The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have no unique selling point aside from being the first to market - will I get crushed by a major

Sober

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 25, 2013
Canada
I'm entering a sub-niche inside of a major industry that I believe to have potential. My research has proven there is a considerable audience for this type of products/information.

However, aside from creating a quality product that is significantly better than what's currently available, and being the first to market to cover this topic so comprehensively... I have no unique selling point.

This worries me. There are major companies who are already covering red widgets, but nobody is paying any attention to blue widgets at all, despite there being audience only interested in blue widgets,

What measures can I implement to protect myself? How can I maximize my advantage for being the first to market?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Your USP is your story, branding, and positioning.

If all you do is come out and say "I have blue widgets" you'll make a quick buck then get eaten alive.

If you come out and tell a great story about your blue widgets and why they are so amazing then you'll create your own category and have a good chance against the bigger players.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Your USP is your story, branding, and positioning.

If you come out and tell a great story about your blue widgets and why they are so amazing then you'll create your own category and have a good chance against the bigger players.

Yes, move beyond a unique selling position to a unique story position.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
if you are first to market wouldn't all selling points be unique?

Temporarily. That is until he garners the attention of the big boys who can make the improvements he has.

Ronsard

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 10, 2014
Pretoria, South Africa
I have had the hiding of my life in exactly this way. I trade commodities and consumables in Africa and launched a producer into a country, after which the much bigger competitor came in and ran away with all my hard work. Because of financial constraints and my size I was not in a position to negotiate exclusivity and still put in a huge amount of work and the brand on the map in that country and was still sidelined. It happens. How can I protect myself from this happening over.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ronsard

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 10, 2014
Pretoria, South Africa
I think a part of your usp is the better quality you offer. If you feel that that is not enough then see if you have more to offer for example if you are logistically 20% faster than competitors etc. and then in your pitch create a larger percentage of a whole and that can be a more presentable usp.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.