The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I am extremely frustrated because of taxes. How can you still stay motivated??

Anything related to matters of the mind

niklas

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Apr 9, 2022
Germany
Hey guys,

so I worked a lot in the past years and managed to generate some revenue. Its not that much, but enough that they now want thousands $ of taxes from me. It makes me extremely angry, that I have put so much work, time and energy into something (probably had an hourly rate of a few dollars) and now someone just takes half of it from me. (For reference, I have a full-time job as well, thats why every additional penny earned is taxed with the highest tax rate).

I hate my government, and I would rather burn the money, or donate it to Jeff Bezos, than give it to them. But of course if you don't, you end up in prison. Im am very frustrated and feel that it is very unfair, that I worked so many hours, I sacrificed a lot of free time and even my relationships suffered from it. I probably earned 2 Dollars per hour for all the work and now I get robbed by half of it, so I legit worked for 1 Dollar per hour. Why should I even continue?

How do you deal with this feeling? How do you keep going and not loose your drive through this experience?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Hey guys,

so I worked a lot in the past years and managed to generate some revenue. Its not that much, but enough that they now want thousands $ of taxes from me. It makes me extremely angry, that I have put so much work, time and energy into something (probably had an hourly rate of a few dollars) and now someone just takes half of it from me. (For reference, I have a full-time job as well, thats why every additional penny earned is taxed with the highest tax rate).

I hate my government, and I would rather burn the money, or donate it to Jeff Bezos, than give it to them. But of course if you don't, you end up in prison. Im am very frustrated and feel that it is very unfair, that I worked so many hours, I sacrificed a lot of free time and even my relationships suffered from it. I probably earned 2 Dollars per hour for all the work and now I get robbed by half of it, so I legit worked for 1 Dollar per hour. Why should I even continue?

How do you deal with this feeling? How do you keep going and not loose your drive through this experience?

Germany doesn't tax world-wide income... so leave.

xmartel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jul 22, 2008
Canada, eh!
Sounds like you didn't incorporate your business, and are instead setup as a sole proprietor. This is a mistake and the cause of your tax issue. Get your legal structure setup properly.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hey guys,

You're not wrong, but there's only a few things you can do.

1. Try not to think too hard about it.

2. Seek legal ways to cope, like moving, or choosing a tax advantageous industry.

3. Make more money.

4. Make no money. :rofl:

Outside of the above decisions, taxes are in your circle of concern. Not really influence.
f5e35425b2475bb5b8183c1d267c6cab.png

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Don't even want to think about how much extra/needless tax I've paid over the years due to not so great advice in setting up companies, company drawings/dividend payments for Directors etc.. Don't be discouraged @niklas, as @Kak said we either have to make more money so it's not an issue, or make none at all!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Hey guys,

I’ve paid literally millions in taxes. And you know what? Elon Musk paid billions!

There are two things in this life that are certain: death and taxes.

Make more money. Hire best tax lawyers/ accountants. Look at the glass half full, not half empty.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
If you don't file you don't get in trouble you only get in trouble for lying. Being lazy is not lying.

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
687%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Most of us here hate paying taxes and don't like having to give our money to a government that may or may not spend it the way we want. But it's the cost of doing business in a civilized society. The reality is you are "standing on the shoulders of giants". In this scenario, the giants are previous taxpayers and the shoulders is the country that was built by them. It's never fun being stood on, but success is one day bearing the burden of becoming the giant! Even if part of that burden is seeing 90% of your contribution being burned uselessly.

@Kak 's response is spot on, as usual. I would do some introspection on why you feel so much frustration. Part of growing a business to a big size is relinquishing control. The struggle you will need to overcome is that other people may not do things how you want them done, but it is still worth it because you only have so much time in a day and it is the only way to leverage. This struggle of yours isn't too different.

Deep frustration comes from a mismatch of expectation and reality. Your issue is that you likely miscalculated how much money you needed to make to hit whatever goal it is that you have. Double it and that's your new goal. Now you can't be mad at the tax man. It's all been accounted for!

Once you've accepted it, calculating how much money you would have had if you didn't pay taxes would be like calculating how much money you would have had if you didn't have to pay your employees or product costs. You could....but it's useless and just an exercise in futility.

Last edited:

KaylynVasquez

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 6, 2024
Taxes can feel like a gut punch, especially when you've put in so much effort. I remember feeling similarly frustrated when I faced a hefty tax bill after working tirelessly on a project.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hey guys,

Then study how you can claim small business assistance packages, which is common in a lot of countries.

Also talk to some people familiar with tax system in your country. If this is your second income being taxed at a high rate consider hiring your retired mom as a consultant to you in this self-employment hustle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.