The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HOW TO: Understand Fastlane Business Mathematics

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ

thore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Feb 20, 2015
Hey everyone,
One of my favorite chapters of the TMF book, is Chapter 37, titled “Give Your Road a Destination”.
It really made me think about the amazing possibilities that can be accomplished once you have a rock-solid business (following the CENTS commandments of course). But one thing I see some people struggle with - is the mathematics of business viability. This is often obvious when you look at people pitching their product on tv shows like Shark Tank. They may have a great product - but they suck at their own business math!

I’ve always been a fan of doing numbers, and this really inspired me to try to visualize what MJ is talking about into a spreadsheet. MJ’s brilliant “two-flanked” attack strategy is a genius way to reach your lifestyle goal in only a matter of a few years.

While you are working away hard on growing out your business, this strategy simultaneously funds your Money System – while you are gradually getting closer to the lifestyle you want. Then when you can finally liquidate your Business System, you can “cash out” and enjoy your well-deserved retirement.

I have created a spreadsheet for you all to download, where you can enter in variables that suits you, your lifestyle goals, and business variables. Your destination and time frame is affected to varying degrees by the following most important factors:

• How soon you get started. Remember: the best time to start is…NOW
  • The monthly growth you are able to achieve. (through marketing, product expansion, upsells, continuity, etc)
  • Your lifestyle goals. Naturally, the more lavish you want to live – the harder you’re gonna have to work for that to happen. But that’s ok.
  • Money System yield. It’s probably better to assume a lower-yield of around 5-6% to be safe but play around with higher numbers if you’re a risk-taker.

Below is a screenshot of what my spreadsheet looks like. It attempts to give you a rough idea of how long it will take you to reach your desired lifestyle, and what you must strive to create in order to get there. All the white boxes are fields where you can change the variables for the calculation.

You can download this spreadsheet by clicking here.

FastlanceCalculator_spreadsheet.jpg

I also wanted to share a simple formula that will calculate your estimated profits at a given point in time after starting your business. This can be useful if you want to get an idea of how much money a business idea might make you after a certain amount of time – based on how much you make in your first month, and fast it is growing.
This is an ESTIMATE – and takes into account the following variables:

• 1stMonthProfit
  • MonthlyGrowth (a percentage, but for calculation should be specified as 1.05 if the growth is 5%)
  • MonthsInBusiness

Your estimated profits after a given number of months, is expressed by the formula:
FastlaneCalculator_formula.jpg

So for instance, let’s say that you are considering going into a certain niche. After doing some research, you find that the business should be viable with some moderate effort.
You figure you should definitely be able to sell 6 units per day to begin with - and that the market is willing to pay a price that gives you $50 profit per unit sold.
Your 1st month in business should bring in approximately 30 days x $50 x 6 = $9000 in profits from units sold.
Now let’s assume you figure that your monthly expenses that take away from this are roughly $3000 (overhead, advertising, rent, whatever, etc.)

So your gross 1stMonthProfit = $6000

You also talked to a friend who is running a similar business, and find out that with the moderate marketing he is doing – you should also be able to grow at roughly the same rate he is doing (or better). It estimated that you too can increase the business with about 10% each month.

MonthlyGrowth = 1.10 (the same as 10%)

So - what kinds of profits will this business be making 6 months, 12 months, or even 24 months going into it?
Let's see...

I hope my explanations and everything here makes sense. But if you have any feedback or comments to this - or have suggestions to things I could add to the spreadsheet, I would love to hear them! :)

Eskil
Thank you for share this.
Very useful.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Hey everyone,
One of my favorite chapters of the TMF book, is Chapter 37, titled “Give Your Road a Destination”.
It really made me think about the amazing possibilities that can be accomplished once you have a rock-solid business (following the CENTS commandments of course). But one thing I see some people struggle with - is the mathematics of business viability. This is often obvious when you look at people pitching their product on tv shows like Shark Tank. They may have a great product - but they suck at their own business math!

