The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Illustrator questions

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
I have a story written and due to it being a kids book, I am looking for an illustrator.

How were you able to pair up with illustrators you used in the past? Also, what pitfalls are there to look out for?

Also, is marketing a kids book differant than marketing a novel? Anyone have insight or ideas on this?

Thanks Fastlaners!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
I have a story written and due to it being a kids book, I am looking for an illustrator.

How were you able to pair up with illustrators you used in the past? Also, what pitfalls are there to look out for?

Also, is marketing a kids book differant than marketing a novel? Anyone have insight or ideas on this?

Thanks Fastlaners!
I don't write in the children books genre, but I would suggest you check out upwork.com and search for illustrators. Check out some portfolios. If you already have an idea of what you want it to look like, show the artist the closest example you can find.

As far as marketing goes, I would assume it's the same, but with some minor tweaks. Remember, children's books should visually be marketed toward children (the art, illustration, and of course the subject) but the themes within and the value needs to be obvious to the PARENTS. I imagine it can be tricky, but once you figure out the formula that balances the demonstration of value to parents and their children, you win, and they do as well.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I have worked with an illustrator for my clients covers. Do you have an idea for what you want on the cover?

Main difference is pricing, usually Illustrators are more expensive. Because they have to draw by hand and that takes more time than Photoshopping stuff.

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
I have worked with an illustrator for my clients covers. Do you have an idea for what you want on the cover?

Main difference is pricing, usually Illustrators are more expensive. Because they have to draw by hand and that takes more time than Photoshopping stuff.
It's not just the cover, but the whole book.

This is my first project in getting a book done so I am utterly not sure what to do. I have read about self publishing, but are their better odds having a publisher do it?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

This is my first project in getting a book done so I am utterly not sure what to do. I have read about self publishing, but are their better odds having a publisher do it?

I've worked with several illustrators on kids books, usually on Upwork.

They can be kind of expensive considering the return.

$150 to $300 depending on book length.

You can get them to work with you at lower prices if you make it valuable for them.

If $150 up front is too much, consider offering just $50 with a 10% or 20% commission on all online sales.

If your book doesn't sell, you only spent $50.

If it does sell, you both win and the illustrator has reason to work with you in the future.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I've worked with several illustrators on kids books, usually on Upwork.

They can be kind of expensive considering the return.

$150 to $300 depending on book length.

You can get them to work with you at lower prices if you make it valuable for them.

If $150 up front is too much, consider offering just $50 with a 10% or 20% commission on all online sales.

If your book doesn't sell, you only spent $50.

If it does sell, you both win and the illustrator has reason to work with you in the future.

Those prices for what? Whole book or cover? That's super cheap..

Good illustrator will charge $500 just for cover.. Depends on style too of course, so for some non-detailed illustrations maybe less.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Having a Publisher doesn't help much at all. Takes a ton of time to shop the idea, then even if it got a book deal you'd have to wait more time to get published. Think delaying it 18 months.. and if you self publish you can get it done way faster and focus on writing next one.. and then you can still shop it to Publishers too. It doesn't prevent that..

Price for whole book will be in 4 figures. Depends on style of illustrations too (the more details the more pricey).

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Those prices for what? Whole book or cover? That's super cheap..

Good illustrator will charge $500 just for cover.. Depends on style too of course, so for some non-detailed illustrations maybe less.

I hired 2 illustrators for that rate for whole books.

Ended up getting rid of one because she didn't respond in a timely manner.

The other one completed a total of around 28 pages.

These first 2 images are from the book for $50.

That third image (water image) is a one-off image I paid $3 for.

Usually I send her about 10 random images a week for $3.

page2 smaller.jpg page17 - Smaller.jpg Depths of God.jpg

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I hired 2 illustrators for that rate for whole books.

Ended up getting rid of one because she didn't respond in a timely manner.

The other one completed a total of around 28 pages.

These first 2 images are from the book for $50.

That third image (water image) is a one-off image I paid $3 for.

Usually I send her about 10 random images a week for $3.

View attachment 11958 View attachment 11959 View attachment 11957

What countries?

Def. got lucky with the illustrator of first 2 images. Looks good work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.