The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I’m Reading Atlas Shrugged; You’re Invited!!!!

Twice weakly

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
May 20, 2019
New Zealand
I’ve seen ayn Rand’s ‘atlas shrugged’ recommended so many times but never realised it was by a female. Also I have never read a book slowly at a pace like this. I can’t wait for it to arrive in the post.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
The first post in this thread will contain the links to every week as they are posted. I edited the first post so it has the schedule at the top.

Joaquim

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 19, 2018
Belgium
Would love to join this book discussion and share our thoughts.

I heard about Atlas Shrugged for the first time on this forum and it's more than clear that it is a must read. Although I know it would be better for me personally to have some guidance while reading this particular book and learn about your interpretations.

The book arrives tomorrow and will catch up the first four chapters.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
I have read Atlas Shrugged (only recently in the past 5 years twice) and actually listening to it now on Audible. So the timing is perfect!

The latest Audible version is great!

Some comments about the book without giving away anything:
  • The book is long and IMHO Rand could have used an editor. Pace yourself like you are doing. Some of the topics are deep and may even require a re-read.
  • Some of the same plot lines are discussed in different ways and could have been removed to get the same point across
  • The characters are somewhat one-dimensional but hey it's fiction!
  • There are many points she is trying to get across in the book which is her Objectivism philosophy (before it was called that).
  • After reading you should read her non-fiction (which IMHO makes things more sense and I got more out of them)
  • There are some very well described scenes that are very well written
  • My favorite characters are Francisco D'anconia, Ragnar Danneskjöld, and Hank Rearden
  • I have a favorite scene but won't give it away yet.
  • Some scenes IMHO are silly because that's not how people talk. Nor do speak like they are in Shakespearian plays either. Again it's fiction!
  • I don't get some of the love scenes, but it was written during a different era.
  • Keep in mind when this was written. While we may take for granted of a strong woman lead role today that was almost unheard of at the time.
I found many people who hate the book never read it, or if they did completely missed the whole point of the book. That is why I chose to read it myself.

Ayn Rand's work is often misunderstood. Either on purpose or from hearsay. Articles like on The Slate completely misconstrue her writing.

I'm not an Objectivist but tend to agree with a lot of the philosophy.

Its funny (sad?) how some still misconstrued what she wrote in this book where she tried to make it painfully obvious many times over what she was trying to convey.

Even though its a work of fiction it's pretty amazing some parallels of what's happening in modern society.

As fellow entrepreneurs, I HIGHLY recommend you read it has it should help influence your mindset (for the better IMHO).

Who is John Galt?

Last edited:

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
For example like this hit piece. Ugh.

I know it's trying to be funny, but meh it's not a real accurate depiction of her work.

Like for example, most in the press will say Donald Trump is an Ayn Rand hero.

But he's really more like James Taggart in the book.

/endrant
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8m8cQI4DgM

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Well I’ll just save that link for when we’re all done with the book.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Just gonna leave this here...

In “Atlas Shrugged,” everyone gets poor, and if we stay on our current turn toward statism and don’t stand up for our rights, we will be poorer and a lot less free.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Hi Slug!

I’m a bit late to the party, but I recently started listening to Atlas Shrugged.

I’m about 8 hours and 30 minutes in and...WOW! It’s an engaging book. Much has already happened, It’s hard to believe that there still remains 52 hours.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
Hi Slug!

I’m a bit late to the party, but I recently started listening to Atlas Shrugged.

I’m about 8 hours and 30 minutes in and...WOW! It’s an engaging book. Much has already happened, It’s hard to believe that there still remains 52 hours.
You are in for a treat, if you make it last the middle, where it gets really gloomy and depressing. And you are in for an even bigger treat if you listen to it the second time.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
This early morning, I was able to finish Atlas Shrugged.

All I can say is, wow.

It’s hard for me to describe the book, I even had a difficult time telling others what the book was about because there’s just so much that happens.

This book left an impression on me.

- Don’t be a looter, be a producer. (Reminds me of TMF , start being a producer and provide value.)
- Inspires me to think more and strive for larger ambitions. To innovate and improve.
- Reminds me to think for myself and that I don’t owe a thing to anyone. Why do people deserve anything of me? The same goes for you or anyone else. You don’t owe me anything, you don’t have to give your mind and ideas to me. You don’t have to do anything for me, just as I don’t have to do anything for you.

The more I think about the book, the more lessons I find from it. What a great book.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.