The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I ALMOST slipped back into the script

Anything related to matters of the mind

apollo_web

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jun 10, 2019
I just wanted to share a quick story of how this forum almost saved me making a costly mistake, by slipping into the scripted mindset of servitude, stress and anxiety.

See, I banked my first $40,000 from my digital business (mostly from affiliate marketing) and decided to purchase a property using almost ALL of that money as the down payment + fees.

A huge part of that is listening to and seeing many people around me who have owned the property they live in, and made a bunch of money with it through appreciation over the years.

However it’s not until a purchase price was accepted, and I started going down the process, I saw it for what it was.

Lawyer fees, mortgage fees, surveyor fees and gosh knows what else fees before even moving in. (That’s not even taking into account any ongoing costs that would have no doubt sprung up).

What’s more, I would of had zero emergency fund after making the purchase.

The further down the road I went with this transaction, the more stress piled up, I stopped going to the gym, started putting on more body fat.

Couldn’t feel like I could go on dates anymore as it’d put me at risk financially when moving in, so was saving everything I could.

After a while I took the time to step back, and looked back at an old thread I posted, MJs advice to me was to instead keep renting, and focus on building the fast lane business and stacking more cash so that buying a property doesn’t cause mental gymnastics.

Sense kicked in, and I cancelled the purchase as hadn’t signed anything yet.

I was almost sucked into the script, even though I could have easily afforded the monthly payments, it seems I needed to experience the pain myself of almost making such a purchase prematurely first hand. Despite losing a few thousand in fees along the way.

However, on the positive side of this experience, in my desperate attempt to get the cash from somewhere to pay for everything, I ran into an opportunity with a partner to do a fastlane joint venture with. I have a feeling it’s going to go super well and we are already making great headway.

It feels amazing to be working as a team, focusing on my strengths in the business rather than trying to build everything solo.

Sometimes making stupid decisions puts a fire up your backside to make things happen, but thats definitely no way to live life.

Thought I’d share for anyone else that’s thinking of subscribing to the script and societal dogma of buying a property as soon as you get the deposit together, with little thought of the internal financial stress that comes with it if you don’t have reserves.

(One market swing, or loss of income after moving in without backup $$$, that would be stress to the ridiculous).

Purely focused now on stacking cheddar and building a productocrisy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Thanks mate,

Your story is definitely inspiring me.
I'm not in the same position, but I'm a little scared that I will eventually get into a similar situation. I sold my last business and want to get started with a new one, but I just don't find motivation to start alone. And with my last business, I was the major owner, but at least I had a friend helping me out.

But thanks a lot for sharing that. Do you mind asking what your business is doing?
Great story. And I wish you all the best.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
It sounds like you made the right decision. However, don't beat yourself up over it. You were looking at buying a property, not a fancy sports car. While the timing may not have been right, at least you dipped your toes in the water so you will understand more of the process next time.

apollo_web

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jun 10, 2019
My pleasure @Kasimir, I would recommend getting out there and networking with people then and seeing who it’d make sense to strike a potential deal with, makes a difference when it’s not quite as much a lonely journey.

Wouldn’t say it matters too much what my business as that might only confuse things, would say it’s all about identifying with your own strength(s) and something that your chosen market actually wants.

Thanks mate,

Your story is definitely inspiring me.
I'm not in the same position, but I'm a little scared that I will eventually get into a similar situation. I sold my last business and want to get started with a new one, but I just don't find motivation to start alone. And with my last business, I was the major owner, but at least I had a friend helping me out.

But thanks a lot for sharing that. Do you mind asking what your business is doing?
Great story. And I wish you all the best.

apollo_web

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jun 10, 2019
Thank you for the feedback @Dark Water, very true it’s helped a ton to see the process first hand. If there is a next time, I’ll be ready and better prepared!

It sounds like you made the right decision. However, don't beat yourself up over it. You were looking at buying a property, not a fancy sports car. While the timing may not have been right, at least you dipped your toes in the water so you will understand more of the process next time.

abcdefgh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 1, 2018
I just wanted to share a quick story of how this forum almost saved me making a costly mistake, by slipping into the scripted mindset of servitude, stress and anxiety.

See, I banked my first $40,000 from my digital business (mostly from affiliate marketing) and decided to purchase a property using almost ALL of that money as the down payment + fees.

A huge part of that is listening to and seeing many people around me who have owned the property they live in, and made a bunch of money with it through appreciation over the years.

However it’s not until a purchase price was accepted, and I started going down the process, I saw it for what it was.

Lawyer fees, mortgage fees, surveyor fees and gosh knows what else fees before even moving in. (That’s not even taking into account any ongoing costs that would have no doubt sprung up).

What’s more, I would of had zero emergency fund after making the purchase.

The further down the road I went with this transaction, the more stress piled up, I stopped going to the gym, started putting on more body fat.

Couldn’t feel like I could go on dates anymore as it’d put me at risk financially when moving in, so was saving everything I could.

After a while I took the time to step back, and looked back at an old thread I posted, MJs advice to me was to instead keep renting, and focus on building the fast lane business and stacking more cash so that buying a property doesn’t cause mental gymnastics.

Sense kicked in, and I cancelled the purchase as hadn’t signed anything yet.

I was almost sucked into the script, even though I could have easily afforded the monthly payments, it seems I needed to experience the pain myself of almost making such a purchase prematurely first hand. Despite losing a few thousand in fees along the way.

However, on the positive side of this experience, in my desperate attempt to get the cash from somewhere to pay for everything, I ran into an opportunity with a partner to do a fastlane joint venture with. I have a feeling it’s going to go super well and we are already making great headway.

It feels amazing to be working as a team, focusing on my strengths in the business rather than trying to build everything solo.

Sometimes making stupid decisions puts a fire up your backside to make things happen, but thats definitely no way to live life.

Thought I’d share for anyone else that’s thinking of subscribing to the script and societal dogma of buying a property as soon as you get the deposit together, with little thought of the internal financial stress that comes with it if you don’t have reserves.

(One market swing, or loss of income after moving in without backup $$$, that would be stress to the ridiculous).

Purely focused now on stacking cheddar and building a productocrisy.

Seems like you're violating the commandment of control with that business partner (just saying).

But good call on backing out. Maybe surround yourself with less people telling you to buy a house.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
My pleasure @Kasimir, I would recommend getting out there and networking with people then and seeing who it’d make sense to strike a potential deal with, makes a difference when it’s not quite as much a lonely journey.

Wouldn’t say it matters too much what my business as that might only confuse things, would say it’s all about identifying with your own strength(s) and something that your chosen market actually wants.

Thanks for the advice and will definitely do that. I hope for the best. :)

Wish you all the best.

apollo_web

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jun 10, 2019
Thanks for the reply and your thoughts @ryandoak, yes agreed would be violating the commandment, though so far I’m learning a lot.

Seems like you're violating the commandment of control with that business partner (just saying).

But good call on backing out. Maybe surround yourself with less people telling you to buy a house.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.