The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Charity idea worth pursuing? (repost from half-idea thread)

Idea threads

hasagim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 11, 2022
I was shopping at a local grocery store with my girlfriend when we got those "would you like to donate" popups at the checkout. I wanted to help out because it seemed like the popup was for a good cause when my girlfriend stopped me, saying stuff like "that money never actually goes to the charity and instead the grocery store."

This really stuck with me as it made me more compelled to donate to a charity simply because I wanted to support even the smallest amount to a cause I really care about. I believe that there are many also like me who want to support a good cause every so often but find it a little inconvenient to go out of their way to.

I've been sitting on this idea for a little bit and would like someone's advice on whether or not it would be good.

An awareness app that alerts you of good causes around the world to support everytime you make a purchase. Much like the alerts you get at a grocery store that tell you to donate to their fund but more mobile and the money actually goes to the good cause.

For example, let's say Suzy bought a coffee from starbucks.

The app would notify provide the following message through her notifications:

Hey [Suzy], your [$6.13] purchase from [Starbucks] has gone through.

According to Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), about 1,000 sea turtles die annually from digesting plastic.

Would you like to round up 87 cents towards the TeamSeas ocean clean up campaign?

Suzy, now more aware of the problems surrounding the world around her, is more likely to click on the notification and donate 87 cents towards the campaign.

With more and more payment methods designed around our phones like apple pay and banking apps, privacy issues would not pose too much of a problem.

As an additional bonus, increased consumerism is taking over the world. This may help people be more aware of their purchasing habits. I haven't looked into it but I think a yearly total of money donated could go in as a tax write-off??

From a business standpoint, I'm unsure of how one would profit off of an app like this.
I understand that the app acorns kind of does the same thing but invests the money in the stock market and charges a subscription fee, but to be honest I'm not looking at the idea from a pure profit standpoint. In The Great Rat Race Escape , MJ mentions the "billionaire thought experiment" as a way to find a purpose, and I feel like creating an app like this is something I would do purely because I think it'll benefit the world.

At the same time, I'm still struggling to get out of mediocrity and start providing value and making money and wonder if I should try to focus on an idea that would first get me past the slowlane.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I like the idea and think there is something there, not sure on the execution.

However...

At the same time, I'm still struggling to get out of mediocrity and start providing value and making money and wonder if I should try to focus on an idea that would first get me past the slowlane.

I think this is your challenge.

You've described a pretty big type type of problem, an app project that would be seriously complicated and require likely dozens of people.

You should first get some WINS under your belt, small wins, that can grow into bigger WINS.

You can't change the world until you learn how to change yourself first.

Damien Boss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jul 12, 2020
France
I was shopping at a local grocery store with my girlfriend when we got those "would you like to donate" popups at the checkout. I wanted to help out because it seemed like the popup was for a good cause when my girlfriend stopped me, saying stuff like "that money never actually goes to the charity and instead the grocery store."

This really stuck with me as it made me more compelled to donate to a charity simply because I wanted to support even the smallest amount to a cause I really care about. I believe that there are many also like me who want to support a good cause every so often but find it a little inconvenient to go out of their way to.

I've been sitting on this idea for a little bit and would like someone's advice on whether or not it would be good.

An awareness app that alerts you of good causes around the world to support everytime you make a purchase. Much like the alerts you get at a grocery store that tell you to donate to their fund but more mobile and the money actually goes to the good cause.

For example, let's say Suzy bought a coffee from starbucks.

The app would notify provide the following message through her notifications:

Hey [Suzy], your [$6.13] purchase from [Starbucks] has gone through.

According to Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), about 1,000 sea turtles die annually from digesting plastic.

Would you like to round up 87 cents towards the TeamSeas ocean clean up campaign?

I think your idea is awesome.
I'm a software dev and I build apps for a living. The app you want to build will need several services linked to it. And will have to be very compliant with the laws outlined by financial institutions. I know an app that monitor's your spending and that connects to banking APIs to track spending habits etc... The best they could do was something that could listen to your spending, but "Not" in real-time, and they regularly request re-authentication to your bank account.
You'd definitely need several services to work together for you to implement this. The problem you're trying to solve is real, but why not think of a more feasible solution?

hasagim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 11, 2022
I think your idea is awesome.
I'm a software dev and I build apps for a living. The app you want to build will need several services linked to it. And will have to be very compliant with the laws outlined by financial institutions. I know an app that monitor's your spending and that connects to banking APIs to track spending habits etc... The best they could do was something that could listen to your spending, but "Not" in real-time, and they regularly request re-authentication to your bank account.
You'd definitely need several services to work together for you to implement this. The problem you're trying to solve is real, but why not think of a more feasible solution?
I see. Thank you so much for your input. I'm currently studying Computer Science in college and didn't think linking bank accounts would pose that much of a problem as many rising apps such as TrueBill and Acorns already does it. I'll put some thought into other methods of providing value.

I also need to figure out how the hell to start creating an app.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hasagim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 11, 2022
I like the idea and think there is something there, not sure on the execution.

However...

I think this is your challenge.

You've described a pretty big type type of problem, an app project that would be seriously complicated and require likely dozens of people.

You should first get some WINS under your belt, small wins, that can grow into bigger WINS.

You can't change the world until you learn how to change yourself first.
Small wins that can grow into bigger wins.

Would an example of this be getting into the market?

Like mowing lawns and learning skills?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.