The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Humbling myself

mrarenare

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
386%
Mar 25, 2014
US
Hello all...please forgive me if this is a long rambling soliloquy. I'm hoping that by putting these thoughts out on the board, it'll help shock me into action..force me to deal with issues I've tried to ignore that have led to a downward spiral. To give you an idea where I am, let me tell you how I got here.
I was first introduced to TMF by one of my brothers back in early 2014 (I was 53 at the time). He told me about this amazing book he heard about, although in retrospect, I doubt if he ever read all of it. I did, immediately.

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a reader. My mind drifts easily, when I read. So, unless I'm reading something I really enjoy, it's a major chore. However, I read TMF quickly. As a wantrepeneur, I saw this book as a way to help get over the professional and financial hump and get my own Lambo...actually, I'm more of a Porsche guy, but you get the idea.

When I read TMF, I was a year removed from a fairly successful run in the mortgage industry as an MLO. I got in a year before 9/11. I had NO financial background, but due to the freewheeling nature of the industry then, even a novice like myself was able to make enough money to feel like I was ballin!

9/11 seems to be the time the company I worked at took off. It seems we had a license to print money! As a guy who never made more than $55k or so in a year, I was starting to pull in $100k+ and after being pretty frugal with my money for a few years, I felt confident enough to start rewarding my efforts.
I bought a Boxster, lots of expensive clothes, Rolex, traveled some, and felt that I had arrived. Along with that, I was able to use my good fortune to help others. I gave charitably and helped my family, whenever necessary. In my circle of friends and family, I was probably the most successful financially...and I'm talking no more than $200k.

I worked at a firm where if you WEREN'T making six figures, people looked at you kinda sideways. There wasn't much said, but you could sense it. I got in at my company on the ground floor as one of the first employees, and as such, I saw lots of people come afterwards. Soon, I saw many others easily eclipse my earnings, but at the time, I was so busy having a good time...think Wolf of Wall St kinda fun..I shrugged it off. In my mind, this money machine was never gonna stop. It did.

I like to pat myself on the back and say I saw the 08 Recession a year before it happened and tried to avoid it by going into the management of the company and taking a nice salary, vs working for what I saw were my dwindling commissions.

By that time, I had 2 homes and had racked up tons of debt from living large, and although I knew I needed to make some changes, I never did. At the very least, I needed to downsize, but I kept believing that my financial situation was going to make a turn for the better.

Unfortunately, I didn't network much, didn't foster relationships both inside nor outside my company, so instead of having a safe place to land as this plane was going down in flames, I went down with it. Over the next few years, I lost everything..both homes, pawned my Roley, relationships..my girlfriend moved on, and I just kinda withdrew into a shell...but I somehow still assumed I'd find my way out. I tried saying positive things to myself to get motivated, but nothing seemed to work.

Fast forward to now, I've had more dead ends than I need to mention. I've found every scam job on Craigslist, to the point that I was paralyzed with inaction and fear of trying something that MIGHT NOT work.

Taking assessment of my skills, I like to think I'm a good person..kinda introverted, and truly love people no matter race, creed, orientation, etc..I don't have a degree, I'm somewhat lazy, and have few marketable skills. However, I'm creative as hell...I was a fine arts major in college, but my creativity manifests itself in many ways...often in areas I have no expertise in, just a good idea.

My challenge is to find my way. I'm lost professionally and I'm at an age where I should be helping others and looking towards retirement, but I find myself starting over yet again, and unable to help myself. Although I'm homeless and would be on the streets if not for the kindness of my current girlfriend and family, I live somewhat comfortably (this is part of the problem)...don't miss any meals, still have a car, but I'm not living, simply existing.

Shortly after reading TMF, I found this forum and have lurked on it, occasionally for the last couple of years, but never took any action. I've read the introductions of other newbies and saw how many others...maybe not in as bad shape nor as old as myself have received advice and direction from the collective brain trust here, however, I was too withdrawn and too proud to ask for help...After another recent job setback (insurance sales) I feel maybe it's time to try something else.

I'm willing to listen to ANY ADVICE no matter how tough it may be. I screwed up and take responsibility for my situation. Sorry for the long read.
Thanks in advance. God bless.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, legendary introduction. Thank you for posting and coming out of the shadows. Much appreciated.

I live somewhat comfortably (this is part of the problem)

Absolutely.

Somewhat paraphrased from my next book, I wrote: "Show me a man who lives in mediocre comfort and I'll show you a man who will never change his situation."

mrarenare

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
386%
Mar 25, 2014
US
Mj, thanks for reading and responding. I'd say you have no idea how hard it was to put just some of these shortcomings of mine down on pixel, but I'd imagine you've seen and read quite a bit, considering the size and collective experiences of this group...and trust me, I had to leave out a lot to, keep it from becoming a book.

Im not surprised you zeroed in on my biggest problem right away...I've been comfortable and haven't allowed myself to truly hit rock bottom. And that's after a bankruptcy, THOUSANDS in debt, multiple jobs, and half-starts in business for myself and with others.

To be honest, I don't know why I came outta the shadows today. It's not like over the last few years I haven't seen GREAT advice and even "how-to" step-by-step instructions by both the gurus AND new members.
I just know I can't continue like I've been doing.

One of the things I've learned and read over and over, on this board, is that you or your business has to add VALUE! And when I think of endeavors, it's my first consideration. And as someone who has asked for help, I must offer value HERE...not sure how, and as lost as I am, not sure you'd want it...lol. But, I'm willing to help anyone here anyway I can.

Thanks again

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find it helpful. I certainly have.

You've been quite honest with your past & present, and that's a good start. We strangers on the internet can offer you various platitudes and suggestions, but you must put forth the effort to change your life. How badly do you want it?

Best wishes & Godspeed.

mrarenare

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
386%
Mar 25, 2014
US
Thanks for the welcome, Old Faithful...

I've asked myself the same question many times over...and unfortunately, I didn't want it bad enough to make the necessary changes. That's part of the reason I've come out, so to speak...change my actions, change my associations and surround myself with people doing what I want to be doing. Make it happen instead of just hoping it will happen.

Honestly, I don't know my next move..and part of my problem was expecting to have everything mapped out, BEFORE I did anything...resulting in paralysis. Now, I'm taking a step at a time, and trusting that I'll find direction along the way. This is my first step.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...