The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I’ve studied Psychology, Neuroscience and Human Behavior for 10+ Years. AMA.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
with respect to experts abusing their expertise:

As far as psych majors abusing their knowledge, that's highly doubtful. Most of the psych majors are morons, barely a step above the gender/cultural studies types. I'm being generous here. Those that are intelligent enough to leverage their knowledge are probably mostly good people and have no interest in manipulation. Those that are interested in manipulation probably started doing this early in life, and don't need the theoretical knowledge from what is essentially a quack pseudoscience, these days.

As far as my knowledge of physics, nope. It doesn't carry over to real life, for the most part. Driving may be a small exception, but I certainly can't play billiards. And that's because theoretical knowledge doesn't transfer over into the hand and eye coordination required to leverage the knowledge.

Where knowledge of physics DOES come in handy, is when I see new age woo type quackery that references "quantum mechanics". Anything that says you can manifest your reality because "an observer changes the observed" is grossly misinformed or deliberately lying. Certainly you can influence your reality and change the outcome of your life, but that has nothing to do with QM. It actually has more to do with psychology, in fact.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Though, I have met a disproportionate amount of Psych graduates that are just plain assholes.
Ha.
with respect to experts abusing their expertise:

As far as psych majors abusing their knowledge, that's highly doubtful. Most of the psych majors are morons, barely a step above the gender/cultural studies types. I'm being generous here. Those that are intelligent enough to leverage their knowledge are probably mostly good people and have no interest in manipulation. Those that are interested in manipulation probably started doing this early in life, and don't need the theoretical knowledge from what is essentially a quack pseudoscience, these days.

As far as my knowledge of physics, nope. It doesn't carry over to real life, for the most part. Driving may be a small exception, but I certainly can't play billiards. And that's because theoretical knowledge doesn't transfer over into the hand and eye coordination required to leverage the knowledge.

Where knowledge of physics DOES come in handy, is when I see new age woo type quackery that references "quantum mechanics". Anything that says you can manifest your reality because "an observer changes the observed" is grossly misinformed or deliberately lying. Certainly you can influence your reality and change the outcome of your life, but that has nothing to do with QM. It actually has more to do with psychology, in fact.

Yea, most psychology is honestly a half step up from astrology. It’s one of the softest soft sciences there is. The only thing softer is maybe sociology (LOL).. or philosophy (another LOL.)

Honestly, any half-witted chimpanzee can get a degree in Psychology. Half the time someone has a degree in Psych it’s because they had no idea what they wanted to do with their lives, and Psychology sounded like a decent bet. It’s the same reason people pick a “Communications” degree. Psychiatry is a much more legitimate field. Deals with chemical imbalances and the actual chemistry of behavior.

In the last few years there was an event called the “Replication Crisis” in Psychology, and it was literally a F*cking disaster. Really famous psychology experiments going all the way back to the 50’s weren’t able to be replicated in a lab.

And this was like... fundamental stuff. Like... stuff that was in every psychology textbook across the globe. Imagine if every chemistry textbook in the world.. there were some finding that said “ummm yea.... a good 75% of this isn’t even true.” That’s the disaster that underwent Psychology in the past few years.

That being said there is a lot of valuable Evidence-based stuff still left in Psychology, and with Neuroscience emerging as a legitimate discipline it makes it much much easier for us to distinguish what needs to be kept and what needs to be thrown out.

But still, this shouldn’t be taken to mean I don’t think that there’s something to be learned from the field. There’s a lot of GOLD that can be extracted. Classical conditioning, operant conditioning, cognitive behavioral therapy... that 20% that isn’t pseudoscientific bullshit is reallllllyyyyy useful. It’s really just a matter of separating what’s evidence-based from what’s shit.

Yea, but I feel like given the knowledge, its still an advantage. Let’s put it this way, two people who have never played pool. One has a PhD in Physics, one has no training. Which one will progress at a faster rates all other things held consistent? I’d bet the one with training. May not be perfect, but I would guess it provides an advantage.

