The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Having trouble making my business name unique

Feedback

DHunter30

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Apr 6, 2024
So, basically I’m starting up my own data recovery and computer repair business but I want it to speak to everyone from all ages. So essentially I want the name to begin with "Data" and I’ve went through so many variations of the business name to make it unique and every time I check to see if the name has already been used for someone else’s business it seem to have been taken!

I really don’t want it to be something simple like "DataDoc" or "Data Recovery" and I’m having real trouble with making it unique, anyone got any advice?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
I want the name to begin with "Data"
It does not need to begin with the word 'Data' or even contain this word. What matters is if people can understand (associate name with what the business does), spell and remember the name. Also good if you get the .com domain.

For making it unique, you can add your own name (first or last name), or a fictional/historical name (from a book for example.) This will make the name quite long, like 'Hunter's Data Recovery', at which point you can compound the words into something shorter like: 'Hunter's DataRec' or 'HT Data Recovery', 'HT Data-Saviour', 'Hunter Data Help' or some phrase like 'Save-My-Data'. You can replace 'Data' with similar words like 'Info', 'IT', 'System', 'Program', 'Computer' etc.

Some people add pointless words like 'Active', 'Expert', 'Official', 'Quick' etc. but this does not create a serious impression.

Check if the name's abbreviation sounds OK. Not offensive or similar to large organizations.

It's good if the name is memorable. If your business is called 'Data Recovery' there is nothing unique about it, and the brand will be extremely bland. Try to have one memorable element in the name and logo. If there is 'Hunter' in the name, make the logo contain a hunter's crosshair. This creates a strong association between name and brand, even if it has nothing to do with data. This speaks to all ages, and will make anyone able to relate.

You could add a regional name (city or state), or save this in case you plan to eventually start a franchise in a new location.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
I feel like you have the perfect name right in front of you. Is your name Hunter? Data Hunter or Data Hunt sound perfect for a data recovery business.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Context is king.

You will be getting customers from your google business listing right?

Or how will you be getting customers?

Go look at other industries and see which ones show up on the google business listings first and which ones catch your eye and how they do it. Which ones seem the best?

You need to be able to say it and people clearly hear it and spell it out when they look for it online.

It can highlight what makes you different in the name so someone can see the unique selling proposition a mile away.

For example, can you guess what rentmidgetsusa.com is? When you type that in and press enter, prepare to be the least surprised person of all time. It's exactly what it says it is.

Have some empathy for what problem your customer is having and how they will be thinking when looking to solve the problem.

Maybe call the company "OOPS Computer Repair and Data Recovery - Seattle" or wherever you're located. Then your domain is just oopscomputer.com

People don't know much about data recovery, but they know what oops is.

Just my $0.02.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
What do people care about when they want data recovery?

Probably a professional, someone reliable, safe, not going to F*ck it up and lose everything forever, not going to go through all their data and be nosey

Reliable Data Recovery
Data Recovery Professionals
Professional Data Recovery
Secure Data Recovery

What says reliable and professional? Been in business a long time.

Century Data Recovery

What says trustworthy and reliable and professional? Putting your name to it, having a business partner

Stratton Oakmont Data Recovery

Or just go local if your only a local business, people trust a local business

New York City Data Recovery

No need to get cute with a business like this, if anything that would hurt you

If you want to do computer repairs as well I’d have 2 business names, 2 websites, and operate out of the same shop. Just the same name but with computer repairs instead of data recovery.

DHunter30

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Apr 6, 2024
Context is king.

You will be getting customers from your google business listing right?

Or how will you be getting customers?

Go look at other industries and see which ones show up on the google business listings first and which ones catch your eye and how they do it. Which ones seem the best?

You need to be able to say it and people clearly hear it and spell it out when they look for it online.

It can highlight what makes you different in the name so someone can see the unique selling proposition a mile away.

For example, can you guess what rentmidgetsusa.com is? When you type that in and press enter, prepare to be the least surprised person of all time. It's exactly what it says it is.

Have some empathy for what problem your customer is having and how they will be thinking when looking to solve the problem.

Maybe call the company "OOPS Computer Repair and Data Recovery - Seattle" or wherever you're located. Then your domain is just oopscomputer.com

People don't know much about data recovery, but they know what oops is.

Just my $0.02.
First of all thanks to everyone pitching in and giving advice, love all the help guys! So yea I’ll be getting customers from Facebook, Google listed business, leaflets and local pin boards. Thing is I have very little competition where I am for this sort of thing hence why it’s a profitable idea but the only competition I have is a shop called "Emerald Computers" but the guy has made his customer base through longevity and has a decent amount of loyal customers.

The only reason I feel I can compete now is because he closed down his shop and works out of his house now and I feel that’s gave me an opportunity to compete working from home providing I give a better service, so I’ll be trying to pull out all the stops on this and get it right, hence the overthinking of the name.

LukeB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 9, 2024
So, basically I’m starting up my own data recovery and computer repair business but I want it to speak to everyone from all ages. So essentially I want the name to begin with "Data" and I’ve went through so many variations of the business name to make it unique and every time I check to see if the name has already been used for someone else’s business it seem to have been taken!

I really don’t want it to be something simple like "DataDoc" or "Data Recovery" and I’m having real trouble with making it unique, anyone got any advice?

Thanks
I've found Post-It notes on a wall or whiteboard are perfect for this. On one side (preferably one colour), write all the "What" or technical synonyms, then on the other side of the board (a different colour) write all the outcome/emotional synonyms you can think of (clear, clarity, quick, wizard, etc).

You can then physically pick up random post-its and see how it feels, reverse the order, try combining the two words into one.

The golden rules for naming (not must have though):
  • Two syllables
  • It's written how it sounds
  • It's spoken like it's written
It is hard these days, but keep at it and you'll find something that works.

Also keep in mind that if it's a startup, there's a VERY big chance your business and/or customers won't be what it is now in a few years, and you'll probably want to rebrand, so don't let it stop you from moving forward.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
I stick to the "new-age naming convention" of short, rememorable, etc. I also don't like pigeonholing myself.

"Data Recovery blah, blah, blah" is direct and to the point. But, imo, inherently limits you.

I'd personally go with something like "Data Services blah, blah, blah" as it leaves the door open for expanding into something like data analytics, and other computer stuff (which you're already doing).

Also, don't fret over naming, tbh. Everyone says make it short and memorable. That does help, but if it's the only thing that pops up on Google, they'll eventually get it.

My main business name has 10 characters, and I occasionally still have to sound it out to remember how to spell it. Yet, not a single one of my clients seems to struggle remembering it, and when you google us, we're the only result after the initial ~5 characters.

Cheers.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 26, 2023
Apple is a word that has nothing to do with electronics.

It's eventually the quality of your products/services and how you sell them!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.