The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Icon Enhancers" - my website

DavLung

Really Fast Tricycle
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 4, 2012
California
Hi all,

I've been trying new things lately. Started with app development and that didn't go too well so this is my next business: Icon Enhancer Pack | Enhancing App Icons

Basically I made frames, banners, ribbons, etc. to enhance the icons of developer's apps. With so many apps in the market today, the icon is the first visual cue to hook buyers and thus if icon isn't appealing, the buyers will think in turn that the app isn't good which loses revenue for the developer. Thus I am selling images that can enhance the visual aesthetics of apps icons -> this will hopefully get the developer more users -> which equals more revenue for the developer.

I used wordpress to build the website. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
David

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cliqflip

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 21, 2012
Orange County
very tough market - a lot of people are in that already-

How are you different ? <--- really define that, then hype the heck out of it

DavLung

Really Fast Tricycle
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 4, 2012
California
a lot of people are doing apps and there is a lot of icons out there to buy but for apps the icon has to reflect the game/app so app developers can't just get any icon, they really have to entice the user to check out their app... which makes the icon very important. That's my take.

Thrive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 2, 2011
San Antonio, TX
The landing page looks ok. But I would put a pay button at the bottom of the page because I was confused for a bit about how to get the Icons, but then I scrolled to the top and saw the Pay button.

DavLung

Really Fast Tricycle
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 4, 2012
California
thanks Jacob, I added the "Buy" button as you suggested.

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
My suggestions would be to:

1. Make the clarity header more attractive, you have the features in blue but I suggest you also put the "The easiest and fastest way to create standout app icons" in a blue color also and out of the pic and in the content below. This will help audience quickly understand what you are presenting (Took a while to understand this is for developers).

2. I suggest you declare the problem your audience may have and than present your solution.

Eg: Icon isn't getting enough customers? How about I show you how to change that.

3. Testomonials are needed! Even if you don't have any customers yet you can always quote people that have stated that App Icons are important etc.

4. Reorder your content so that your features are under the explaination of the product.

5. Last thing move your price anchor to the bottom of the page and out of the Features.

Good luck and hope my advice helps.

DavLung

Really Fast Tricycle
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 4, 2012
California
Thanks Bruce, I made some of the changes you suggested.

I think I need to prove with hard data to developers that this really works. And also need to do some marketing.

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
The changes look great and also if you can't find data stating that app icons can improve sales, you can always quote famous people that state that appearance of products increase sales etc.

cliqflip

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 21, 2012
Orange County
Would be cool if I could just upload my image that i'm going to be using in your icon pack - then go through see if I like any --- If I find one, then I have to pay to use it (have a watermark over it).

Then you can charge by individual icons.

Also then after you make some sales you can charge more for the ones that are selling more.

Goodluck, hope this sparks some ideas

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I think that if you can do it, instead of having the Before Icon --> After Icon like you have under "This is the solution" maybe you could make a good video demonstrating how easily you can upgrade your app icon in only 30 seconds. This way, you're showing them exactly what you're product does, how it's done, and how quickly it can be done - all things a potential customer would want to know.

DavLung

Really Fast Tricycle
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 4, 2012
California
I think that if you can do it, instead of having the Before Icon --> After Icon like you have under "This is the solution" maybe you could make a good video demonstrating how easily you can upgrade your app icon in only 30 seconds. This way, you're showing them exactly what you're product does, how it's done, and how quickly it can be done - all things a potential customer would want to know.

yeah i was thinking to get someone to do a Youtube tutorial on making an iphone or android icon, using my icon enhancers. But so far, not even one sale! So not sure how much more I should invest in this. I was thinking I should do advertising first like Google Adwords but I don't have the budget so I've been going to developer forums and posting there.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
yeah i was thinking to get someone to do a Youtube tutorial on making an iphone or android icon, using my icon enhancers. But so far, not even one sale! So not sure how much more I should invest in this. I was thinking I should do advertising first like Google Adwords but I don't have the budget so I've been going to developer forums and posting there.

Why do you need someone else to do it? Is that not something you can do yourself? I mean, if you don't have a camera, I understand, but why not just try it yourself? If you do want to have it done, I might recommend Fiverr.

