to payoff your loan until you sold your business for millions.

On another note. I decided to stay in school because I didn't want to drop out with 50k in debt and nothing to show for it. Instead I have decided to go into 70k in debt for the degree.

I think most people on here would agree you shouldn't drop out until you get atleast 1 sale. All of those rich famous guys that dropped out of college already had a thriving business going. This is another reason why I didn't drop out.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Years ago I read a book called "Nothing Happens until something moves" named after a famous quote by Einstein I think. I actually didn't much like the book, a lot of spiritual stuff which I'm not personally big on. The main point was just take action. If you stick to the status quo, nothing is going to change.

You are currently on the slowlane path (go to school, get good grades, get good job, save, hopefully retire rich). Don't get me wrong, you can switch lanes whenever you like (after uni for example), but the longer you are on the slowlane, appeasing friends and family, the more comfortable it gets and the more likely you are to accept it as your life.

If you aren't happy where you are, move lanes.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Quick background: I am currently 19 in my second year as a Computer Science undergraduate at a British university. I'm preparing for my midterms and I have 2 more years.This one and the next one.

If you take the time to read this I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

When I went to uni I did it for several reasons I believed were valid at the time: 1. I wanted to have skills so that I can work for others until I do something for myself(like a safety net). 2. Pressure from family-school growing up that I had to go to university. These are the ones I can think at the top of my head.At least these are the ones that keep me from dropping out.Especially number 2.

I do not like what I'm doing and I can barely pass my modules.Right now I should be studying for my upcoming exams. But I hate studying so much and my degree gets into way much detail that I don't care about. I enjoy about 20% of what I do.

To sum it up, I want your advice. My gut tells me to just go through with it and then invest all of my free time into learning about entrepreneurship and broadening my horizons on what I can do to make money. Then I can work on something productive while studying, or even while working in IT. But I don't know enough to trust myself to just drop out right now. I have never made money in my life, so I don't know what else to do at this point besides being a good student and hoping I can work for someone else after I get my degree.(which I cannot get if I am not completely focused and not stressed like I am right now)

Thank you for your time

I went to college for 5 years to study computer engineering, by senior year i realized I didn't wanna be one.
But i finished because i was so close to the end.
If I felt like you near the beginning, I'd drop out.

With that said, fastlane isn't all about enjoying what you do, and computer science skills can be useful depending on what you end up doing.
It's all very vague i know, but that's how it is, that's why you have to decide for yourself.

EDIT:
wait your're in debt? F*ck that drop out now.
I went to school for free.
but understand that real life is much more challenging than school.
Studying for tests ain't shit compared to the real world test.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Look at my profile picture and answer it.

You want to be an entrepreneur right? The sooner you start the faster you are going to get there. That's it.

Everything you will learn there can be learned for free or a small price on the internet.

Its going to be hard, very hard, but worth it in the end.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
If you're asking then I wouldnt. Simply because if you truly felt you could do it you would. There is no hesitation for someone who is ready. They do it because there is nothing else. It's not something you ask on a forum, or to your parents, or around your friends. Its something you feel in your gut and no matter what anyone else says that is what stays.

Get a job, see how the real world works, if you're in debt start paying it off, if you're in school keeping going to school if you dont know anything else. If you're interested in entrepreneurship study it. Meet entrepreneurs. Create opportunities.

Most people that drop out, dont do it out of leisure if they are going to be successful. I would ask you, what are you going to do the day after you drop out? Do you have a plan? A job? An opportunity? Or are you gonna sit around on the internet asking people what to do?

Think your decision through but like we all say this forum isnt going to make life decisions for you.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
I wanted to have skills so that I can work for others until I do something for myself(like a safety net).

I don't blame you for falling into this trap, almost every university CS student does and it's sad.

University will give you a certificate that indicates a base level of competence. Everything else is on you.

Take responsibility for your education.
- find out what you're interested in and want to become better at
- spend time on projects outside of class in those areas

Just as with any field, aim to be the best at what you do.

pro-tip: focus on the areas where a university level education will actually help. Don't waste your time learning how to "build apps!!!", focus on the hard problems, ie Operating Systems, advanced algorithms, cryptography, etc.

If someone can make a crash course that summarizes everything you learned in one month, you're probably wasting your time. There are a lot of low hanging fruits in CS, avoid them, DON'T become "that IT guy."

Vaios

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Mar 5, 2015
9k pounds per year is a lot of money for something you don't like. It seems you are still doing due to family obligations so that means you are borrowing 9k pounds per year to keep the family happy. Am I close?
Pretty much yea.

Vaios

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Mar 5, 2015
As most of you recommended I decided to go through with it. Im gonna destroy my exams like I've done every time before that, and next term I'm gonna start working on a couple of ideas I have concerning web design. Im also considering applying for a placement year in the industry during my next year( I will be getting paid minimum wage if I get one).

Thanks for your time

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You really should NOT be taking such big life advice from random strangers on the internet.

I wrote about this here:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/link-forums/should-i-enter-huge-decision-here.139/

We do not know what drives you, your skills, your personality, etc. All of this matters. At the end of the day, during the day, and at the beginning of the day, we all just want to be happy. It sounds like you are not happy NOW, and if you envision a good job in IT as something unexcitable, then it might be the right choice.

Good luck.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
You really should NOT be taking such big life advice from random strangers on the internet.

"Don't take advice from strangers on the internet" - Stranger on the Internet

Now my signature. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.