The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I was beginning to think I was the only one

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
So we were out with these people the other night. One of the guys is very rich from oil. Us guys are all talking and then this guys wife says to the other ladies.... you will never guess what happened the other day! I walked in to the garage and 'G' had it full of old lawn mowers! I think he is out of his mind because he said he is going to fix them and sell them. My wife and her sister busted out laughing..... my wife said, "You should see our garage, it's full of washers and dryers!" The lady looked puzzled because she is not used to the real world at all. She asked, "WHY?" My wife said because he sells them. His wife just couldn't get it through her head why either of us would do such a thing. I don't know what the initial conversation was but she told him in front of us, that kind of thing was not going to happen in her garage any longer. lol She is not one of my favorite people so with a wife like her, I can understand why he wants to get the hell out of the house.

So now he and I have decided to take our freak show in to a warehouse so we aren't taking up the garage space any longer. I thought I was the only one that hated not working so it's nice to see someone else like me for a change.

The week before, we went to this big dinner and people were asking me what type of business I was in. I would say, "I sell used washers and dryers". Almost everyone leaned in and said, "You do what?"! lmao My one buddy that owned a janitorial company up north would go to these fancy dinners with his wife for her company and he used to tell people he was a janitor. She would get so mad at him. lol

I think the moral to my story is.... no matter how high your life takes you, just be YOU. I tried fancy cars, I quickly found that I didn't like impressing anyone. My mother would be proud of me and that is the only thing that matters. I lived in the big house.... hated it. Don't be afraid to be you. And for those of you at the bottom, don't be ashamed, work hard and make it to the top.... but when you reach the top, don't turn in to someone you are not or don't turn in to that person you didn't like when you was at the bottom. There is always someone with more than you and there is always someone with less than you so just be you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
So we were out with these people the other night. One of the guys is very rich from oil. Us guys are all talking and then this guys wife says to the other ladies.... you will never guess what happened the other day! I walked in to the garage and 'G' had it full of old lawn mowers! I think he is out of his mind because he said he is going to fix them and sell them. My wife and her sister busted out laughing..... my wife said, "You should see our garage, it's full of washers and dryers!" The lady looked puzzled because she is not used to the real world at all. She asked, "WHY?" My wife said because he sells them. His wife just couldn't get it through her head why either of us would do such a thing. I don't know what the initial conversation was but she told him in front of us, that kind of thing was not going to happen in her garage any longer. lol She is not one of my favorite people so with a wife like her, I can understand why he wants to get the hell out of the house.

So now he and I have decided to take our freak show in to a warehouse so we aren't taking up the garage space any longer. I thought I was the only one that hated not working so it's nice to see someone else like me for a change.

The week before, we went to this big dinner and people were asking me what type of business I was in. I would say, "I sell used washers and dryers". Almost everyone leaned in and said, "You do what?"! lmao My one buddy that owned a janitorial company up north would go to these fancy dinners with his wife for her company and he used to tell people he was a janitor. She would get so mad at him. lol

I think the moral to my story is.... no matter how high your life takes you, just be YOU. I tried fancy cars, I quickly found that I didn't like impressing anyone. My mother would be proud of me and that is the only thing that matters. I lived in the big house.... hated it. Don't be afraid to be you. And for those of you at the bottom, don't be ashamed, work hard and make it to the top.... but when you reach the top, don't turn in to someone you are not or don't turn in to that person you didn't like when you was at the bottom. There is always someone with more than you and there is always someone with less than you so just be you.
I totally agree with you. My needs, at this stage in my life, are really simple and basic. Who am I going to impress? Why would I make the effort? Past that, why would I want to be owned by a collection of possessions?

You're right. Trying to keep up, and/or out-do others is a losing game. It makes you the perfect target to be either shot in the back, or get caught with your pants down.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Don't be afraid to be you. And for those of you at the bottom, don't be ashamed, work hard and make it to the top.... but when you reach the top, don't turn in to someone you are not or don't turn in to that person you didn't like when you was at the bottom. There is always someone with more than you and there is always someone with less than you so just be you

:thumbsup: This is my thought for the day now

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
The week before, we went to this big dinner and people were asking me what type of business I was in. I would say, "I sell used washers and dryers". Almost everyone leaned in and said, "You do what?"

What's wrong with selling used washers and dryers? A lot of the less glamorous and un-cool type of businesses in the world are the ones making big money :cool:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
You need to move to Dallas..... even the old ladies drive 120mph on I-20. lmao What I love are the people who can't take a corner over 10mph but once they get on a straightaway they can do 100mph and think they are a good driver. lol

Just yesterday I was talking to the neighbor across the street. We just bought the house a few months ago..... $200,000, 1957 house in an older neighborhood, we love it here and it's old charm. So he and I were talking and he says, "Do you know who I am?". I said "No". Which doesn't mean a thing because anyone from Hollywood could be sitting next to me and I don't really pay any attention to who a person is. Turns out he is also a multimillionaire and was in a popular rock band in the 90's. He just settled down 2 years ago and got married. He said they moved in this neighborhood to be out of the rat race. He said he wants to start some type of small business like I have going, maybe a handyman type but he doesn't want to be recognized. He did cut his long hair so he looks totally different now (he showed me a picture of back in the day)..... plus really bad teeth, probably from doing drugs but he needs to fix them! EEKKKK Maybe he could get a reality show doing handyman work.... or maybe with his connections I could get a reality show for washers & dryers!!! lol Nah, they would want me to work during my nap time. :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So now he and I have decided to take our freak show in to a warehouse

Yes, congrats!

What's wrong with selling used washers and dryers?

Agree. It's the type of business that can make someone rich because it isn't sexy.

He said he wants to start some type of small business like I have going, maybe a handyman type but he doesn't want to be recognized. He did cut his long hair so he looks totally different now (he showed me a picture of back in the day).....

So technically he's already Unscripted and just looking to chill?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

I'm actually interested in how he gets spare parts to fix the machines up.:smile:

Order direct from manufacturer or get a fabricator?

I think that these days, newer models are popping up, so is there a limit as to which model of washers and dryers that can be fixed by the guy? There is a difference between a 2000s design and a 2010 design, or do the washer/dryer companies have a different product release cycle?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
You don't use every machine you buy, some just aren't worth repairing, so we use those for parts. Or atleast the way our system works, we don't use every machine. I'd rather pay $40 for a whole washer and use it for parts rather than buy a new actuator for $40. There are a few parts we do buy. We just try to find the best prices possible.

My guy can fix any washer or dryer there is but we do not mess with front loads or older models. There is a huge market for front loads if a person wants to mess with them but we stay over-busy with only top loads. You are correct, a 2000 washer is nothing like a 2015 washer. Nowadays they are all about the computer. I could work on them if I wanted to, he has taught me, but that is one part I'm not interested in. But when I am out on a delivery and something goes wrong, I can fix it if needed. My one buddy sells only old models and makes a killing. He sells the set for $270 and sells about 15 sets a day 7 days a week. His are old and beat up and people buy them because they are cheap. He caters to a whole other group than I do, but he makes a great living doing it.

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria

You have a good writing style.Really like this post.Its almost like you were talking to me.It never pays to impress people who don't really care or are not important to the progress of your life.Good one minivanman.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.