The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm caught in a tough decision. Where to put my money!?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
TizeMe

Here the options I have laid out, that I have found within my own research that have seemed appealing

I'm deciding what to do next. I've saved a measly 500 bucks.

- Invest in a complete redesign. After all...even if its advertised appropriately, it won't matter if the product doesn't appeal!
- Pay 500 dollars to have 1,000,000,000 impressions on simplemachines.org - Banner Advertising
- Pay Attracta 890 dollars to attracta for this - TopListingâ„¢ by Attracta - Powerful SEO
- An bigger/better option I am unaware of.

I THINK I have a good idea, and I don't wanna create it my way and block everyone else out. I need to find a way to make it more appealing towards people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
LMAO!!! I have tried like 5 different times to accurately portray the message but I keep failing.

Hit the about button and tell me if that helps. If not, I seriously need to figure something out.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I figured that even if I had people going to my site, they'd see it and think "Eh, kinda ugly still". So I hired the same freelancer, and he did a fantastic job. It isn't done yet (Like most websites, are they ever), but the little kinks are being worked out.

Tell me what you think!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I was kind of interested in something like Attracta, but their website sucked a$$. I do not even know how to contact them nor would I want to with that shitty of a web site.

Anyone know of a good non-scam SEO option in the 300-1000 monthly price range? Would cheaper work get the job done?

Tommy when people post their site for free what is your average revenue per customer? If it just from adwords or something it is going to be lower than the customer acquisition cost for sure.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I was kind of interested in something like Attracta, but their website sucked a$$. I do not even know how to contact them nor would I want to with that shitty of a web site.

Anyone know of a good non-scam SEO option in the 300-1000 monthly price range? Would cheaper work get the job done?

Tommy when people post their site for free what is your average revenue per customer? If it just from adwords or something it is going to be lower than the customer acquisition cost for sure.

I know this isn't the true entrepreneurial answer, but I have no idea. It seems like right now I have no true way of telling.

I had a wild spike in adsense (Hadn't used adwords yet), and I made about 4 dollars in one day.

It is only one day and it was out of the ordinary but it gave me some hope. Right now I just wanna get it as perfect as it can be so its not looking under construction.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You need to open other advertising channels. I think you should maybe offer a premium package for site posters. Offer something above and beyond the free account and up-sell the free accounts constantly.

Think premium at $7 per month and premium plus at $15 with a yearly purchase option at maybe 25% savings. Though your niche is advertising is very competitive. I think it would still be hard to make up your advertising costs.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Hey Tommy.

Ok so a person posts their website. How will anyone see their website without registering?

I am not sure people would register just to see other people post their website.

As to what to spend your $500 on. I would not do a website redo. I would make sure their is a need for your site.

I DO see what you are looking to do as even here people thought you might be spamming. BUT I am not sure a website like you set up is the answer.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Well I dumped a fair amount of money in it, so I mean it is still worth a try, trying to run with it and seeing If I get any actions.

My honest opinion, if I can get people to participate and rate/comment/ect, it could go somewhere because it would give people an incentive to go back, correct?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So all the value you provide is just the comments and the potential small exposure jump? I don't know man. I think you will need more value to gain traction.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Any Ideas?

What if it becomes larger, with more and more people who want to find say...gaming websites, and the amount of traffic seriously propels the amount of views the posters receive.

As opposed to just posting, it is also about finding website......Hm, I should probably emphasize that considering I just realized it now.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Yes for sure if it gets larger.

But that is the tough thing. How do you get it larger when it really has so little value for a person to get him to post his website there.

I don't know. I wonder how do dating sites get started when you have zero people.

I wish I did know.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I would say luck, but thats not a good thing to rely on. Unless you create your own, that is.

This is an awesome time to ask- What do you think it needs ?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I am sorry I don't understand the concept.

Then again I don't understand Starbucks concept lol

Would it be possible for people to see what is happening without them having to register?

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
WOW, guys listen I feel like AN IDIOT right now.

I told the guy making it to add a "ENTER" button. Because right now it is just - Login, Register, and the actual website, which is L I N K S.

Usually he is really REALLY fast with his work but I'm sure he will be done by the weekend.

So please forgive me lol, I had no idea what you guys meant.

Yeah, just use the "Links" button at the top as your enter button. It will not be like that for long, hopefully not even until tomorrow.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
ok cool.

Some ideas off the top of my head.

Make it into a link exchange website.

Have contests people enter their website into a contest. Other people vote, the one with the most votes gets preferred placement or something else.

People can post their websites up there and offer their service to make similar websites for a fee.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The goal of your website is to help others get exposure and advertise their website.

Your question to us on the forum is, how do I get exposure to my website?

It's like starting a website on how to hit homeruns and then going to a baseball forum and ask for tips on hitting homeruns.

