The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to start a movie production company which will have branches all across the globe in 5-10 years.

MaxSteel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 16, 2018
I want to start a movie production company which will transform the movie industry .
I am willing to work on this day and night. But here's the problem - All I have is 21k in my savings account.

Why do I think I can do this? I come from a family of writers. My grandfather was a writer back home ( in a 3rd world ) where he made his fortune through his writing and lot of his novels were converted into movies.

I too have been blessed by that same gene unlike 20 of my cousins who doesn't have it. This I believe is the main reason why I believe I can do this!

I am working as an engineer and I recently switched to a plant based diet which is starting to give me tons of energy. But I still believe I need more energy because the software field I work in require lots of mental energy .

Good thing about my corporate profession is that it lets me save a good chunk in a short period.

But I still don't have my mind in the IT field. My mind is filled with imagination and I want to work towards my dream.

How do I accomplish this impossible dream ? I should have around 30k saved up by end of the year. I am 37 male by the way.

(Update: I don't live in a 3rd world. I did my high school and college in New York )

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I want to start a movie production company which will transform the movie industry .
I am willing to work on this day and night. But here's the problem - All I have is 21k in my savings account.

Why do I think I can do this? I come from a family of writers. My grandfather was a writer back home ( in a 3rd world ) where he made his fortune through his writing and lot of his novels were converted into movies.

I too have been blessed by that same gene unlike 20 of my cousins who doesn't have it. This I believe is the main reason why I believe I can do this!

I am working as an engineer and I recently switched to a plant based diet which is starting to give me tons of energy. But I still believe I need more energy because the software field I work in require lots of mental energy .

Good thing about my corporate profession is that it lets me save a good chunk in a short period.

But I still don't have my mind in the IT field. My mind is filled with imagination and I want to work towards my dream.

How do I accomplish this impossible dream ? I should have around 30k saved up by end of the year. I am 37 male by the way.

lol

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Look for a well established movie production company who got already done it - The Right Hand Person

Once you find the right hand person:
1) Direct Access: Invite that person for a coffee meetup, if everything goes well, pay $$$ mentor-ship & coaching for his/her time.
2) Indirect Access: If that Right Hand Person wrote a any What/How-To-book, or have any online digital flagship course already. Read it & Participate it.

Last edited:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
You could start by looking at how other indie production companies got their start. There are several books on the subject.

512u6IAhfvL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51xdA-H-upL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
What about trying to approach the people that work for the people that are responsible for screening and/or greenlighting film for Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ and so on? (Or a mainstream cinema type production company like Paramount Pictures if you prefer that.)

And I don't mean like just pitch these people. More so, get talking to them and make them like you. Find common ground and go out of your way to be nice to them. Sometimes talking to second/third/fourth in command type people allow you to meet the people that actually can make something happen for you.

A good book on this is Superconnector.

Alternatively, could you find people that are passionate about film like you are and start a production company of your own? I mean, it can take time to transform any industry, but you have to start somewhere.

If you want to make movies, make movies. I'm sure you have more than enough starting capital to cover equipment. People make successful movies with inexpensive gear so it can be done without spending a lot of money. Unless you are stuck on using some expensive technology to make the film.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
How about instead of expensive movie production companies you have video a video producing company. As in you rent the room and equipment for YouTubers. Specially those in third world countries that might not other wise have the money to buy good cameras and equipment.

MaxSteel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 16, 2018
How about instead of expensive movie production companies you have video a video producing company. As in you rent the room and equipment for YouTubers. Specially those in third world countries that might not other wise have the money to buy good cameras and equipment.

Oh sorry. I don't live in a 3rd world anymore. I did my schooling ( most of it ) in New York.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Oh sorry. I don't live in a 3rd world anymore. I did my schooling ( most of it ) in New York.
Just because you don't live there it doesn't mean you can't do business there.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
You're so far past gone in delusion that constructive criticism won't work on you and will be a waste of time.
So what was your goal in replying then? This forum is to help other people.

If you think he’s being delusional, do him the favor of explaining your logic instead of letting him go on like that.

I agree that OP’s head is in the clouds, but he does have a dream that could be brought back down to earth.

I don’t know much about the film industry, but what are some smaller goals and milestones that you would have to set up for yourself and hit along the way @MaxSteel?