There’s actually a system called the “Diamonds system” where people mathematically coordinate their shots based on different angles.

images-2.png

Take a look at an American billiards table. On nearly every table you’ll notice little marks inlaid into the frame of the rails, often a table manufacturer will use diamonds as the markers It is these diamonds which can assist you in choosing the proper angles for kick shots and banks and ultimately act as your aiming system. The diamonds form invisible lines on a table, which go from diamond to diamond; from left to right. The general principle is if you hit the cue ball perfectly straight at one diamond, it will travel completely straight back towards the diamonds at the opposite end of the table and when used properly, you can calculate or visualise the precise impact point to send the cue ball (or object ball) to any other spot on the pool table. So if you hit from ten degrees, either way, it should rebound ten degrees out in the opposite direction. Simple! However, if you find yourself playing a situation where a diamond isn’t in the right spot, this is when you have to start using your imagination and envision “imaginary diamonds” in the appropriate spot, along with the corresponding imaginary lines.

Introduction to the Pool Diamond System by Liberty Games

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Patterns yes, outright simuations and no freewill no.

If this were the case then economics would be an outright science and would always be right.
Well what if we just don’t know enough and haven’t figured out all the variables to make econ an outright science

like in physics we can make almost perfect predictions... but it wasn’t always like that

they were kind of vague at one time

what if we’re just in that stage of econ/psychology

amxr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 5, 2018
Sexually? A man with strong genes so her child is well adapted physically.

Long term? A man who is good at providing resources so her child has the nourishment and resources it needs.

Women want a man that’s going to give them children with the best chances of surviving, and thriving.

Studies show that women, when looking for short term flings look for more “Alpha” males, but when they’re looking for a long term relationship look for a man who’s a more nurturing provider. The ideal situation for them is to find a man who’s naturally “Alpha” and she’s able to ‘tame’ him and make him more nurturing. And if you look at many romance novels, that’s a recurring theme in them. Woman meets an unpredictable “Bad Boy” type and gradually gets him to sink in, settle down and fall for her. Now that crazy bad boy is her husband.

Furthermore, when a woman is at her most fertile in her cycle (ie most likely to get pregnant) and estrogen is high she is mostly interested in “Bad Boy Alpha Males” who she desperately wants to f***. But during the rest of her cycle (when estrogen is low, and progesterone is high) she looks for a more nurturing type provider males. It’s the Lover/Provider dynamic.

When Fertile, Women Want Manly Men

What do women want? It depends on the time of the month

I know that the question was asked in a half joking manner, but that’s the answer.

If anyone is interested in those topics he can read "Evolution of Desire" by David Buss - pretty good stuff, answers many mating questions

amxr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 5, 2018
  1. What's a lesser know, yet highly important fact about human nature that you know?
  2. ... about marketing psychology?

Every decision you think you consciously take is in reality taken by your unconscious 2 - 12 seconds prior to your thought. Even the simple act of moving your hand. And then your logically invent a silly excuse for doing it.
Unconscious determinants of free decisions in the human brain

Last edited:

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
If anyone is interested in those topics he can read "Evolution of Desire" by David Buss - pretty good stuff, answers many mating questions
Anything by Dr. David M Buss and Dr. Geoffrey Miller

The Evolution of Desire by Buss
Why Women Have Sex by Buss
Dangerous Passion by Buss
THe Murderer Next Door by Buss
The Mating Mind by Geoffrey Miller
Spent by Geoffrey Miller
Mate: Become the Man Women Want by Tucker Max(Author of Assholes Finish First) and Dr. Geoffrey Miller
Sex At Dawn by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jetha
A Billion Wicked Thoughts by Dr. Ogi Ogas

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
What is your view on meditation

Absolutely essential.

and do you think one should do it regularly?

Yes. No qualifiers.

This is something I have printed out and put on my wall. I have it there because these are literally the most beneficial things you can do.

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 2.49.15 AM.png

You might notice Video Games on there, and since I’m sure there will be comments on that, I’ll reply. Recent studies are finding that video games are amazing for Executive Function. They can actually increase intelligence.