:eusa_naughty:

So please, for people who are looking to start a business. Please step back and ask yourself if you really know the business you are going into?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Have you ever had trouble finding a spot to post your website? Whether it be the low selection of sites that allow you to share it for free, the possibility of being called a spammer, or was it because you just didn't have money to put in to an advertising campaign? Whatever the case, be glad you found TizeMe! We've created this site for people that need a spot to post their website to gain critique, rate other creations, and of course, get views and visits! So get posting and enjoy your stay!

The above is your "About Me".

IMO, you are offering NO VALUE, but just a website created for the sake of creating a website. (BTW, I think the site does look good.)

So really, I don't get it -- does the internet *NEED* a place to post my website?

Nope.

There are MILLIONS of them.

If I want to "post my website", I go to Craigslist. Facebook. Twitter. I go to the blogs I read and comment on articles. (My website appears on the commenter profile.) I participate in established sites with defined purposes.

Fastlane success is founded by clearly defined value equations where a user immediately KNOWS the value, and is willing to pay for it, or use it experimentally.

With this, your definitive value point is ... is ... is .... is .... "post your website."

IMO, this won't work.

I would say luck, but thats not a good thing to rely on.

Luck is not the strategy of a Fastlaner, but a Sidewalker.

skipper

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Aug 10, 2012
I think it DOES have some potential.

You need to find a way to exploit what reddit does - that the brain is hooked on browsing for the sake of browsing.
So if you marry stumbleupon with reddit style "scroll, scroll" and kind of pInterest, but for new websites, well, why to hell not. I mean, to me even pInterest is stupid, but hey, it works.

DON'T redesign, design is OK.

DO start listing new pages for free. You need to create content first. Where can you find new pages? Answer that and start posting them.
CHANGE the landing page to show categories and when user clicks it, the scrolling begins.

I'm not sure what the value of this is, but heh, Instagram was sold for gazbilion, so, why to hell not.

BostonH

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 30, 2012
Massachusetts
It's free advertising, right? So why not you yourself add a bunch of websites that you like, and that are major players and begin to rate them and have everyone you know go on and rate them. Then, when some tech blogger or someone comes along and sees engadget.com (just using as an example) in the technology section, they say "Wow, so I can be listed here right next to Engadget if I sign up?" and then they sign up. I don't think any of the websites that you add will ever mind or even notice that you've linked them and rated them.

Having said that, I don't see the need in the marketplace. There are plenty of website aggregators. But it's all about execution, right? So good luck. Maybe you can develop it into something that does have a need.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So why not you yourself add a bunch of websites that you like, and that are major players and begin to rate them and have everyone you know go on and rate them. Then, when some tech blogger or someone comes along and sees engadget.com (just using as an example) in the technology section, they say "Wow, so I can be listed here right next to Engadget if I sign up?" and then they sign up.

Everybody read this -- the advice is priceless for getting started on things that need content.

This is exactly how I got started.

It took a shitton of time (PROCESS anyone?) and started the "social proof" engine working for you.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Thanks for the replies everyone! I did post popular websites in the categories and I will continue to do so.

As for Helishopter, I feel like that will either blow up or completely crash and burn. I still need to take a better look at it to formulate a real opinion, but if it is all of those things that you say I don't really think people will want to migrate.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Sorry for the triple post but I wanted to ask, should I work on finding faster ways to generate income (Not so much on the site, but for the site), or should I be looking for cheap, resourceful ways to get traffic?

I really don't know where to go without money.

SEO or Advertising?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Put quality info on your site.

Record podcasts and videos pertaining to your niche and put them on your site.

Give away free QUALITY items on your site which require an opt in. Then treat those people like GOLD!

RazvanRogoz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 18, 2011
Romania
- Invest in a complete redesign. After all...even if its advertised appropriately, it won't matter if the product doesn't appeal!
- Pay 500 dollars to have 1,000,000,000 impressions on simplemachines.org - Banner Advertising
- Pay Attracta 890 dollars to attracta for this - TopListingâ„¢ by Attracta - Powerful SEO
- An bigger/better option I am unaware of.

1. Form follows function. A redesign would work but it's not critical.
2. Impressions that won't convert. The only times these impressions are good is when you're trying to impress your friends with your Google Analytics stats.
3. Mmm ... I don't know what to say, never heard of them.

Yes, best option, hire a copywriter. Hire me :). No, now really ... money or no money, improve the copy on your website. This is what actually makes you the money. You don't even have to hire someone and you can do it yourself. I've spotted at least three mistakes you are doing right now.

The first one the headline. You are giving them an "yes / no" option which is not a good idea. Maybe they are looking for the same benefit but worded another way. Maybe they are looking for cool websites discovered by other people like them. Maybe your demographic is 18 - 25 and they are sharing or looking for a particular type of website. In any case, don't give them an YES / NO option as there are 1000 ways to get this wrong and only a few to get them right.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.