The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Humor in advertisement?

Marketing, social media, advertising

ProblemSolving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 4, 2017
?
I'm learning photography. So I posted this ad:

======================================
Title: Need a photo? I'm the BEST photographer
Hey guys,

I'll be the BEST photographer in the world. However I'm just starting out, so you can get a FREE quality photo. For now. Hurry up while it lasts.

Contact me at **********
======================================

Can it be improved?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Most advertising/copy experts advise against using humor in ads. You want to use what sells. I think your title can use some improvement. Your title/headline is the most important thing. You can use the "best photographer" line in the body but it fails to be humorous from my point of view. I know you intended to be a little sarcastic but it needs improvement on the delivery.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
It could be me, but I have trouble seeing the humor in your ad. Not something that would catch my attention.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
To be honest, I don't see what's funny. I just perceive it as if you're contradicting yourself in a non-comedic way.

And that's the problem with comedy in advertisements. People have different taste, and if someone doesn't think your ad is funny it will fall flat right out of the gate.

It's high risk without necessarily being high reward. Dollar shave club and Squatty Potty might be able to pull comedy off once in a while, but the question is if you can, and if there is no easier way that might work better for you.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Want to see how a professional photographer takes pictures?

If you hire me, I will even show you my breasts. Oh what the heck, I'll show them to you anyway but give me a call at 867-5309. Don't worry, you won't have to show me your breasts.

csm_RC2015_S_2878_3862_ChickenBreast_Herbs_Hero_D_7d308c5f52.jpg

See, that was humor in advertising but even at that, you will run in to the lady that has her nose stuck up her @ss and get all mad about it. So thats why it's hard to be funny in ads, especially these days when everyone has a chip on their shoulder.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Oh yeah, just recently it was made a big deal because this one cafe has a sign that reads:

Burgers as big as your a$$

Some people were flipping out about it. lol I'm not real sure who thought that was funny to begin with but only because, I don't want to think about a$$ while eating my burger. :jawdrop:

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Want to see how a professional photographer takes pictures?

If you hire me, I will even show you my breasts. Oh what the heck, I'll show them to you anyway but give me a call at 867-5309. Don't worry, you won't have to show me your breasts.

csm_RC2015_S_2878_3862_ChickenBreast_Herbs_Hero_D_7d308c5f52.jpg

See, that was humor in advertising but even at that, you will run in to the lady that has her nose stuck up her @ss and get all mad about it. So thats why it's hard to be funny in ads, especially these days when everyone has a chip on their shoulder.
This is so true, nowadays it is difficult to make a funny ad without offending someone.

Chx

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Let's say you are able to incorporate a witty, hilarious and nonoffensive joke into your ad.

Will people laugh? ... Perhaps.

Will they think "Gee, I need your photography services now"? Probably not.

I'm a firm believer that humor has its place in almost all aspects of life. But does humor sell? No. At best, it should be a tool to engage your reader, but even then it is risky.
Can it be improved?
Free quality photo – you've got an amazing offer here.

Yet, much of your ad focuses on something nobody cares about (I'm the best photographer), not what people do care about (FREE STUFF!)

If your advertising format allows it, include your best photo sample in the ad. Because you're 'just starting out', people will wonder if your photos are any good. Alternatively, you could say 'building my portfolio' rather than 'just starting out' – both are true, but one paints a negative picture of you being inexperienced.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I agree with Chx. Don't use humor in an ad. An ad isn't made to entertain. It is made to sell.

Make a small investment (or go to the library) and pick up the book Ca$hvertising.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.