The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How you can avoid huge consequences from small actions

Anything related to matters of the mind

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
You all should know the concept of a DARE (Downside asymmetric risk event)

We all understand how driving while drunk can potentially ruin a life. There is however more to DAREs. They can be evil and hide in situations many don't think about.

I recently mentioned in the inside chat how one DARE I fail to identify when I was a lot younger now really came back to bite me.

The thing is, that event was far from the things usually mentioned when talking about dares. It's not about drunk driving or unprotected sex.

Some far more innocent things can have massive downsides. You make out with a girl and then block her. You tell an annoying emo teen to kill himself. You use pirated images on your website.

On first sight those things don't seem to have that much DARE potential. But now look at this:

The girl keys your car.
The emo teen kills himself and credits you in his suicide note.
A piracy law firm comes across your website and now you have to pay tens of thousands in fines and legal fees.

The list could go on and on. You get the point: Your actions have consequences. In my case, my reckless action from years ago now changed my life for the worse and tool all the momentum I had in life, business and self improvement.

Especially watch out for things that seem insignificant to you. Just because you like telling people to "kys" and think it's funny doesn't mean it couldn't someday lead to your soul being tainted with feeling responsible for a suicide.

If you have a similar experience or took something away from this, I'd appreciate you taking the time to share it here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
You all should know the concept of a DARE (Downside asymmetric risk event)

We all understand how driving while drunk can potentially ruin a life. There is however more to DAREs. They can be evil and hide in situations many don't think about.

I recently mentioned in the inside chat how one DARE I fail to identify when I was a lot younger now really came back to bite me.

The thing is, that event was far from the things usually mentioned when talking about dares. It's not about drunk driving or unprotected sex.

Some far more innocent things can have massive downsides. You make out with a girl and then block her. You tell an annoying emo teen to kill himself. You use pirated images on your website.

On first sight those things don't seem to have that much DARE potential. But now look at this:

The girl keys your car.
The emo teen kills himself and credits you in his suicide note.
A piracy law firm comes across your website and now you have to pay tens of thousands in fines and legal fees.

The list could go on and on. You get the point: Your actions have consequences. In my case, my reckless action from years ago now changed my life for the worse and tool all the momentum I had in life, business and self improvement.

Especially watch out for things that seem insignificant to you. Just because you like telling people to "kys" and think it's funny doesn't mean it couldn't someday lead to your soul being tainted with feeling responsible for a suicide.

If you have a similar experience or took something away from this, I'd appreciate you taking the time to share it here.
You make out with a girl then block her- Police calls you for rape investigation.

You call a a teen to go “kys”. -Police calls you for death threat investigatioon.

Stay away from trouble unless you want to spend day, weeks or months not doing anything but defending yourself. You never know if you stepped on the toes of some really crazy people.

It is very difficult to enforce intellectual property cases when it crosses border into other juridications. Unless you are making big money you are not likely a target to get sued for such thing.

With smart phone these days the most relevant DARE is playing your phone while crossing the road.

Cybersecurity is a big issue.

Get 2fa done. Always impose a lower limit on all transactions. Lift the limit only when necessary and adjust them back.

Last edited:

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
A good rule of thumb is to ask, if I did this action 100 times, what would be the likely result?

Something to think about when you associate yourself with bad people, smoke that cigarette, drive drunk etc.

When risk for catastrophy is low, we tend to underestimate the risk even further. With each repeat of the action and no catastrophy, we further dismiss the risk, encouraging ourselves to repeat the action. This increases the real risk, until catastrophy is inevitable.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
A good rule of thumb is to ask, if I did this action 100 times, what would be the likely result?
Best way to predict the future is to multiply your average day by 1000.

That's how your life is going to look in 3 years.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Best way to predict the future is to multiply your average day by 1000.

That's how your life is going to look in 3 years.
Bookmarked, this just hit me in the face metaphorically speaking.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

“Members of the public would receive advertisements for cleaning services via social messaging platforms. A link would be sent to the victims after they indicated their intention to engage the cleaning services. The scammers would tell the victims to make payment by downloading an application, believed to contain malware, using the link provided on the web page. After installing the application on their phones, the victims would be directed to make payments via legitimate banking sites using their online banking credentials. Unknown to the victims, the application would be able to access the banking credentials and SMSes sent to the victims’ phone. The victims would only realise that they had been scammed when they discovered unauthorised transactions made from their bank accounts”

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Lessons :

-Get 2FA done. Always impose lower limit on transactions. Lift the limit only when necessary and then lower them back.

-It is too often that credit card and debit card details get compromised. Put limits in place and only connect them to an account without too much cash.

-Be careful of android device. I have yet to hear iOS system getting malware that results in banking scam loss. Not a cyber security person myself but if any expert here feel free to share your opinion.

Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

That’s great that you have awoken. Not many people “wake up” to these psychological mechanisms.

I think the key is when we realize we are actually damaging ourselves in the process.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Last edited:

farahead

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 25, 2023
Slovakia

Something to think about when you associate yourself with bad people, smoke that cigarette, drive drunk etc.

When risk for catastrophy is low, we tend to underestimate the risk even further. With each repeat of the action and no catastrophy, we further dismiss the risk, encouraging ourselves to repeat the action. This increases the real risk, until catastrophy is inevitable.
Oh shiiiit, makes me realise ive done alot of Downside asymmetric risk events.
Im causious of the big DAREs (drunk driving etc) But never realised the small things that have asymmetric risk aswell.

Really good point!
I will be more careful and underestimate low risk. I really like the 100x priciple

Thank you for sharing!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Riding a motorbike is a socially accepted DARE…just to add in. It has a death rate comparable of being stationed in Iraq as a solider.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.