The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I feel as if I'm not going forward

Anything related to matters of the mind

Eddie M Harmon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 2, 2023
Hello, everyone! My name is Eddie Harmon, and I'm 19 years old. My highest level of education is a high school diploma. I work as a self-employed carpenter and arborist, often assisting my stepdad with carpentry projects. Additionally, I have experience in web development and software development. I consider myself a versatile individual, capable of various tasks. I take pride in my ability to build decks, repair roofs, handle plumbing and electrical work, fell trees, fix phone screens, create full-fledged websites from design to code, and develop software. I can also explain anything about computers. However, despite these skills, I often feel uncertain about my path.

Now, let me share a bit of my story. I began working at 17 as a bag boy, my first real job outside of helping my dad with carpentry. Initially, I disliked working, earning only $7.50 per hour. After about three months, I moved to a different job with a local screen printing company that offered me $9 per hour. Unfortunately, the hours were irregular, and I ended up making about the same amount with fewer hours. I won't go into detail, but it was a tough experience.

I eventually moved to a different state in pursuit of a better job, though I had to stay with family temporarily, which was challenging. I started working for FedEx as a package handler, earning around $20 per hour on the night shift. This job was incredibly tough and changed my perspective on my previous roles. During this time, I achieved independence, owning a car and a small studio apartment.

Regarding my car, I hadn't mentioned earlier that I had an unreliable '97 Pathfinder. I ended up buying a new car for $15,000, but the interest rates over 84 months made the monthly payments ridiculous, at $400. On the drive home, the check engine light came on, which was disheartening. The repair cost was $1,200, and I had to seek assistance from family. Unfortunately, my time at FedEx was short-lived, as I fell asleep on the interstate after a nine-hour night shift and collided with a FedEx truck. This event forced me to move back in with my parents, as I could no longer commute 45 minutes to work. I broke my lease on my cozy studio apartment, which was costing me $730 a month for a small space that didn't even include utilities.

At that low point, I felt hopeless, having lost everything I had achieved. However, I eventually saved enough money to buy a more reliable vehicle for $1,200, which turned out to be more dependable than the $15,000 car I had before.

In short, I now rent my own place in my hometown and am much happier. Two blessings came out of the car crash: no one was hurt, and I didn't lose my life, and I no longer had to engage in physically demanding work, loading countless boxes into trailers every night.

Today, I'm self-employed, working in carpentry and tree cutting, occasionally assisting my stepdad. While I don't earn as much as I'd like, I'm not passionate about the work and worry about its long-term impact on my body. Despite my diverse skills, I struggle to make my entrepreneurial ventures succeed, whether it's drop-shipping websites, designing websites for clients, creating logos, or other projects. I'm tired of feeling like nothing is working out, and I'm eager to find a way to make decent money without jeopardizing my physical well-being. Whether it's starting a small contracting company or diving into e-commerce, I'm challenged by the need for initial investment, like when I tried running ads on Instagram with a $30 budget for my drop-shipping websites, sadly without achieving any sales. All I am doing is asking for tips and advice. The struggle is real but I feel like I too the point where I can actually change my life or something has to give in cause it feels like I've been on this hussle for way too long and I have a deep thought in my head to just stop it all and go back to a regular job.

Edit: Additionally, I feel a strong desire to generate substantial income rapidly so that I can savor life to the fullest. I've witnessed my stepdad toil until retirement age, and I'm determined not to follow that path. If I could achieve financial success before his retirement, I would cherish the opportunity to express my gratitude to my family.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Alright Eddie let’s break it down.

You are in the same spot as almost every young first time business attempter:

You are doing it poorly, giving sporadic random effort, lacking creativity, and at low volume.

Just like how we all start.

Imagine two men trying to break down a wall.

One has a hammer.

The other has a 50 Ton caterpillar 345CL.

IMG_3580.jpeg

Hammer boy is F*cked.

You have been using a hammer to do things, it’s no wonder you are losing the game.

Let’s look at everything you’ve done:

Low skill job
Low skill job
Low skill job
Medium skill labor self employment, no employees doing the work, no unique selling benefits, probably poor customer acquisition, not a lot of money.
Copycat half assed dropshipping, building some websites.

You have ZERO leverage. You only get paid for when you work.

How do you acquire customers? You tried droppshipping and ran some shit ads with $30 and are surprised you got no sales???

If that was all it took then I would’ve done it years ago, tried 5000x harder, and would’ve been a trillionaire if the first product you do works, all from running $30 in ads lmao.

It’s the equivalent of tapping on a brick wall with a toy hammer and expecting it to fall. Dawg, you’re like 1/100000 of the way there.

The good news is that it’s possible to get rich, the bad news is you’re going about it like a moron, but the other good news is you can change it and be less of a moron by doing the following.

