The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I think I'm getting extorted (community fees)

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Ok, so I bought a place (within an apartment building), and everything is all good with it, except one thing
Its community fees are in the range of 5-10 times higher if not more than literally any other place I've checked, I pay in two months what others pay in a year. I've done numbers on it, and between taxes, repairs etc, there is no way to get the property in the green while renting it out... Then I investigated these fees a bit more and it is absurd and surely where all the profit margin is being syphoned out...
Should I call a lawyer, or how should I go about this lunacy?
Is there any law limiting the president of the building to a certain range? And if so, how can I cut this bs off at its source.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Are community fees similar to an HOA? I believe with an HOA you can request access to the financials, can you do this with the community fees? Then you could see where it's all being spent.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Did the fees change by a radical amount since you bought the place, or did you just not identify what the fees would be before you purchased?

There's exactly zero you can do about it, other than sell it.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
You didn't know the Common Area Maintenance fee's before purchase? :jawdrop:

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Eek - sounds like a nice lesson on Control.

Sauce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 16, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Could be a special asessment? (Maybe they had a bunch of roofs go bad, maybe the pool area needed to be resurfaced, maybe the Mansard siding need to be replaced?

I own a condo with a $175 per month fee. It is a decent performer. Good thing about it is I am only responsible from the sheet rock in. Bad news, my COA Fee can get jacked at any time.

Only option is to take it up with the board or join the board. Read the disclosure and dig deep to see what the problem is. Hopefully you haven't bought this place yet or if you dead you read the disclosure?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ok, so I bought a place (within an apartment building), and everything is all good with it, except one thing
Its community fees are in the range of 5-10 times higher if not more than literally any other place I've checked, I pay in two months what others pay in a year. I've done numbers on it, and between taxes, repairs etc, there is no way to get the property in the green while renting it out... Then I investigated these fees a bit more and it is absurd and surely where all the profit margin is being syphoned out...
Should I call a lawyer, or how should I go about this lunacy?
Is there any law limiting the president of the building to a certain range? And if so, how can I cut this bs off at its source.

Your real estate agent should have informed you of these fees (I'm assuming they are HOA fees) before you purchased.

You can't compare HOAs with other buildings. It doesn't work that way.

There's nothing you can do about the fees. It's pretty much impossible to lower them. Everyone in the building pays a portion according to their unit's square footage.

Why didn't you know about these before you purchased?

Just as an example. I have a 700 sf place with $500/mo fees. There's a place nearby that is 1000sf with $5000/mo fees. It's an older building, sucks to be them!

The fees are what is required to run the building. I'm guessing you purchased in an older building, or a building that has alot of amenities.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.