The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I finally talked to the guy in the Porsche. Please do it too.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships
G

GuestUserX09

He pulls up to Starbucks in a fairly new Porsche 911 late this afternoon, convertible isn't really my thing but hey, I don't pay his bills.

As a huge car enthusiast I have to gawk at it a bit out of instinct. A man gets out, he's on the phone, headphones in ears. Gary Vee style.

As normal with any similar instance, I look at his car, then show a appreciative smile at him/her. Thoughts in my head always wondering how they got where they are and what they could teach me.

Unfortunately, I'm always a bit introverted and shy and talking to a stranger would be terrifying. Unimaginably worse if they happen to be driving one of my dream cars.

I'm never hanging out with friends this long but I hang around with them long after finishing my frappucino, interested by this guy who was now pacing the parking lot still on his phone.

He had taken multiple calls and sounded a bit frustrated at times, big buzz business words kept catching my ear. He definitely knew a thing or two about this whole "making money" thing.

After a few hours, he heads out. I'm sitting outside with my friends by the parking space occupied by the Porsche. He looks at us and jokes about the weather.

Just as heart-racing as I am approaching a girl at the bar, I approached him, asking for a minute of his time to talk about my new software business. He obliged.

In short. He gave me some advice so useful that I still cannot wrap my head around. Just like that! In under 60 seconds! It was like magic. Of course, I instantly connected with him on LinkedIn before writing this post. My game was changed in just 60 terrifying seconds. I'm shaking with excitement at the insight this simple interaction provided.

TL;DR - If that guy or gal rolls up in the fancy luxury/supercar and he strolls by not particularly in a hurry, talk to him/her. I don't feel exclamation points even get this point across. Take my lack thereof as a sign of how serious I am. I prefaced our conversation with 15 seconds of my entrepreneurial failures in the past, then went straight on to ask for some advice. What a miraculous thing, the amount of insight that I didn't have just 60 seconds prior. Talk to them. I don't care how nervous you are. Do it, just 60 seconds. You literally have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Just talk to them.

It strikes me now as the moment @MJ DeMarco saw that Lamborghini Countach. Maybe that story inspired my actions today. Let me know... did you talk to the guy in the Porsche? What happened when you did it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Well whatd he say?

G

GuestUserX09

Well whatd he say?
@350z

lol sorry. He said to give it away for free.

- Instead of selling 1 by 1 subscriptions.
- Instead of selling contracts to businesses for their clients.

To give it away for free, the free promo value will pay us back in multiples down the road.

So simple. But, something that had not crossed my mind. We made our first pitch today and were dead set on selling this thing for contracts with businesses for their clients. We've aimed for 100+ pitches by the end of the year. I imagine we'll do much better long-term by offering it for free now to the businesses that we were previously planning on selling it to.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
@Square1Hype Nice move! Infact it makes a lot of sense to give it for free. But you should be careful about something.

Remember I told you about Purple Cow? This is from the same book.

You should get people who are early adopters. You need to get people who will use your product because they love tinkering with new stuff, not because they got something free. People who want to give feedback and even talk about your product - "Bro, I joined this new cool website. Its in its early stages and the developer is super cool, he makes changes in the website whenever I give him ideas". Something like that.

You know what? Maybe you want to check out my notes from the purple cow - https://www.evernote.com/shard/s697...f966e140dd48/f6f46321b42187a78aa04827ad3ad12f

Its going to help people out.

G

GuestUserX09

@Square1Hype
You know what? Maybe you want to check out my notes from the purple cow

These notes are clutch. Thanks a lot, I'm going to review them today, definitely adjusting my strategy in this sense. Thanks!

Just to add, we're giving it free to businesses only and then will make money from the individuals who hear about it through the organizations.

Last edited by a moderator:

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
This is my plan too , sadly my guy i always see in the yellow lambo hasnt been around in months. I plan to talk to him the next time i see him tho

G

GuestUserX09

sadly my guy i always see in the yellow lambo hasnt been around in months.
Yeah well ideally I would have talked to this guy I see in a baby blue 458 Ferrari around but I mean in general, talk to anyone who seems to know a thing or two if it strikes you. Doesn't have to be that very one. Curious to see what others find through their random chat ups.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Haha, can totally relate to that heart-racing feeling you described. 2 weeks ago I participated in a supercar tour; talking to some other owners (me and a friend joined in a Maserati GranTurismo S) still made me slightly anxious, though knowing what to talk about makes it so much easier. (this also counts with girls, at least for me).
Most people enjoy talking about what they're passionate about.
Working with my friend and his dad, a multi millionaire real-estate investor/developer and car dealer, still makes me nervous every now and then. So much to learn.
From what I've noticed; people usually don't mind giving out some advice as long as they're not busy. Just don't ask the "dumb" questions (what job do I need to afford that etc lol). They will know if you know what you're talking about and how in depth the talk/advice can go. I've noticed this for myself with fitness and diet. (I won't respond to the question if I eat bread, but I'll happily engage in talks with someone who asks me about my macros)

Giving stuff away for free reminds me of James Altucher (choose yourself books) and how he mentions giving away idea's to people and businesses. Essentially it comes down to helping other people, I suppose.
As long as you're not being taken advantage of.

G

GuestUserX09

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, the only thing I knew was not to ask a dumb question but to ask something general but still strategic and shows that I would plan to consider implementing whatever he said. And, I love the James Altucher 'Choose Yourself'.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
What about the Bill Gates and Warren Buffets who don't look rich but actually are? Any way to spot them? :p

G

GuestUserX09

Any way to spot them? :p

Id say just to save time. I'm only going to approach people who I can make a quick judgement of having more wealth than the majority. I.e. 100k+ car, 10k+ watch, etc.

I know it's very shallow but those would be my quick assumptions to know I need to make a quick intro in the future. Will probably miss out of the billionaire sweatshirt types :watching:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
What about the Bill Gates and Warren Buffets who don't look rich but actually are? Any way to spot them? :p

You could go to areas and places they are likely to go to

SmittyMcdougal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Aug 29, 2015
In my early days as a business sales person, we would target Buy Here Pay Here car dealers regarding GPS tracking. It was a very difficult "in" if you will and we discovered that unless these guys had a handful of units to test, it wasn't likely we would win them over the competition. Long story short, our knowingly superior product destroyed the competition after demoing 10 units to one dealership. Ended up owning the entire market from the one customers testimonial.

Free shit wins, who ever took over my old space is enjoying a hefty bonus every quarter :)

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
though knowing what to talk about makes it so much easier. (this also counts with girls, at least for me).

Just be honest, as for approaching girls. It's a bold move to make yourself vulnerable. Most people appreciate it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.