The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I loaned my friend the Millionaire Fastlane, this is how he returned it

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI

I asked him why he covered the book in a Trader Joe's paper bag.
He said, "Dude the title of the book was so inflammatory to my wife and friends that I had to cover it in order to read it without getting involved in a controversy."

I like it. I'm keeping the cover.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Dude the title of the book was so inflammatory to my wife and friends

I don't get it, what makes it inflammatory? Should I have put F*ck in the title like everyone does nowadays? Would that have made it less inflammatory?

TMF might sound cheezy to a random person, but it's not as if the title was "You're a LOSER and it's YOUR fault!" Now that's inflammatory.

My guess is if someone is worked up about a title and concerned about what others might think about it, they don't have the nuts to be an entrepreneur. Did he finish the book? Find value in it?

In any event, thanks for sharing it!

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I don't know why it's inflammatory. @MJ DeMarco I can tell you that when I read it I literally felt the energy coming off of your writing. It was black and white, energetic, in-your-face, and unapologetically truthful and blunt. I've heard you on podcasts talking about that title, and I completely get it, but to the uninitiated, it sets off the BS detector. People are skeptical by nature and they are uncomfortable to even hear me explain what the book is really about.

TRUTH: I only bought your book because I was was buying a book on Warren Buffet and your book was
recommended on Amazon and it had a ton of great reviews. Glad I did.

As for my friend, he got a lot of value from it and wouldn't stop talking about it. I am still waiting for him to take ACTION.

I just re-read parts of it, which got me working on a new project that addresses a real need, so I'm thankful.

And I will continue to keep the cover on it and pass it around.
Today I am giving it to my Lyft driver who tried to sell me Amway a couple weeks ago. That's another story.

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't get it, what makes it inflammatory?

Maybe because if you don't read it to know what the fastlane means, the title out of context makes them assume it's just guru get rich stuff? Or just another entrepreneurship book in which case let people read what they want

That's the only guess I have, other than that people are always going to offer unsolicited opinion anyway... I had an old man tell me the finance section "wasn't for a pretty lady like me" at a Starbucks a few years ago. I only forgave him because he indeed looked very old, like 70+.

And you're right so many books have F*ck in their title nowadays! lOoK aT mE i sWeAr

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Lot of hate out there right now for creators / business owners.......

I sketched out the P&L for a 'robotics company' with my lab students the other night .... as we talked through costs, suddenly they wanted to farm stuff out to VA's in the Philipines and use one of the kid's parent's basement as office space. Did not want to provide health insurance for staff and did not like taxes / depreciation schedules on equipment.

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
It's kind of like Felix Dennis' How to Get Rich. It sounds like one of those get rich quick easy, MLM, shortcut books when yours and Dennis' are the complete opposite. I usually explain it to friends as such. Don't see a big deal with it

This is the covers of one of my favorite fiction books28507

Found a copy of it at a used bookstore with the cover torn off and had another friend call it creepy.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I think, I can tell you why.
When someone in a wifes environment reads a book about how to fly away from that environment, it immediately implements, that the man is not satisfied with his life and that its the foult of the wife.

Have happy day!

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
@Ing People really start to read into your intentions and your situation when you are reading self-development books. Here is a great quote I read the other day from Jordan Peterson:

“You know, academic and intellectual types, they find it entertaining to be supercilious about self-help books, but . . . people are reading those damn books. First of all they’re reading . . . Second, it’s nonfiction. Third, it’s conceptual and it’s aimed at moral improvement. It’s like, what the hell’s wrong with self-help books? Whether something’s useful to you depends on where you’re situated . . . and people pick the self-help book that’s in their zone of proximal development.”

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
When someone in a wifes environment reads a book about how to fly away from that environment, it immediately implements, that the man is not satisfied with his life and that its the foult of the wife.

Have happy day!
roasted!

I would say that reading a book that says, "the way you've been living is scripted, and it sucks, and you can do better" challenges a lot of people to look deeper at their life choices, and that makes them uncomfortable. Instead of looking inward, or investigating MJ's premise, it is much easier to criticize, condemn, or completely dismiss it altogether.

What a mistake.

GB81

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 17, 2019
Uk
Putting the cover aside I think someone needs to be ready to read TMF /Unscripted . I have friends who really need to get out but I don't think they'd appreciate what it's saying. I think someone needs to show an interest in self-development and read some other books before going for TMF /Unscripted . I think it could be too much too soon for some.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015

Have happy day!
It's funny. My now wife introduced me to Rich Dad Poor Dad, and we read Think and Grow Rich together. She hasn't read either of MJ's books yet, but she uh-huh's whenever I mention his name as though he was someone we went to high school with.

So, I think she's either right there with me, or she stopped listening to my ramblings years ago. :D

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
My wife started listening to TMF on Audible a week or so ago..

...a dream come true, right?

But she's become surprisingly... annoying.

"When are you going to do something Fastlane? Is what you're doing scalable?"

It won't stop. LOL.