Science Direct: The influence of video games on executive functions in college students - ScienceDirect

Science Alert: Action games expand the brain's cognitive abilities, study suggests

Psychology Today: Cognitive Benefits of Playing Video Games

Science Direct: Playing Action Video Games a Key to Cognitive Enhancement - ScienceDirect

Science Alert: 6 Scientific Benefits of Playing Videogames

Penn State University: Video Games and Their Positive Effects | SiOWfa15: Science in Our World: Certainty and Controversy

Medical News Today: How video games affect the brain

But back on topic. Science is allllllll over meditation. It’s like a veritable goldmine for evidence-based medicine. New findings are coming out literally daily. We’re is finding meditation to be one of the most beneficial things you can do for yourself. Stress relief. Happiness. Cognitive Skill. Memory. Empathy. Focus. CARDIOVASCULAR HEALTH. Aside from the other fields of medicine, all of Psychology is restructuring itself around the idea of Mindfulness. ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) is almost completely based around mindfulness and eastern philosophy. I mean the benefits of Meditation are too numerous to list, but it’s almost as if you’re dumb not to do it.

If you want to get started on the benefits:

12 Science-Based Benefits of Meditation

20 Scientific Reasons to Start Meditating Today

14 Benefits of Meditation that Rewire Your Brain for Happiness & Success

But yea, do it. Daily.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Is there any published data about gendered actors/actresses/voice talent as it relates to effectiveness in advertising across different industries?

What I'm basically looking for is an external data set I can point to and say "Yes client, data shows we should absolutely use Male/Female for this commercial."

Are men or women more likely to raise conversions in:
  • security?
  • finance?
  • automotive?
  • health/fitness?
  • software solutions?
When is it appropriate to use the same gender as your target demographic vs a different gender?

Note: I'm interested in prerecorded representatives only.
Any form of two-way communication (telemarketing, in-person sales) is going to be biased in favor of women.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Is there any published data about gendered actors/actresses/voice talent as it relates to effectiveness in advertising across different industries?

What I'm basically looking for is an external data set I can point to and say "Yes client, data shows we should absolutely use Male/Female for this commercial."

• security?
  • finance?
  • automotive?
  • health/fitness?
  • software solutions?
When is it appropriate to use the same gender as your target demographic vs a different gender?

Any form of two-way communication (telemarketing, in-person sales) is going to be biased in favor of women.

We have a bias toward male (low pitched) voices in general.

Why We Prefer Masculine Voices (Even in Women) - The Atlantic

Preference for Leaders with Masculine Voices Holds in the Case of Feminine Leadership Roles

Human voice pitch research has focused on perceptions of attractiveness, strength, and social dominance. Here we examine the influence of pitch on selection of leaders, and whether this influence varies by leadership role. Male and female leaders with lower-pitched (i.e., masculine) voices are generally preferred by both men and women. We asked whether this preference shifts to favor higher-pitch (i.e., feminine) voices within the specific context of leadership positions that are typically held by women (i.e., feminine leadership roles). In hypothetical elections for two such positions, men and women listened to pairs of male and female voices that differed only in pitch, and were asked which of each pair they would vote for. As in previous studies, men and women preferred female candidates with masculine voices. Likewise, men preferred men with masculine voices. Women, however, did not discriminate between male voices. Overall, contrary to research showing that perceptions of voice pitch can be influenced by social context, these results suggest that the influence of voice pitch on perceptions of leadership capacity is largely consistent across different domains of leadership.

Published studies regarding advertising specifically?... I would have to look into it. I don’t recall seeing anything about this specifically but men command more authority in general. Sorry to anyone who doesn't feel that is P.C. but much of this is so heavily embedded in our DNA that it’s hard to shake.

I would Hypothesize that it depends on the product being sold, but I’m going to make an educated guess and say that men are seen as more trustworthy over subjects traditionally seen as masculine, while women are seen as more trustworthy regarding subjects traditionally seen as feminine.

There’s research showing that men command less authority when they hold positions traditionally seen as ‘female’ [1][2]

I’m gonna thumb through some papers and see what I can find. I have full access to basically every journal, so it shouldn’t be an issue. I’ll get back to you.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

• security?
  • finance?
  • automotive?
  • health/fitness?
  • software solutions?

Alright, I found a little research for you.

