• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

Humor in advertisement?

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by ProblemSolving, Dec 4, 2018.

1. ProblemSolving

ProblemSolving Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $278
    I'm learning photography. So I posted this ad:

======================================
    Title: Need a photo? I'm the BEST photographer
    Hey guys,

I'll be the BEST photographer in the world. However I'm just starting out, so you can get a FREE quality photo. For now. Hurry up while it lasts.

Contact me at **********
    ======================================

Can it be improved?

Chx likes this.
  2. NewManRising

NewManRising Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,499
    Most advertising/copy experts advise against using humor in ads. You want to use what sells. I think your title can use some improvement. Your title/headline is the most important thing. You can use the "best photographer" line in the body but it fails to be humorous from my point of view. I know you intended to be a little sarcastic but it needs improvement on the delivery.

SMH, Duane and YoungPadawan like this.
  3. RazorCut

RazorCut Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,360
    What do you think?

YoungPadawan likes this.
  4. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,460
    It could be me, but I have trouble seeing the humor in your ad. Not something that would catch my attention.

5. jon.M

jon.M Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $255
    To be honest, I don't see what's funny. I just perceive it as if you're contradicting yourself in a non-comedic way.

And that's the problem with comedy in advertisements. People have different taste, and if someone doesn't think your ad is funny it will fall flat right out of the gate.

It's high risk without necessarily being high reward. Dollar shave club and Squatty Potty might be able to pull comedy off once in a while, but the question is if you can, and if there is no easier way that might work better for you.

SMH likes this.
  6. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,165
    Want to see how a professional photographer takes pictures?

If you hire me, I will even show you my breasts. Oh what the heck, I'll show them to you anyway but give me a call at 867-5309. Don't worry, you won't have to show me your breasts.

[​IMG]

See, that was humor in advertising but even at that, you will run in to the lady that has her nose stuck up her @ss and get all mad about it. So thats why it's hard to be funny in ads, especially these days when everyone has a chip on their shoulder.

SMH, Madame Peccato, amp0193 and 5 others like this.
  7. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,165
    Oh yeah, just recently it was made a big deal because this one cafe has a sign that reads:

Burgers as big as your a$$

Some people were flipping out about it. lol I'm not real sure who thought that was funny to begin with but only because, I don't want to think about a$$ while eating my burger. :jawdrop:

SMH likes this.
  8. Olimac21

Olimac21 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,365
    This is so true, nowadays it is difficult to make a funny ad without offending someone.

9. Chx

Chx Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $525
    Let's say you are able to incorporate a witty, hilarious and nonoffensive joke into your ad.

Will people laugh? ... Perhaps.

Will they think "Gee, I need your photography services now"? Probably not.

I'm a firm believer that humor has its place in almost all aspects of life. But does humor sell? No. At best, it should be a tool to engage your reader, but even then it is risky.
    Free quality photo – you've got an amazing offer here.

Yet, much of your ad focuses on something nobody cares about (I'm the best photographer), not what people do care about (FREE STUFF!)

If your advertising format allows it, include your best photo sample in the ad. Because you're 'just starting out', people will wonder if your photos are any good. Alternatively, you could say 'building my portfolio' rather than 'just starting out' – both are true, but one paints a negative picture of you being inexperienced.

SMH, YoungPadawan and minivanman like this.
  10. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,259
    I agree with Chx. Don't use humor in an ad. An ad isn't made to entertain. It is made to sell.

Make a small investment (or go to the library) and pick up the book Ca$hvertising.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.