1. Learn.

You are wasting so much of your time. You need a mindset shift. That’s a buzzword but the literal way that your mind needs to change is you must have higher expectations. Higher expectations of yourself and the effort you’ll need to put in(work hard), higher expectations of the quality of the effort you put in (work smart), and higher expectations of the results you get back out.

Just remember forever the picture of a moron knocking down a wall with a toy hammer and recognize the futility in most of your actions.

Learn best practices. Learn leverage. Learn A/B testing. Learn how to do it PRO from the GET GO.

2. REPS

You can’t go knock on 7 doors and tell me door knocking doesn’t work.

You can’t go cold call 20 people and tell me it doesn’t work.

You can’t go spend $30 on ads like a moron and tell me it doesn’t work.

You can go talk to 3 girls and tell me it doesn’t work.

You can’t go post 3 fliers and tell me it doesn’t work.

You can’t go apply to 8 jobs and tell me it doesn’t work.

You can’t go do 20 push-ups and tell me it doesn’t work.

You can’t go eat one salad and tell me it doesn’t work.

PUT IN THE MF-ING REPS.

New mentality: work smart AND hard. Work like a F*cking bulldog until you FORCE it to succeed.

REPS.

That’s it.

Affirm to yourself

“I will not be a moron. I will perform the highest efficiency actions that I am able to do.

I will learn daily so that my highest efficiency actions change to become much higher efficiency with more leverage.

I will work smart.

Then.

I will bust my a$$ and put in the F*cking reps.

I will force success. I will not wait for instructions or permission. I will not wait for ideas. I will initiate everything myself. I will create everything myself. I will put the weight of responsibility on my shoulders and do what it takes to succeed. I will take what’s mine”

Charlie Munger quotes:
  1. "To get what you want, you have to deserve what you want. The world is not yet a crazy enough place to reward a whole bunch of undeserving people."
  2. "I constantly see people rise in life who are not the smartest, sometimes not even the most diligent, but they are learning machines. They go to bed every night a little wiser than they were when they got up and boy does that help, particularly when you have a long run ahead of you."
Become a learning machine and work hard enough to deserve it.

I can tell you from experience that you deserve the amount of money you have now.

If you were rich I’d say the same thing and it would apply the same.

You need to be exposed to the reps of successful people. You need it to break your brain. You need to see how many days a week the fit people are in the gym. You need to see how many doors the successful door knockers do, how many calls the successful cold callers do, how the smart people and the hustlers do business. It would F*ck with your head. You need to be smart AND do MORE volume.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Learn best practices. Learn leverage. Learn A/B testing. Learn how to do it PRO from the GET GO.
Reminds me of a conversation I had just a few days ago:

I was riding with one of the leaders of my church's men's ministry, coming back from a getaway.

As we drove along, we were chatting some about work, especially his business in logistics warehousing.
I asked him, 'How long did you take to learn enough from your job, before you went out to start your own biz?'

(An interesting fact was his ORIGINAL college degree was in economics, but his resume hit a shipping company owned by one of the country's cronies, and the rest is history.)

Instead of telling me how long he took to learn the trade, he told me the following:
1)Too many people think logistics is just driving from Point A to B.

Rather, it is actually all about providing solutions to solve problems on transporting goods.
(hence why they term it as 'logistics' solutions'? )

2) Before one truly learns logistics, he must grasp these fundamentals:
a. Learn all the methods of transportation available to man (cars, trucks, planes, ships...even EACH vehicle itself has different specs and weightage)

b. Learn what tools you have to LOAD your cargo on and off (all kinds of forklifts and such)

c. Learn what routes you have, various touch points (especially if you are doing China), common threats like weather and politics to help factor in additional costs

After you know all these things, you can handle the more advanced calculations to help plan ops, and the industry terms.

3) F*ck the PhDs
No offense to the highly-educated, but my leader had many arguments with his PhD friends on how logistics should be best thought of, and done.

The PhD folks kept thinking logistics is just a straight line from Point A -> B -> C -> D

But my leader pointed out logistics is more of a cycle, because EVERY output (physical or otherwise) also has to be produced by tools or resources that have been transported from somewhere too.

Because the industry teachers kept teaching the over-simplistic mental model, Malaysia's logistics industry is in a mess. Imagine the wastage of lost goods, overextended road trips and accidents that slowly creep up, because of the lack of perspective.

Of course that meant opportunity for the chap, as he KNEW the right way to think about logistics from ground up.

I thought about his pointers and realised the same applied to other industries too.

'Best practices' are built up by sound fundamentals that are well-understood and washed of all the BS...they aren't some magic hidden away in a $99,999 course somewhere.

But he also shared with me quite some grisly tales on horrible logistics accidents (which he fortunately did not get hit by), some which actually scarred him for long...