Male voices seen as more forceful while female voices are more soothing

It really depends on the tone the ad is attempting to convey. Almost half of Americans (48%) believe a male voice is more forceful while 46% believe a female voice is more soothing, so those may be easy choices for a marketing executive to make. However, almost half of U.S. adults also say it makes no difference to them and neither voice is more forceful (49%) or more soothing (46%).

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 3.51.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 3.51.23 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 3.51.30 AM.png

Are Consumers More Responsive to Male or Female Voices in Advertisements?

https://theharrispoll.com/wp-conten...e-Poll-Research-Media-Advertising-2010-03.pdf

In terms of persuasion, however, the results were split. 19% felt a female voice was more persuasive while 18% believed a male voice was more persuasive. Yet, 64% said gender made no difference.

Thus, depending on your goal, choosing the gender can make a huge difference. For example, if you’re creating a forceful message, 49% don’t care about gender, but 48% do care; thus, you’ll satisfy 98% of consumers by choosing a male voice. If you want a soothing voice over, however, you’ll satisfy 92% of people by going with a female voice.

In the same study, 28% of respondents felt that a male voice was “more likely to sell me a car” compared to just 7% who chose a woman’s voice. 23% also said that a guy’s voice was “more likely to sell me a computer” compared to just 7% who picked a female.

But it makes sense: men are typically more interested in gadgets, electronics, and cars than females. If you’re selling male-dominated like products like sports nutrition, hardware tools, or briefcases, a male voice generally fits the message, the brand, and the listeners. A woman’s voice, however, would match things like cosmetics, fashion, and feminine hygiene products.

Good Article: Should you go with a male or female voice over?

Last edited:

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I have full access to basically every journal, so it shouldn’t be an issue. I’ll get back to you.

How?
Is this a subscription, something from a university, etc?
And how much does this sort of thing run?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
How?
Is this a subscription, something from a university, etc?
And how much does this sort of thing run?

Hang on, I’ll message you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
I think psychology is the cornerstone of selling. And I figured since there are a ton of marketers and curious individuals this might be a good place if anyone has any general questions about psychology neuroscience or human behavior. I’ve studied it formally and informally, in classes and on my own. So anyway... if any of you guys have any questions, whether it be personal or marketing related: post them up here.

I’ll post citations/evidence to the best of my ability as well.

:smile:

Which pscyhology books do you recommend?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Which pscyhology books do you recommend?

Jeez that’s a broad question.

I mean I would just start with a Psychology 101 textbook. Or start a trial on this Website:

Psychology 101: Intro to Psychology Course - Online Video Lessons | Study.com

This site is GREAT. Any college subject that I struggled with I went on there and they make it super easy to grasp. The comment you read most on that site is “Wow! I learned more in this 7 minute video than I did from 70 minutes of my professor talking! Thanks!”

So do their Psychology 101.

Also Loretta Breuning’s book Habits of a Happy Brain is awesome for understanding the most fundamental principle in Psych. It’s Neuroscience/Biology based but it goes into the specifics of our chemical motivations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hercules P.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Sep 11, 2016
Hi Chris, thanks for taking the time to do this.

Question: What is the difference between the unconscious and the subconscious?

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

Ali's subconscious made his body move to knock Liston unconscious.

upload_2018-9-6_14-50-27.png

im sorry i couldn't resist

Subconscious is the part that makes you act without thinking. Like breathing, and sending signals to individual muscles to move. We don't actually know too much about what goes on there, but it's a power which can be molded into an awesome tool.

Like forming habits, and radiating positive "vibes" to those around you. Success by osmosis works in much the same way.

Conscious is what you actively think of and do. I'll pick up this cup. I've picked up this cup.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Nothing. Subconscious and Unconscious are used interchangeably.

But there’s no real definition of what the subconscious or unconscious mind even is, so it would really depend on who you ask. They’re vague terms not recognized by science.

To understand, i’ll point out the difference between the brain and the mind. The mind is basically what the brain does. The mind is software, the brain is hardware.