If you aim really high and you fall short, that’s fine. Just remember that there needs to be a process in place with tangible results and milestones. You need to take a lot of action and be willing to eat shit.

Are there positions you can find in the film industry that you’d be happy to start out with? Do you enjoy just being involved in the scene?

I ask this because you don’t want to view your time and life as wasted if you don’t get that one end goal. The journey should be fun for you and where you end up should be icing on the cake.

It does sound to me like you’re more interested in the idea of being a film producer than the reality. What have you done at your age that is connected to this goal?

You speak of your parents, but that has nothing to do with you. What have you done, what are you going to do, and why should anyone Put more stock into what you’re saying than when I say I’m going to be a famous actor?

I don’t even want to be an actor and I’ve taken an acting class. So what have you done other than make a forum post about it?

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
The one thing I do like about OP is that it is a large goal. Even as @MitchM has said:

If you aim really high and you fall short, that’s fine. Just remember that there needs to be a process in place with tangible results and milestones. You need to take a lot of action and be willing to eat shit.

Like we can all debate the conditions of what it means to "transform the movie industry." But, what exactly do you want to do and be in this industry.

If you want to be writing film, start there. Write some movies, get involved in communities (online and offline) with other people that write movies, maybe consider helping other people write there indie films, etc.

You can start your own production company as well too. Start it now. It's okay to start a passion business.

You'll do good things. People can be harsh when people announce big goals/dreams. But, that's a good direction to aspire too.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Paranormal Activity was shot on an $11,000 budget and grossed nearly $200M...

Do you have any experience in the industry? Have you shot / produced anything before?

Could you start with a series of short movies first (think Kung Fury, or something from the DUST channel)?

If you going in raw, this is probably going to be an expensive learning experience...

pumpking

powered by coffee
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 14, 2019
Boston, Massachusetts
This would be a hard road. The movie industry is dominated by multi-billion dollar companies like Disney, Warner Bros, etc. so it really depends on what your end goal looks like when you mention transforming the industry. Nothing is impossible but some things are close to impossible. :)

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Start with a good camera and shoot weddings. My brother started out as a wedding DJ, then photographer. Now he has the highest rated wedding film company on the east coast. Start with what you know and build on it.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I like the idea, I'm so done with Hollywood reboots remakes remasters and adaptations. Remember when people actually wrote for the screen? Pepperidge Farm Remembers.

If you start watching international movies you realize there's a lot of great movies out there, especially because they are told differently than your cookie cutter hollywood and hbo series. GoT went to hell the minute hbo started co-writing.

If he can expose people to new movies other than your typical "oh look it's Matt Damon again, wonder where we gotta rescue him from now" I think he will be adding value to the industry. No need to go face to face with Hollywood to make money.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Creativity, Inc. is going to be a must read for you. Please check it out. (Spoiler: It took Ed Catmull 2+ decades to get his first feature film in theaters!)

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

(Update: I don't live in a 3rd world. I did my high school and college in New York )

I must say that I thought you were joking at first, however you seem to be serious so I'll give you a serious reply.

Okay, so first I'll state the obvious, owning a production company involves producing films. It is possible to have a production company and not have one single talented bone in your entire body (just ask Harvey Weinstein).

Also, writing novels that get made into films, will almost definitely not lead you into having a production company.

The only way you will have a production company (global or not) in 5-10 years, is if you write a movie and produce it yourself, however if you want the film to be any good, and to look like the ones you're used to watching on the silver screen, then that will take cash, lots and lots, and lots of cash.

Even if you make a film that the whole world wants to see, it is unlikely that you will have enough money to start a production company.

Therefore you should concentrate your efforts on simply making films, and if after 10 years of making really good ones that make you hundreds of millions of dollars, you can start a production company with the proceeds.

Start by writing a short film and making it. Then get it out to all the relevant short film festivals. Repeat this process at least a dozen times. Keep developing your art and writing slightly longer and longer pieces, until you have written a feature length script. Any successful film script has been doing the rounds on average for 2 years.

Essentially you have to do this over and over again, hopefully producing decent, sellable scripts.

However be realistic, unless you write the next Harry Potter, the revenue from your films will not be enough to fund a global production company.

