The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If the American Dream is dead...

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I actually learned a lot from my World of Warcraft days - I think that was even my first introduction to entrepreneurship.
I think there's a lot of untapped potential in MMO games right now - really a good opportunity to make games that are both fun and valuable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
My brother is like this but with call of duty

[video=youtube;MT0-OL_71yU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT0-OL_71yU[/video]

At first, i wanted to become a video game desginer but then I lost interest after firguring out that they didnt really make a lot of money.

My high school economics teacher is the person who got me into finance, and seeing how much hedge fund managers made and what they have to do to get their is what has me interested.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Feb 10, 2009
NYC
The U.S. is the world's largest economy. I don't see many reasons not to start your career or business in this country (though admittedly there are some).

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Its far from dead, people just like to complain.

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
"The grass is always greener on the other side". You really can't always be thinking "what if". You've got to focus on your current situation and actually take action instead of wishing what could be.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Anyone else see the US's tax ranking on that post Ryan put up? It was no surprise to me that Singapore was at the top of the list. I was surprised I didn't see Panama though.

The #1 issue in this country is the educational system. We don't teach financial literacy, heck, sometimes I wonder if we teach any literacy anymore.

When I was in school, I had it in my mind that I was going to be blue collar and that was the way to be (I blame to much country music for this mindset, specifically Aaron Tippin) as I got into my early 20s, I realized that I was not on the right path for me, but I still hadn't figured out what that path was. I've only slowly been moving towards it since the financial crisis began.

Realistically, we also don't teach the options. Doctors raise doctors, engineers raise engineers, that sort of thing. While some break this mold, many don't. It's not because they don't want to, but I'd say many of them don't know much else.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
As far as taxes go the US is the cheapest to pay taxes in among every 1st world country. You can't really compare it to tax heavens or 3rd world crap holes.

Taxes in this country have been dropping for the past 30 years, personal income tax used to be very high, and we did fine with it. I believe 93% was the highest tax bracket.

As said above people like to complain and scream its human nature.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
As far as taxes go the US is the cheapest to pay taxes in among every 1st world country. You can't really compare it to tax heavens or 3rd world crap holes.

This is not true. The US has the highest corporate tax rate in the world and one of the highest personal tax rates in the world. In some states, the combined tax rate puts the US at the top of the list in the world for highest tax rate, ie. CA and NY.

Your presumption, and many others as well, is that other countries are tax havens or 3rd world countries. The reality is there are many, many countries in the world with much lower taxes with no sacrifice in quality of life.

Taxes in this country have been dropping for the past 30 years, personal income tax used to be very high, and we did fine with it. I believe 93% was the highest tax bracket.

This is also untrue. The US lead the way with lowering tax rates in the '80s under Reagan. Since that time the rest of the world was forced to reduce their tax rates to compete. However, the US has since raised several 'hidden taxes' and especially over the past 2 years many states have dramatically raised their state tax rates.

Much of the rest of the developed world has continued to reduce tax rates to remain or even gain a competitive advantage while the US remained stagnant or even raised rates.

Its true that the US tax rates are lower than in the '70s, but you need to compare apples to apples. Even Russia has a lower tax burden than the US now.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
I agree with the people who say that the U.S is still one of the best places to come and "live the dream".
On the other hand, I think that the "american dream" is slowly dying down.

As the economy became global, I think it is inevitable for resources change hands and equalize (I.E outsourcing).
Like connecting a pipe between the buttom of two barrels - one allmost empty and the other full. The water levels will equalize.
So the economy and quality of life in the U.S will go down, while other economies will strengthen.
I dont see a reason why the U.S economics will become better, instead of gradually becoming worse.

That being said - the U.S is still a place where one can come with ambition and "live the dream", or atleast live comfotably. I got to meet many people who came to the U.S speaking little english, worked their asses off in sales and quickly enough were making 6-8k a month (which is atleast 2-3 times more than what they could've earned in their original country - a dream for them). Those were just regular people - the entrepreneurs within them are making completely different figures.

So I dont think The American Dream is dead, but generally speaking things are changing for the bad.
This just strenghens the logic in being entreprenurial and controlling your wealth.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.