But I would define the subconscious as the part of the brain that doesn’t use language. if we’re using language, it’s conscious. if we’re using emotion, it’s subconscious. so if you have a “subconscious thought” it’s simply a feeling that pops up. Same with the unconscious.

you could argue that th unconscious is even deeper than the subconscious, but again, depends on who you ask since they’re not exactly defined terms.

If you want something more scientific the Triune brain model is helpful.

bc993bcd546b8b0de2cf2caa5b1c9394.gif

You have the very old limbic system, and the very new neocortex. The limbic system is what we share in common with lizards. it feels pain, fear, hunger, etc. Neocortex does math, poetry, statistics.

but to answer your question: they’re the same things usually, but sometimes “unconscious” refers to even more primal, animalistic survival needs, that are very low on Maslow hierarchy

153517d362ec83de5877180cd29478d0.png

Hercules P.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Sep 11, 2016
Okay I see, thank you very much.

Question: To what extent are Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) theories and techniques valid? Is NLP a "scam" based on the placebo effect? These questions came up after I saw that Wikipedia has it listed as pseudoscience List of topics characterized as pseudoscience - Wikipedia

Question: Which psychotherapy systems are the most effective and the most scientifically proven? Here is a list of the majority of the psychotherapy systems List of psychotherapies - Wikipedia

Thank you!

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Okay I see, thank you very much.

Question: To what extent are Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) theories and techniques valid? Is NLP a "scam" based on the placebo effect? These questions came up after I saw that Wikipedia has it listed as pseudoscience List of topics characterized as pseudoscience - Wikipedia

NLP is considered to have no scientific validity, but I think it depends. You really have to break things down by their individual claims. You can’t say everything a field says is bullshit, you have o go by individual claims. Some of their claims are reasonable enough and are actually exactly what you learn in mainstream psychology. But then there’s other bullshit saying NLP can cure cancer or make you a millionaire. The problem is that there’s no “one” NLP. Bandler created the “field” and a million other people took off with it, making insane claims. Like it will NOT cure physical disease and i don’t even know how you can scientifically measure claims like some of the other ones.

Richard Bander comes off as a creep, a charlatan and a swindling snake oil salesman. Let’s put it this way, if I had a daughter she would NOT be allowed near him.

4f81e6d455054e5d4dcca5acf68b2221.jpg

I don’t know who told him that leather button-up, red tie and (super bowl ring? idk) was okay... but it’s not.

That being said, Bandlers version of NLP is reasonable enough and actually pretty innovative though. I read his book and I know a lot of legitimate psychological methods, and it’s like he takes those and puts a “spin” on them. So his books were pretty good. If you can tolerate his slimy personality that even drips through the pages he writes.

Reading Bandler gives me a headache. He’s like a Carnival Barker with no grasp on reality sometimes, but other times he comes up with really innovative stuff. Honestly, I wouldn’t recommend him to anyone who doesn’t have a knowledge of more formal psychology. Why? Because that knowledge will allow you to sift through the dog shit to find the diamonds. But if you don’t know the difference you’ll probably come back with a pocket full of dog shit not knowing the difference

Question: Which psychotherapy systems are the most effective and the most scientifically proven? Here is a list of the majority of the psychotherapy systems List of psychotherapies - Wikipedia

Jeez that’s quite a list. It depends on what you want to do.

CBT is the gold standard for like... Everything. The science behind it is unshakable.

I looooooveeee REBT. REBT is like a DIY version of CBT. If you’re looking for something to apply on yourself REBT it where it’s at. I’m a huge huge fan of REBT. It’s so beautiful and elegant and simple and useful.

EMDR for trauma / Fear

Neurofeedback I want to do for performance enhancement

DBT is popular

Not a therapy but Skinners behaviorism is a fundamental theory.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