This is the story of a friend of mine who is now a pretty big deal in Hollywood.

He went to film school

In school he discovered the director Chris Cunningham and decided that he wanted to work for him.

He wrote him over fifty letters (email didn't exist in those days!)

The final letter he wrote him was contained in a parcel, alongside a mashed up pair of Levis 501 jeans. The letter said; "Dear Chris, these are the state of my jeans after begging you for so long to work with you."

Chris Cunnigham wrote back enclosing a £2500 ($3240) and told him to make a Playstation advert with the money.

My friend did just that.

Cunnigham liked the ad, and contacted Sony, they liked the ad too and gave him a budget of £25,000 to make it properly.

This started his career as an advert director, directing big ads for (amongst others) Mercedes, Lexus, and Guinness.

Eventually he was noticed by Miramax and called in for a meeting, which led to him directing his first film.

I'm not going to name drop, however he has directed three major films in Hollywood, and I'm fairly sure you would have heard of at least one of them. However even after all this, he is still a million miles away from owning his own global production company.

So instead of wanting to buy the best football team, attempt to play for it first, then try and become its star player, then maybe buy the team with your wages and endorsements.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Fede Alvarez made a short film ($300) in his native Uruguay, and within a few years was writing and directing feature films in Hollywood.

"It took U$s300 to shoot the live action, and then maybe a year to complete the 90 vfx shots (during very interrupted periods…) I used Premiere, After, Photoshop, 3dMax, Boujou, Glu3d and FumeFx."

Panic Attack! (2009)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You're so far past gone in delusion that constructive criticism won't work on you and will be a waste of time.
Elon Musk wants to colonize Mars. I'd say that's pretty delusional, too. I'd give him pretty decent odds of accomplishing his goal, though. He's built a successful car company (first one in the US in many decades), a rocket company, a finance company. Each of those, people said he was delusional.

Why not aim high?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Elon Musk wants to colonize Mars. I'd say that's pretty delusional, too. I'd give him pretty decent odds of accomplishing his goal, though. He's built a successful car company (first one in the US in many decades), a rocket company, a finance company. Each of those, people said he was delusional.

Why not aim high?

He wanted to colonise Mars after he became a billionaire, I think if he had run around saying that beforehand, you would have been perfectly within your rights to call him delusional.

I'd like to colonise a couple of the moons of Jupiter by the way, and my net worth is considerable less than 10 trillion dollars, what do you reckon of my chances?

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014

Why not aim high?
Elon learned how to walk before running.....

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
He wanted to colonise Mars after he became a billionaire, I think if he had run around saying that beforehand, you would have been perfectly within your rights to call him delusional.

I'd like to colonise a couple of the moons of Jupiter by the way, and my net worth is considerable less than 10 trillion dollars, what do you reckon of my chances?
Thank you. Didn’t realize we need to state the obvious for some of these guys...

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
You’re attempting to climb Mt. Everest, naked, with no feet.

Just know that.

I would concentrate on a different path to wealth first and leave the global production studio as a dream/legacy goal you build towards.

I AM THE SENATE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 16, 2017
Write something someone wants to read. That's the first step and it costs you nothing. You say you have the gene? Prove it. Write a Treatment, a one sheet, and an outline. You can hire professional writers to give you feedback on your script and concept. When you have something that your writers give you positive feedback on, start looking for an agent, a lawyer and a manager. If you have family in the biz this should be easy for you. Keep writing. Make short films. Finance it yourself. Direct yourself and put together a crew. Keep writing. Send stuff to your agents. Make more films. Find people better than you to record audio, light and edit your films. Get stuff in festivals. Network. Keep writing. Make bigger independent films. Learn to get financing, learn to market yourself and your films. keep writing. sell something to a major studio. Helm a major film or tv show successfully. Start a production company. See you at the top.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015

Take the first step. Can you do the next 10000?

MichaelCash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Apr 7, 2013
New York
You can start small. Make a popular youtube channel or produce a TV show fist.
If you need more money, you can borrow them. More over you can borrow them using so called "startup" model when people give you money for growth. Look at Uber or Amazon, do you know how much money they borrowed? and they don't even plan to be profitable in the next year or so

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.