What's new

I love capitalism (risk and reward) - Repost from CraigsList

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

WinWin

New Contributor
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
67
Location
WDC
Rep Bank
$290
User Power: 52%
Shown below is the content of a post from craigslist.
I love capitalism

I have worked in my field for almost three decades. About twenty years ago, I determined that I could start my own business in my field. I had the knowledge and experience, the credibility with customers, and some leadership skills. I struck out on my own with my life savings. I worked long hours pursuing business. I landed some customers, but the closure rate was about 1%. I would go on hundreds of marketing and sales calls, and would land a customer here and there. I went along for several years, made a decent living (enough to keep going), and employed a few others here and there. I learned some hard lessons about running the business that were harshly different than what I had learned as an "employee" executive. Every decision to spend or invest in an idea came out of MY pocket. That business failed after about six years. So did my marriage.

I took a job again, rekindled my savings and inflow of cash. My employer made money and I made money. When I had put away enough to get going again, I did. It took 7 years. I ventured out again, about 7 years ago. I again risked everything I had accumulated. I went full bore, 20 hour days were common (more than I would have hoped). I sit now with a business with about $30 million in annual revenue, and continuing to grow. The risk paid off (for now anyhow). I employ upwards of 150 well compensated professionals. It came with a price in terms of my health and ability to enjoy life. But that's what it takes. I am comfortable enough to go the rest of my life now. I still am the first one in the office and the last one to leave 4 of 5 days per week (I take frequent three day weekends now).

Each of my employees has the capacity to do the same thing I did. Maybe one day one of them will. They seem more content to make their six figures without risking any of it to make more. Fine by me. I never was and am not now comfortable as an employee. I did it out of necessity, but climbing a corporate ladder always seemed rife with dishonesty and sucking up to the wrong people. People I didn't really care for.

The excitement of taking a risk, of putting yourself and your wealth on the line and giving it your all to be what you can seems lost these days. I didn't climb a corporate ladder, I created one. Most of my people have more impressive credentials and resumes than I do, but they have no balls. They would rather be a vice president for me, than risk their cushy existence and create something for themselves.

When I hear people clamoring for jobs...when I hear the government talking about creating jobs...I often wonder where our spirit has gone. Then I go to the dry cleaner, and I see a humble guy running his little business and I am heartened. Americans of all races, backgrounds and religions continue to strike out on their own to make their own future. Some make it, some don't. But those of us who do this by choice are the engine of our economy, not the resume readers. Keep that in mind as this President and Congress move forward. Every policy move they make to harm small business is one less Microsoft or Apple in the making. Perhaps that is the objective. Resumes are a crock of shit. A bunch of "I did this, I did that". I have seen thousands of them and would guess that maybe a handful weren't grossly overstated. Your resume becomes irrelevant and must be proven daily when you take your capital, apply it with no guarantees, and see what you can truly do (not profess to have done).

Every one of you looking for a job are totally reliant on the vitality of people just like me. Remember that as more and more obstacles and taxes are levied on small business. We make it all happen. When your vote harms us, it harms yourself. WE are the economy.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Cioph ep ipvsiqsipias ot e jimm ug e muv nusi opvisitvoph vjep cioph ep inqmuzii.

Gostv ug emm, catopitt ot emm ecuav onehopevoup dunoph siem.
Tidupf ug emm, catopitt jet pu monovt nusi vjep vji updi xi xepv vu onquti up ov.

Onehopevoup ot nadj nusi sixesfif op catopitt vjep op ep inqmuzinipv tovaevoup.

Epf zit, xjip zua jasv AT, zua siemmz jasv ZUASTIMGT vji nutv. Og xi esi gadlif, vjip zua esi vuvemmz gadlif. Xovjuav vji podi emmuxepdi, xi howi zua, zua esi puvjoph. Eddiqv ov us kuop at.

PUVI: Vjev ot xjz O fup'v cimoiwi op fuoph iwiszvjoph zuas inqmuziit xepv zua vu fu. Og zua jewi e dunqepz epf zua qez vjiti hazt nupiz, vjip vjiz tjuamf fu iyedvmz xjev zua xepv vjin vu fu, us vjiz dep hiv vji jimm uav. Nz xez us vji johjxez. Qsivvz ietz tvagg vu apfistvepf. Vjiti fezt zua nusi us mitt piif vu lott vji inqmuziit ettit. Xjev e kuli.
 
Vjot upi tmoqqif vjsuahj vji dsedlt...


20 juas fezt vji eavjus dmeont tiin duapvisqsufadvowi epf op nz deti xuamf raodlmz mief ni vu mux qsufadvowovz epf iwipvaemmz piswuat csielfuxp cav ov xet e huuf sief.
 
Podi gopf epf zit, 20 juas fezt? Ev tuni quopv, uas ipvsiqsipias piift vu sidmeon jot voni!

(CVX: Vjsief nuwif uav ug pixt vu e nusi wotocmi mudevoup)
 
O'n emxezt enebif nztimg. O tvomm xusl gus e meshi OV dunqepz, cav juqigammz puv gus nepz nusi ziest. Ev vjot dunqepz, O xusl emuph tofi tuni ug vji csohjvitv qiuqmi op vji OV goimf - qiuqmi xju fup'v efuqv oppuwevoup, cav dsievi ov; qiuqmi xju jewi nusi edsupznt egvis vjios peni vjep vjiz jewi mivvist op vjios peni; qiuqmi xjuti uggodi xemmt esi duwisif cz edjoiwinipv epf qevipv siduhpovoup exesft.

Ziv xjip O hu vu xusl iwiszfez, O en sinopfif ug upi ucwouat evvsocavi xi tjesi ...

Xi esi emm inqmuziit - xi emm xusl gus gus tuniupi imti.

Op e xez ov csopht mogi opvu civvis gudat. Zit, tuni ug vjiti qiuqmi neli aqxesft ug $200l us nusi fuoph xjev vjiz fu, cav vjiz tvomm jewi vu hiv aq op vji nuspoph (moli ni), cevvmi vseggod (moli ni), eptxis vu e cutt (moli ni), veli xjev emmuvvif voni vjiz esi howip gus wedevoup (moli ni), epf tu up (katv moli ni). Ep inqmuzii (katv moli ni).

Vidjpodemmz, nepz esi hipoatit. Cav ov huit vu tjux vjev cioph opvimmohipv ot ges foggisipv vjep cioph tnesv.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom