The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How would a 22 year old with no money and connections enter the world of real estate?

BeefCattle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 7, 2017
Washington D.C.
If my ultimate goal is to enter the world of real estate investing or development, and find a niche I can excel in, where do I even start?

How and where do I meet successful people that I can approach for advice/mentorship?

What/where are the best resources for me to learn from?

I just need guidance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
get a job as a realtor to learn the trade

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I was gonna say "you don't"

But @Denim Chicken and @sparechange made some good points, Learn about the industry and meet some people in the industry who can offer wisdom.

Real estate investing/development is a game for those with money, so I suggest focusing on stacking that paper

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I bought an investment property awhile back. Seems to me its better to use it as a value store and investment once you have made money through something fastlane. Just my opinion though, I'm definitely not experienced in it.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
get a job as a realtor to learn the trade
Additionally if you struggle to get your foot inside a door, offer free work as an intern for a little while, then provide a lot of value and then you can negotiate.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
If my ultimate goal is to enter the world of real estate investing or development, and find a niche I can excel in, where do I even start?

How and where do I meet successful people that I can approach for advice/mentorship?

I just need guidance

It's been stated above, but at 22 the best thing you might be able to do is get a job as a Realtor. Start by approaching some of the bigger more popular offices in the area. See if you can get a job as an intern. Even as a totally unpaid intern. Why? Because you need to network and get to know the players in the business and the people they work wth. The terminology, The software. The soft skills. The market. I you are good as an intern, you will easily get on board, and possibly even have the place pay for your Realtor licensing.

All my best real estate deals have come from the network of good realtors, and their connections I have built up. I get inside information on upcoming properties, hot locations, good deals, other like minded investors, all through this network. Even as I moved to California recently, I used my network to locate a home that wasn't officially for sale in a very hot area and got a great deal that benefitted everyone. I would never have this without the relationships I built up.

I built up those relationships because at one point in my varied past I thought I might actually do the real estate thing. I worked at an office for a bit. Realized it wasn't for me, but man that network. Give it a shot! You have nothing to lose.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Get your real estate license. Then your brokers license.
Start on the phones if needed.
Work for a builder / developer.
Then start birddogging until they bring you in on a deal or two.

Brian C.

Rolling Thunder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
339%
Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts, USA
At 24, I remember vividly being in the same situation at 22.

So I started a marketing company - helping real estate professionals & businesses of all sorts with their marketing (the bread & butter of real estate). Got to know some of the top brokers in the country, their personal strategies, investment companies, property managers, etc. It's still mainly service based, but we're moving in the direction of packaged service(s) now that we better understand the needs of agents & investors.

Ended up getting my real estate license too, but have yet to hook up with a broker. I plan to reach out to one of the top agents in the area and propose working as an assistant under them, with my marketing company being a nice value add prop.

If I had to do it all over again?

I'd do it the same. It's been a great linear entry into the industry that will likely give me a head of steam shortly down the road. That said, I might have got into wholesaling at the onset. Super low barrier to entry with a huge upside. I have a colleague of mine that cleared nearly $60k in deals after 4 months, splitting half with a partner.

Denis from BE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 3, 2017
Belgium
Great replies from others in this treads ! I'm kind in the same situation, the thing is that I learnt from people who succeed in this realm and have good results. As already said, the most important part is to build relationship with people who can help you in the future.
For me the big challenge is to find the first "great deal" to become credible from banks sight. It has to be a success.

Good luck, I'm working on it too

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Posted by z********

if real estate, I would get a night job, as a janitor, to pay my own food etc.

Then I would hustle during the day for a big real estate guy, for FREE. for about 2-3 months. then I would go to him and say, Have I proved enough value that I can be included in your next couple of deals as a partner or small owner?
I would spend the next year working my a$$ off for him, and get in on 6-10 deals, with an nice little cash flow, and now have all his contacts. I would then launch my own deals, using his money sources, and donate back to him a 10-15% per deal equity piece for the next 2 deals.

then I would be on more or less equal footing as him in about 1.5 yrs. and have a couple million in real estate. and enough cash flow to not work a job (janitor job would have only lasted 3 months)

Then, I would grow a real estate empire to about 20-50M over the next 5 yrs. as a general partner/manager. I should be up to just under 1M a year in income then. and then I would hire great real estate guys to run the firm. and 1 guy to go to wall st, and raise 100M in lines of credit and equity share. build to 200M in just under 10 yrs. and either retire on the income or turn it into a reit or sell it off.

you should read the whole thread: GOLD - Golden Nuggets- Tips, processes, & How To's

maybe some other real estate people here agree on this?

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I bought an investment property awhile back. Seems to me its better to use it as a value store and investment once you have made money through something fastlane. Just my opinion though, I'm definitely not experienced in it.
That is one angle. I made a lot of money through the buy and sell. When you make 1M on one transaction, you may rethink this.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
If he was so shit hot why did he...
1. Ask to borrow money from me?
2. Get himself banned?

ha!, you lucky boy. I was reading a thread of z******** and he posted some really great nuggets and this fits you best. I think you should take this advice very seriously because it seems for me that guy is the mr.hustle himself.

Posted by z********

if real estate, I would get a night job, as a janitor, to pay my own food etc.

Then I would hustle during the day for a big real estate guy, for FREE. for about 2-3 months. then I would go to him and say, Have I proved enough value that I can be included in your next couple of deals as a partner or small owner?
I would spend the next year working my a$$ off for him, and get in on 6-10 deals, with an nice little cash flow, and now have all his contacts. I would then launch my own deals, using his money sources, and donate back to him a 10-15% per deal equity piece for the next 2 deals.

then I would be on more or less equal footing as him in about 1.5 yrs. and have a couple million in real estate. and enough cash flow to not work a job (janitor job would have only lasted 3 months)

Then, I would grow a real estate empire to about 20-50M over the next 5 yrs. as a general partner/manager. I should be up to just under 1M a year in income then. and then I would hire great real estate guys to run the firm. and 1 guy to go to wall st, and raise 100M in lines of credit and equity share. build to 200M in just under 10 yrs. and either retire on the income or turn it into a reit or sell it off.

you should read the whole thread: GOLD - Golden Nuggets- Tips, processes, & How To's

sorry if there is an option to relink just a post i couldnt find it!

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
If he was so shit hot why did he...
1. Ask to borrow money from me?
2. Get himself banned?

okay i dont know about your issues with that guy and that he got banned. Iam just reading the threads and read some posts giving z******* a lot of credibility like icecreamkid did and other people. So does that mean the Nuggets thread is worthless and z******** is a big fake with no expirience in that field at all and i pointed to an useless recommendation? if yes sorry for me pointing to this thread!

@jon.a iam with you if he asked you for money, thats weak.

if that guy is such a big lie why nobody delete all of his threads....

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
okay i dont know about your issues with that guy and that he got banned. Iam just reading the threads and read some posts giving z******* a lot of credibility like icecreamkid did and other people. So does that mean the Nuggets thread is worthless and z******** is a big fake with no expirience in that field at all and i pointed to an useless recommendation? if yes sorry for me pointing to this thread!

He was good at spinning a yarn. Which is what that what if story was. He had me snowed for the longest time. Up to a few months before he really gave himself away. I gave him credit before then also. I regret that there's a chance that anyone might have been hurt because I was speaking up for him back then. I've been wanting to say that for a while now. @JasonR @TheTruth or anyone else.

@MJ DeMarco rarely deletes content. Sometimes some of it is good. Sometimes the replies are good. Sometimes it's contains good lesson of what not to do.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX

I personally learned from this guy from ages 20 - 22 and truly got a million dollar education from him. I sold what I had to move across the country to be mentored by him. I lived in one of his homes for a while, while working mostly for free. I worked in his company, and did basically what he said in the post you quoted up until a certain point. I went to a ton of meetups, building inspections, deals, etc with him and basically shadowed him. Hell, I even ate dinner with him and his family on most nights. I genuinely looked up to him as a mentor until I eventually saw his true colors and what he would do with other peoples money & livelyhoods. His threads weren't deleted because that would be stealing time and knowledge from the other users here. We can all learn something from everyone, no matter what they've done.

His advice isn't inherently bad, its what he did with his own advice that got him in quite a bit of trouble. It's a shame really.

Just one of many examples that happend after i cut him from my life in 2016.

He was great at getting investment money, and if he used it like he said he would, for the deal, he'd probably still be on the forum and regarded well. It always seemed so weird that deals wouldn't get done after he got the money. Why? Because he spent it on other shit besides the deal. He would turn cool ideas and products into the shadiest business models possible.

I was pretty torn up about it for a while.

Last edited:

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
He was good at spinning a yarn. Which is what that what if story was. He had me snowed for the longest time. Up to a few months before he really gave himself away. I gave him credit before then also. I regret that there's a chance that anyone might have been hurt because I was speaking up for him back then. I've been wanting to say that for a while now. @JasonR @TheTruth or anyone else.

@MJ DeMarco rarely deletes content. Sometimes some of it is good. Sometimes the replies are good. Sometimes it's contains good lesson of what not to do.
I personally learned from this guy from ages 20 - 22 and truly got a million dollar education from him. I sold what I had to move across the country to be mentored by him. I lived in one of his homes for a while, while working mostly for free. I worked in his company, and did basically what he said in the post you quoted up until a certain point. I went to a ton of meetups, building inspections, deals, etc with him and basically shadowed him. Hell, I even ate dinner with him and his family on most nights. I genuinely looked up to him as a mentor until I eventually saw his true colors and what he would do with other peoples money & livelyhoods. His threads weren't deleted because that would be stealing time and knowledge from the other users here. We can all learn something from everyone, no matter what they've done.

His advice isn't inherently bad, its what he did with his own advice that got him in quite a bit of trouble. It's a shame really.

Just one of many examples that happend after i cut him from my life in 2016.

He was great at getting investment money, and if he used it like he said he would, for the deal, he'd probably still be on the forum and regarded well. It always seemed so weird that deals wouldn't get done after he got the money. Why? Because he spent it on other shit besides the deal. He would turn cool ideas and products into the shadiest business models possible.

I was pretty torn up about it for a while.

good you bring this up for us newbies to read some threads with reservation! i hope a lot of people read this!!!!

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014

I just need guidance

-Biggerpockets, mentors, working for someone that is doing it.

Go to your local real estate association meet ups.

Find a mentor who owns or works in a real estate business

I started househacking by buying residential multifamility properties and renting out the units to cover the mortgage. From there you can scale up and grow your own portfolio. That is what my strategy is but everyones is different depending on where you live.

Biggepockets, books, mentors, and experience is how you'll learn.

BeefCattle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 7, 2017
Washington D.C.
@SteveO ; @JScott ; @Envision ; @G_Alexander ; @Aaron T

Ok, so lemme ask you guys a question.

How would someone like me provide value for people such as yourselves, people who are already successful in the field I'm trying to enter?

What would make me stand out? What would I have to do to captivate your attention and make you say , "Hey, this guy has something, I wanna work with him, I wanna help him in his journey"

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
@SteveO ; @JScott ; @Envision ; @G_Alexander ; @Aaron T

Ok, so lemme ask you guys a question.

How would someone like me provide value for people such as yourselves, people who are already successful in the field I'm trying to enter?

What would make me stand out? What would I have to do to captivate your attention and make you say , "Hey, this guy has something, I wanna work with him, I wanna help him in his journey"

Well that is a tough question. For me I am well served by my network already. The only additional value would a hihgly trusted part of my network with new kinds of real estate opportunities that I might not be looking into.

I am into some pretty creative type endeavors but I am only dealing with those in a very small network of trusted people.

Now as for helping you with your journey, that is a different type of question. Honestly I find myself interested in helping people that actually are doing things. In other words, once someone starts taking the steps, moving forward, doing things, maybe struggling hard, maybe not, but actually taking the steps, it makes me want to help.

The biggest barrier to becoming successful is just getting started. I am sure that is a quote from someone somewhere, but if not it is a truth. Most people dream of many things, but never do a thing about it. So once I see a person doing a thing, I naturally become interested. Then I think the conversation how to help becomes a lot cleared because there will be pain points, struggles, areas of friction that make the help obvious.

Right now, the biggest way to help you with your journey, is to tell you to start on it. I think that is what you are doing, but that is my advice.

BeefCattle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 7, 2017
Washington D.C.
Well that is a tough question. For me I am well served by my network already. The only additional value would a hihgly trusted part of my network with new kinds of real estate opportunities that I might not be looking into.

I am into some pretty creative type endeavors but I am only dealing with those in a very small network of trusted people.

Now as for helping you with your journey, that is a different type of question. Honestly I find myself interested in helping people that actually are doing things. In other words, once someone starts taking the steps, moving forward, doing things, maybe struggling hard, maybe not, but actually taking the steps, it makes me want to help.

The biggest barrier to becoming successful is just getting started. I am sure that is a quote from someone somewhere, but if not it is a truth. Most people dream of many things, but never do a thing about it. So once I see a person doing a thing, I naturally become interested. Then I think the conversation how to help becomes a lot cleared because there will be pain points, struggles, areas of friction that make the help obvious.

Right now, the biggest way to help you with your journey, is to tell you to start on it. I think that is what you are doing, but that is my advice.

Thanks for the advice. It's always the simple things that are most true and valuable lol.

How do I get over the fear and paralysis and just start?

I know almost all fear is irrational, but that's the thing, due to my lack of experience and me not having any current success, I have that fear that pulls me back or prevents me from being my best.

How do I master the mental game of all this

Deztinee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 30, 2014
There are some really great suggestions above. I'm a new realtor and can tell you first hand that, if you are looking to get into real estate sales, then you must build your network. The saying here is "Don't be an undercover agent!" You may have the greatest of intentions/skills, but if nobody knows you, you will not be successful in this business. If you don't want to go into the sales side of it, and would prefer investment, then work for a realtor who's primary clients are investors. Or, better yet, seek out employment from an actual real estate investor. This will get you really good training. Just soak in all the knowledge, build your arsenal, and leap when it's your turn. Good luck!

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Thanks for the advice. It's always the simple things that are most true and valuable lol.

How do I get over the fear and paralysis and just start?

I know almost all fear is irrational, but that's the thing, due to my lack of experience and me not having any current success, I have that fear that pulls me back or prevents me from being my best.

How do I master the mental game of all this

Well, I am thinking let's consider what you are doing here the first step. So you did that. You got great advice. Now take another step. Follow through on something suggested above. So many good suggestions.

if you want something bad enough, so bad it hurts, then you will take that next step. I am not going to spell out the exact things you need to do here. It makes no sense yet. But if you want it, just contact the Real Estate agents and start. This part is fortunately all you, and once you make this next move you will get excited and the rest will start to come easier.

The next piece of advice is when you get rejection, and hear no, don't let it discourage you. You will get negative reactions. But you don't need to be negative about them.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Get your real estate license. Then go to work for a broker. Try to get connected with a mortgage broker. Work. Network. Birddog.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.