ChasingDream97

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 19, 2023

You are doing it poorly, giving sporadic random effort, lacking creativity, and at low volume.

One has a hammer.

View attachment 51161

Hammer boy is F*cked.

You have been using a hammer to do things, it’s no wonder you are losing the game.

Low skill job
Low skill job
Low skill job
Medium skill labor self employment, no employees doing the work, no unique selling benefits, probably poor customer acquisition, not a lot of money.

How do you acquire customers? You tried droppshipping and ran some shit ads with $30 and are surprised you got no sales???

If that was all it took then I would’ve done it years ago, tried 5000x harder, and would’ve been a trillionaire if the first product you do works, all from running $30 in ads lmao.

It’s the equivalent of tapping on a brick wall with a toy hammer and expecting it to fall. Dawg, you’re like 1/100000 of the way there.

The good news is that it’s possible to get rich, the bad news is you’re going about it like a moron, but the other good news is you can change it and be less of a moron by doing the following.

1. Learn.

You are wasting so much of your time. You need a mindset shift. That’s a buzzword but the literal way that your mind needs to change is you must have higher expectations. Higher expectations of yourself and the effort you’ll need to put in(work hard), higher expectations of the quality of the effort you put in (work smart), and higher expectations of the results you get back out.

Just remember forever the picture of a moron knocking down a wall with a toy hammer and recognize the futility in most of your actions.

2. REPS

PUT IN THE MF-ING REPS.

New mentality: work smart AND hard. Work like a F*cking bulldog until you FORCE it to succeed.

REPS.

That’s it.

Affirm to yourself

“I will not be a moron. I will perform the highest efficiency actions that I am able to do.

I will learn daily so that my highest efficiency actions change to become much higher efficiency with more leverage.

I will work smart.

Then.

I will force success. I will not wait for instructions or permission. I will not wait for ideas. I will initiate everything myself. I will create everything myself. I will put the weight of responsibility on my shoulders and do what it takes to succeed. I will take what’s mine”

Charlie Munger quotes:
  1. "To get what you want, you have to deserve what you want. The world is not yet a crazy enough place to reward a whole bunch of undeserving people."
  2. "I constantly see people rise in life who are not the smartest, sometimes not even the most diligent, but they are learning machines. They go to bed every night a little wiser than they were when they got up and boy does that help, particularly when you have a long run ahead of you."

I can tell you from experience that you deserve the amount of money you have now.

You need to be exposed to the reps of successful people. You need it to break your brain. You need to see how many days a week the fit people are in the gym. You need to see how many doors the successful door knockers do, how many calls the successful cold callers do, how the smart people and the hustlers do business. It would F*ck with your head. You need to be smart AND do MORE volume.
This is such a great way to think about things.
I wish I could engrave this into my mind

Ela

Freelance Web Developer and SEO Expert
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 21, 2022
India
First of all, never be afraid to try again or face failure. It happens, and it will be a great lesson always.

I started my agency without a single penny, it all because I didn't have anything to lose but learn to earn. every night it was scared about what I'd for the next day.

With married and a kid on the way, it was my patience and trust in myself. Still, I do get doubts myself, but all I know it all be okay and just focus on learning what is important that can help me next 10 years.

Also, don't think asking for advice is bad; that's one of the hardest things you can do.

Recently I got to see this one "

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Wonderful short anime but worth seeing it. It is motivational and has a deeper meaning in every word. Here is a simple quote from this movie.

“What's the bravest thing you've ever said?" asked the boy.

"Help," said the horse.”

So, you will be okay, just focus on what you have and how you can improve every day. Hope it helps. :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, seeing that the OP never returned to read some epic replies.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023

One has a hammer.

View attachment 51161

Hammer boy is F*cked.

Low skill job
Low skill job
Low skill job

1. Learn.

2. REPS

PUT IN THE MF-ING REPS.

REPS.

That’s it.

Affirm to yourself

I will work smart.

Then.

Charlie Munger quotes:

This is pure gold.

First day of school, teachers say this.

I don’t care about your grades, I care about how your react when you get bad grades, do you see it as more to work on, or more to worry about?

You can’t throw a football 3 times and start whining asking why your not getting drafted.

If you break character quickly, your discipline will break just as fast”

(this one stuck with me but it’s not the teachers quote)

Sow a thought and you reap an action; Sow an act and your reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap character; sow a character and you reap a destiny.”

“The person who got good grades in school, but sacrificed character on the journey, will be struggling in the future; the one who prioritized others over grades will thrive.”

There are some unique people who make unimaginable money, who seem like they don’t deserve it; they deserved it because they imagined it, believed it, and did it.”

“The only thing you learn from getting spoon-fed is the shape of the spoon.”

Probably the most unscripted things I’ve heard coming from a scripted source.

Great post Johnny boy, a lot of people need to hear this.

Eddie M Harmon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 2, 2023

One has a hammer.

View attachment 51161

Hammer boy is F*cked.

Low skill job
Low skill job
Low skill job

1. Learn.

2. REPS

PUT IN THE MF-ING REPS.

REPS.

That’s it.

Affirm to yourself

I will work smart.

Then.

Charlie Munger quotes:

I can't deny it, you're right on the mark. I've been stuck in a pitiful mindset, setting goals so low they barely exist, and my actions have often been nothing short of sheer idiocy. It's honestly pathetic how I've half-assed everything I've touched, leading to a trail of failures. There's no one to blame but myself, and it's honestly laughable. I fully endorse your brutally honest assessment. I'll revel in my own inadequacies and use them as a reminder of my incompetence. I'll strive to set impossibly high goals and hold myself to standards that seem unattainable.

Thank you and thank the other people who wrote something.

Please continue sharing your insights and advice, as I genuinely appreciate reading more tips and assessments based on your perspective. Others who might be experiencing a similar challenging mindset can hopefully learn a lot from this conversation.

Roy2023

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 27, 2023

One has a hammer.

View attachment 51161

Hammer boy is F*cked.

Low skill job
Low skill job
Low skill job

1. Learn.

2. REPS

PUT IN THE MF-ING REPS.

REPS.

That’s it.

Affirm to yourself

I will work smart.

Then.

Charlie Munger quotes:

I like this post, no fluffing stuff and b.s. Get right to the DIRECT point. Thank you

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I can't deny it, you're right on the mark. I've been stuck in a pitiful mindset, setting goals so low they barely exist, and my actions have often been nothing short of sheer idiocy. It's honestly pathetic how I've half-assed everything I've touched, leading to a trail of failures. There's no one to blame but myself, and it's honestly laughable. I fully endorse your brutally honest assessment. I'll revel in my own inadequacies and use them as a reminder of my incompetence. I'll strive to set impossibly high goals and hold myself to standards that seem unattainable.

Please continue sharing your insights and advice, as I genuinely appreciate reading more tips and assessments based on your perspective. Others who might be experiencing a similar challenging mindset can hopefully learn a lot from this conversation.
That's a very self-pitty-style response when you can just say "damn I need to get after it" and then make simple changes such as:

Analyzing the market for needs.
Coming up with strategies to get more traction going in what you're doing now.
Increasing the value of your labor through self-training and self-learning to offer higher skilled things to people.
Increasing your total income by increasing how busy you are through better marketing and sales strategies.
Introducing leverage by first increasing how busy you are and then outsourcing the work to lower paid employees.
etc.

Solve specific problems and not emotional feelings that can't be solved logically.

What's a problem you have? Oh you can't find clients or customers for the things you do?

Then post it. "Hey, I need to acquire customers in X industry, what is the best way to do that?" And then you figure it out and search for the exact solution to that problem.

There is nothing unattainable about just making a bit more money and being more effective than you are now. It's super attainable.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

This kind of self-reflection will help you greatly in life, so give yourself a pat on the back.

Just be a bit easier on yourself, we all make mistakes and do dumb things. I'm still doing dumb things, it's how we respond and grow from them.

lifemaker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 26, 2023

One has a hammer.

View attachment 51161

Hammer boy is F*cked.

Low skill job
Low skill job
Low skill job

1. Learn.

2. REPS

PUT IN THE MF-ING REPS.

REPS.

That’s it.

Affirm to yourself

I will work smart.

Then.

Charlie Munger quotes:

you know, MJ DeMarco says in Unscripted : "remember, if you don't sacrifice to get into the game, you'll need to sacrifice to win the game".
talking a lot about process, thank you for that.
I will stop being on the form and will use your post as a helper.
After this will just be my out-talking:
as I have no experience there is no way to get a job now. Freelance on UpWork won't work, as I am 15 and law is not going in my favour.
what shall I do? go and cry? ask for help from mum and dad, who already give me a beautiful life? No
I am going to volunteer, if impossible learning Photoshop, Microsoft office and Java/Python will be my priority.
and exams? they'll take a lot of time and you have problems with focus!
great, than I will start revision ONLY on Christmas holidays and will focus on finding a way to provide VALUE and use SKEWS in no-entry fields, as barriers require at least some experience.
but what about your close ones? they might die!
ಠ⁠_⁠ಠ
listen here b##ch, what do you think is the only way to change that?! sitting and crying on the couch? or going and working your way to a job for the f##king domain experience?!?!
I have a lot of great and beloved people, a forum of entrepreneurs who can give me an advise and I am only 15. a child in everyone's eyes, a great benefit. and I am in UK.

sounds perfect, doesn't it?)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.