Just this morning I had to forward her the enterprise/lifestyle post by Ravens_Shadow and told her to look at the second post - "See, MJ approves of lifestyle businesses!"

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
I don't get it, what makes it inflammatory? Should I have put F*ck in the title like everyone does nowadays? Would that have made it less inflammatory?

TMF might sound cheezy to a random person, but it's not as if the title was "You're a LOSER and it's YOUR fault!" Now that's inflammatory.

My guess is if someone is worked up about a title and concerned about what others might think about it, they don't have the nuts to be an entrepreneur. Did he finish the book? Find value in it?

In any event, thanks for sharing it!
My guess is that they would have been fine with the F*ck in the title but rather it looks capitalistic. LOL I think a divorce is in the future. LOL

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

Have happy day!
When you're the crab climbing outta the pot, the other crabs ain't gonna let you go without a fight.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

I think I get it, it's because in certain social circles (mine included), openly admitting that you want to be a millionaire and actually trying to do something about it, is demonised.

If I quote the book and then mention the title to certain friends, I notice a split second wince. A few friends questioned me on the morals of actively pursuing becoming a millionaire, and I happily answered them and assuaged their fears that I was becoming a capitalist monster that would inevitably eat their children.

At the end of the day, it's why I'm here, after reading the book I needed to be surrounded by a community of like minded people, because I hardly knew anyone in my social circle with the fastlane mindset.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
There is such a disdain for powerful optimism, growth and ambition. I never understand this.
It sounds so crappy to people when I say it, but I don’t want to listen to poor people talk about how to have a shitty life. I already know how to be broke. I listen to/read successful people discussing their journeys because that’s what I want. I want to improve!
Some people also identify as employees, impoverished, poor me, etc. I refuse! My identity is NOT my current occupation or tax bracket! I’m not a mechanic. I work as a mechanic. I could go on, but I think it just gets repetitive.
Dont be afraid to be the best you can. Some folks want you to stay poor so you can be friends. As if your income changes your taste in music or ability to watch football.
The same think happened when I stopped drinking in my early twenties. I had friends object to my abstinence because they were losing a drinking buddy. It didn’t matter I was broke, THEY were losing something! Some of them are still my friends, and have learned that our love for jamming out some tunes was bigger than sharing some beer. The others? I don’t know where they are.

Ganglion

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 21, 2018
United Kingdom
Totally agree with Roli. We're not supposed to want to be millionaires. It's looked down upon by all the poor people who don't have millions. It's a defense mechanism that lets them believe that they could be millionaires if they wanted to, but they're not millionaires because wanting to become one is beneath them.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
My wife started listening to TMF on Audible a week or so ago..

...a dream come true, right?

But she's become surprisingly... annoying.

"When are you going to do something Fastlane? Is what you're doing scalable?"

It won't stop. LOL.

Just this morning I had to forward her the enterprise/lifestyle post by Ravens_Shadow and told her to look at the second post - "See, MJ approves of lifestyle businesses!"

ahaha that's great! Behind every powerful man there's...

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
My guess is that they would have been fine with the F*ck in the title but rather it looks capitalistic. LOL I think a divorce is in the future. LOL

It certainly is a red-flag.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
View attachment 28505

I asked him why he covered the book in a Trader Joe's paper bag.
He said, "Dude the title of the book was so inflammatory to my wife and friends that I had to cover it in order to read it without getting involved in a controversy."

I like it. I'm keeping the cover.

Like Atlas Shrugged, the rich or people who look to aspire to be wealthy are looked down upon. It's a taste of what's to come in the next year of politics.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I’ve shown my close friends and family TMF. I tell them that it’s it’s the best business book out there that shows you actually what you need to do to build a successful business that generates wealth. They all think it’s really cool, and want to read it.

The problem is, they say they’ll read it and never actually do...

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
He is afraid of other people opinion? Side walker mentality.

Maybe, or maybe he doesn't want to waste his time talking to people with sidewalk mentality. It's much easier to remain invisible while growing and transforming yourself through positive action.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
There is such a disdain for powerful optimism, growth and ambition. I never understand this.
It sounds so crappy to people when I say it, but I don’t want to listen to poor people talk about how to have a shitty life. I already know how to be broke. I listen to/read successful people discussing their journeys because that’s what I want. I want to improve!
Some people also identify as employees, impoverished, poor me, etc. I refuse! My identity is NOT my current occupation or tax bracket! I’m not a mechanic. I work as a mechanic. I could go on, but I think it just gets repetitive.
Dont be afraid to be the best you can. Some folks want you to stay poor so you can be friends. As if your income changes your taste in music or ability to watch football.
The same think happened when I stopped drinking in my early twenties. I had friends object to my abstinence because they were losing a drinking buddy. It didn’t matter I was broke, THEY were losing something! Some of them are still my friends, and have learned that our love for jamming out some tunes was bigger than sharing some beer. The others? I don’t know where they are.

THIS is why I come to the Fastlane Forum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.