The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ideas for a USP or added value to my products

Idea threads

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
How can i differentiate between our company and others when selling power products like laptop chargers, power supplies etc?

We offer a lifetime warranty and longer than usual power cable but other than that what can i do that will set our products aside from the others?

I was toying with the idea of having all our products a certain colour, like White for example but the manufacturing process is very costly.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
That's rough. Power supplies now are commodotized. Take cell phone chargers for example? You can go to any gas station and pick up what should be a $20 lightning cable for $5. Will it fry your phone? Sure! But consumers don't care about that. I saw it all the time when I worked for Verizon.

As far as laptop chargers, look into market research. I imagine most people don't invest in a second cable until they lose the first one. Odds are, they'll go on Amazon and find the cheapest one.

Adding guarantees to your product (cover overcharging or surge damage) may help, but I don't know if it will convince the average consumer who just wants the cheapest product out there.

Not exactly constructive, I apologize for that. But this is a product that I see as just a race for cheapest product.

blackbrich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern USA
If you don't have a brand I've heard of and trust then you're just another cable, charger, power strip, etc.
You'd have to do something extremely different to make me look at your product. You'd have to do something even more useful to make me actually want to buy it.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
How can i differentiate between our company and others when selling power products like laptop chargers, power supplies etc?

We offer a lifetime warranty and longer than usual power cable but other than that what can i do that will set our products aside from the others?

I was toying with the idea of having all our products a certain colour, like White for example but the manufacturing process is very costly.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Maybe you could add in converters like chargers that fit many different phones/ laptops. I'm thinking things that can switch between Android and Apple products. Maybe even portable chargers or battery packs? I have this great handheld phone charger, much more powerful than those regular small charger packs. It lasts at least 6 months between charges and I love it! It was a gift from a client at a previous job. I carry it with me everywhere. Maybe adding things like that might help.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
How about something that improves travel or reduces the number of outlet sockets needed:

flat-power-cord-idea.jpg

folding_uk_plug.jpg

These are for the UK but are excellent ideas. They work on their own or twist into one main unit to minimise outlet usage. Not sure if they are in production/legal/practical in real life but they seem a great idea. Plus, you then get all future sales.

Alternatively focus on the Business user and offer next day shipping to any location, if ordered before 11pm. - Not sure how practical this is where you are but people who NEED their laptop working will probably pay more than Joe Public.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Thanks for the input everyone. Yes there are a lot of cheap sellers of these products but there a few who sell at a higher price and do well. I know of one competitor who sells at least 600 a night on Amazon.com and their products are more expensive than most.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.