The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you have no idea, should you just move up in the slowlane?

Idea threads

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
I would pound hard on your side business

I would couple that with a more steady business that is based around services so you can stay busy and have consistent revenue. Amazon businesses have a tendency to suddenly become unprofitable.

Would hate to hear a sob story "What do I do? Someone undercut me and now I have less sales!" Have another thing bringing you cash.

Then I would move here.

View attachment 29306

I took this 5 seconds ago. It's $20 a night. Free wi-fi. American food for $4 a plate. Scooter rental for $7 a day. You can live on $40 a day here. "Ko Lanta" near Krabi in Thailand.

Wake up and work on your business a little bit in the morning with a cup of coffee by the beach...head out on a motorcycle with a cute girl and go find a new place to explore...swing back and have some lunch and go swimming...work a little bit in the afternoon and go back to your bungalow for some quiet time.

Good way to spend your early 20's.

Need something to kill time? I'm gonna go ride some elephants in a couple hours. BRB.

I read this and can't get the smell of shit out of my mind lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
$10k in a month? Sweet. Is that still ongoing? What happened to that venture?

No, it was a hot product at the time and burned out pretty quickly (about 2 months). Was good experience though, having to manage a store on my own and handle customer support, shipping, bookkeeping.

why not start a marketing firm

Procrastination. Imposter syndrome. I would like to do more work for clients, Ive freelanced here and there.

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
Sounds like a problem that needs to be solved.

That particular problem is known as a "solved problem" in the IT community. It's not hard to implement self service tools that allow users to reset their own passwords (Click link, fill in your email address, fill in the code from the email they send, create new password).

Getting OP's company to actually implement it though... ‍*shrug*

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
More direct to OP's question though: MAYBE.

The two requirements I would argue are critical:
  1. The skill is something that you're interested in/suited for/passionate about.
  2. It will propel your business goals forward in some way.
Personally, I just completed a major career pivot by completing a software development bootcamp and I'm now employed full-time as a React developer.

Pros:
  • I now have a skillset that is valuable both as an employee and (maybe a bit less) as an owner (see ANY of the "should I learn to code?" threads).
  • Whether I hire someone or do the thing myself, I know how to "speak software".
  • I am aware of many cutting edge tools to make programs run better, faster, or cheaper. Things like serverless architecture, build tools, CI/CD pipelines, etc.
Cons:
  • There is value in a job that doesn't have a high mental load. Mentally demanding jobs cause you to feel "drained" at the end of the day, even though you were just sitting in a chair for 8 hours.
  • I tend to focus too much on the minutiae instead of things that really matter. Some of that is my personality, some of it is the development process itself (i.e. needing to figure out the technical details of WHY a particular bug happened in order to fix it).
  • There can often be (partially self-imposed) pressure for your development job to consume you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.