Don't be too discouraged by the lack of sales if you've only been at this for a little while. Yes, there is a point at which you should give up, but don't give in after two or three weeks or something like that. You probably have a lot of competition as the app industry is a huge market, but it is a growing market, so there is certainly potential. Getting organic traffic will probably be tough and very costly. Youtube could be a great way to get traffic. The chance of someone Googling "app icon frames" and coming across your site is probably pretty miniscule. The chance of someone searching on Youtube for app icon frames and finding you might be better, it won't cost much, if anything, it lasts as long as Youtube is around or likes you, and its effect is cumulative. It can't hurt to try!

DavLung

Really Fast Tricycle
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 4, 2012
California
Why do you need someone else to do it? Is that not something you can do yourself?

Hi Trevor, thanks for your words, that pretty much got me going. I guess I was really making excuses for myself, saying how I couldn't do a video tutorial because I'd never done one before.

It isn't perfect, took 5 tries and I often stuttered when talking but here it is!
Youtube Video:
How to Quickly and Easily Create a Professional App Icon - YouTube

My Process:
Looked up youtube video on how to make a youtube video (lol)
How to Record Your PC Screen for Free (In HD too!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYhSo7U_CCg

Some tips:
1) Make sure to test your mic first before you start recording so that it sounds right and doesn't have any hissing noises, etc.
2) Make sure you don't have anything that would induce pop-ups, that kind of ruins the video and I had to restart twice because of this.
3) Do it in an environment where there is no background noise. Like your dog coming up and barking, etc.
4) Write a script so that you know how the video should flow! Looking back, I think it is better to outline the points you want to talk about and just talk naturally. I read directly from my script sometimes and it just doesn't seem as good as when just talking to the viewer.

Thanks for everybody's help! :hurray:

Leary

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 29, 2012
Victoria, Australia
Heya, I like the idea you're getting across but if the selling point of Icon Enhancers is to enhance their existing app icon, have the video commence from a pre-existing icon displayed. You want to cut the 9 minutes down as much as possible, and decrease video load times too. Heck, if you're worried about stuttering I'm sure someone on Fiverr will read a script over your movements (your movements should be planned and confident, no wavering of the mouse etc).

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Hi Trevor, thanks for your words, that pretty much got me going. I guess I was really making excuses for myself, saying how I couldn't do a video tutorial because I'd never done one before.

It isn't perfect, took 5 tries and I often stuttered when talking but here it is!

See? There you go! I'm not very confident making videos either, but sometimes I just have to force myself out of my comfort zone and usually it pays off.

I agree with Leary though; you may want to start with an icon, so that you don't have to make one, and therefore you can shorten the video. You don't want the video to be too short (under 1 minute) but you don't want it to be too long (over 6 minutes). This is a pretty good tutorial though!

P.S. If you do have a voice over done on Fiverr, you should get a guy with an English accent. Or actually, a girl with an English accent. That would be awesome. Lol. You can always try out stuff on Fiverr and see how you like it, because even if you don't like it, you're only out $5!

DavLung

Really Fast Tricycle
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 4, 2012
California
Leary and Trevor, yeah you guys are right, after viewing it a couple of times, lack of confidence in tone and moving the mouse around too much makes it look unprofessional. I agree with shortening it too. I'll redo it.

Heya, I like the idea you're getting across but if the selling point of Icon Enhancers is to enhance their existing app icon, have the video commence from a pre-existing icon displayed.
This really got me thinking. I think these icon enhancers gives an easy and quick way to make a cool icon not enhance an existing icon per say, although in some cases it can. I think I need to repitch it to EZ Icons or something else people are getting the wrong impression.

Thanks!

Leary

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 29, 2012
Victoria, Australia
I think these icon enhancers gives an easy and quick way to make a cool icon not enhance an existing icon per say
It was the "From [ICON] to [enhanced icon]" image on your website that gave me that impression, it looks like you're enhancing an existing icon. A person will get their first impression of your product, your offering, and its worth within the first 10 seconds of glancing at your webpage. And first impressions last.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.