amxr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 5, 2018
To add more to he conversation:
As ChrisV said, your brain can be roughly categorized into three parts: Reptilian, Mammal, Neocortex.
The neocortex, aka "consious" works with speeds of ≥500ms. That means half a second for information to travel. Anything that is below that belongs to the unconscious. Your subconscious part of the brain sees, makes you react or make a decision in 50-450ms, and you only realize it afterwards. Remember the time you put your hand in a hot surface and you immediately pulled it back, without realising it? Imagine using your conscious for everything: You see a bear approaching. Half a second after you realized it. Half a second after you realize it is dangerous. Half a second after you decide to run etc etc, you would be dead. The amount of information your subconscious processes is enormous comparing to your conscious part. Its your supercomputer, versus your neocortex which is more like a calculator.
Thats why I love reading wealth books, to build a mindset, a supercomputers designed to make good financial decisions. Without this, I consider it Impossible.
This is also related to the book "Thinking fast and slow", mentioned somewhere in this blog.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
To add more to he conversation:
As ChrisV said, your brain can be roughly categorized into three parts: Reptilian, Mammal, Neocortex.
The neocortex, aka "consious" works with speeds of ≥500ms. That means half a second for information to travel. Anything that is below that belongs to the unconscious. Your subconscious part of the brain sees, makes you react or make a decision in 50-450ms, and you only realize it afterwards. Remember the time you put your hand in a hot surface and you immediately pulled it back, without realising it? Imagine using your subconscious for everything: You see a bear approaching. Half a second after you realized it. Half a second after you realize it is dangerous. Half a second after you decide to run etc etc, you would be dead. The amount of information your subconscious processes is enormous comparing to your conscious part. Its your supercomputer, versus your neocortex which is more like a calculator.
Thats why I love reading wealth books, to build a mindset, a supercomputers designed to make good financial decisions. Without this, I consider it Impossible.
This is also related to the book "Thinking fast and slow", mentioned somewhere in this blog.

Thanks for this reply.

Thinking Fast and Slow is a classic. If I’m not mistaken he won the Nobel Prize for his work in that book.

What I would say about the conscious vs sunsconscious is... the conscious mind is really everything that makes us human. Other animals with a less evolved cortex do just fine. Cats. Squirrels. And Cats actually have a pretty highly developed cortex.

Let’s put it this way.. you can survive without your Cortex, (PHILOSOPHICALLY) but you can’t survive without the deeper parts.

It’s helpful to look at Evolution.

Source, Scientific American: Your Brain Evolved from Bacteria

Fish do just fine at survival. Lizards do just fine at survival. They see a predator, they run. A lizard feels pain? It knows to stay away. A snake gets scared? It’s fight or flight works just fine. It will run away (flight) or bite/threaten you (fight.)

It’s funny when people say that logic is more important than emotions. Ummmmm, no. It’s a complex, interwoven system where each plays off the next but @ApparentHorizon was taking about a gentleman who’s amygdala (fear center) was damaged. He couldn’t make decisions. He wouldn’t be able to decide where to eat. He would sit there for hours weighing the pros and cons of each restaurant but without emotion he had no drive to act.

Logic just helps us sort through emotions. Even the most logical choices are emotional at the core. You buy a car that has good gas mileage right? Totally logical. Nope. You chose the car that got good mileage to avoid the negative emotion of wasting money in gas.

Emotions are the only motivator (besides physical pain and pleasure.) Logic does nothing to motivate us. It simply helps us calculate emotions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hercules P.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Sep 11, 2016
Great discussion! Thank you @ChrisV,@amxr and @ApparentHorizon.

Chris, I will check out the psychotherapy systems you recommended. I have experience with CBT and it was very helpful.

Also, I have found that understanding how Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP) works proved to be very effective in helping me improve. Jon Frederickson from the ISTDP Institute is awesome. Especially his videos here and his books Co-Creating Change: Effective Dynamic Therapy Techniques and The Lies We Tell Ourselves: How to Face the Truth, Accept Yourself, and Create a Better Life.

Chris, it would be great if you could share some recommended books related to psychotherapy. Thanks!

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Chris, it would be great if you could share some recommended books related to psychotherapy. Thanks!
Crap, just saw this, sorry lol

I liked this a lot:

10059099.jpg

Change Your Life With CBT: How Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Can Transform Your Life by Corinne Sweet

Not a psychotherapy book per say, but this is essential, imo:

#1 most important book I’ve ever read:

The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today by Julia Ross

mooddddd.jpg

It really depends on what you want to accomplish though. If you’d be more comfortable messaging me maybe I could make better reccomendations

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.