I’ve always been a fan of doing numbers, and this really inspired me to try to visualize what MJ is talking about into a spreadsheet. MJ’s brilliant “two-flanked” attack strategy is a genius way to reach your lifestyle goal in only a matter of a few years.

While you are working away hard on growing out your business, this strategy simultaneously funds your Money System – while you are gradually getting closer to the lifestyle you want. Then when you can finally liquidate your Business System, you can “cash out” and enjoy your well-deserved retirement.

I have created a spreadsheet for you all to download, where you can enter in variables that suits you, your lifestyle goals, and business variables. Your destination and time frame is affected to varying degrees by the following most important factors:

• How soon you get started. Remember: the best time to start is…NOW
  • The monthly growth you are able to achieve. (through marketing, product expansion, upsells, continuity, etc)
  • Your lifestyle goals. Naturally, the more lavish you want to live – the harder you’re gonna have to work for that to happen. But that’s ok.
  • Money System yield. It’s probably better to assume a lower-yield of around 5-6% to be safe but play around with higher numbers if you’re a risk-taker.

Below is a screenshot of what my spreadsheet looks like. It attempts to give you a rough idea of how long it will take you to reach your desired lifestyle, and what you must strive to create in order to get there. All the white boxes are fields where you can change the variables for the calculation.

You can download this spreadsheet by clicking here.

FastlanceCalculator_spreadsheet.jpg

I also wanted to share a simple formula that will calculate your estimated profits at a given point in time after starting your business. This can be useful if you want to get an idea of how much money a business idea might make you after a certain amount of time – based on how much you make in your first month, and fast it is growing.
This is an ESTIMATE – and takes into account the following variables:

• 1stMonthProfit
  • MonthlyGrowth (a percentage, but for calculation should be specified as 1.05 if the growth is 5%)
  • MonthsInBusiness

Your estimated profits after a given number of months, is expressed by the formula:
FastlaneCalculator_formula.jpg

So for instance, let’s say that you are considering going into a certain niche. After doing some research, you find that the business should be viable with some moderate effort.
You figure you should definitely be able to sell 6 units per day to begin with - and that the market is willing to pay a price that gives you $50 profit per unit sold.
Your 1st month in business should bring in approximately 30 days x $50 x 6 = $9000 in profits from units sold.
Now let’s assume you figure that your monthly expenses that take away from this are roughly $3000 (overhead, advertising, rent, whatever, etc.)

So your gross 1stMonthProfit = $6000

You also talked to a friend who is running a similar business, and find out that with the moderate marketing he is doing – you should also be able to grow at roughly the same rate he is doing (or better). It estimated that you too can increase the business with about 10% each month.

MonthlyGrowth = 1.10 (the same as 10%)

So - what kinds of profits will this business be making 6 months, 12 months, or even 24 months going into it?
Let's see...

I hope my explanations and everything here makes sense. But if you have any feedback or comments to this - or have suggestions to things I could add to the spreadsheet, I would love to hear them! :)

Eskil

This is the great post. Thanks man! I highly appreciate you!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I did some math after listening to GC 10x (totally recommend to listen to that)

Not thinking big enough, my customer lifetime value over the course of a single year (reorder product) is in the low 3 figure range.

So rather than thinking about one product sale for $10-$20 range, I calculated it at $120 per year, now with 1,000 customers that's $120,000, which surpasses the average wage for the majority of people.

$72,662 Median income of households
In 2015, the median total income of households in Vancouver was $72,662

At least before the tax man comes to get his share, and deducting operating expenses etc.

10,000 customers would be $1.2M+ in revenue :cool: in such a large world and limiting myself for now to my own city (Vancouver BC) I've got 2.4M potential customers. Keeping in mind, not everyone will support my biz and that's ok.

So the way Uncle Grant talks about it, is dominating the market space and becoming the leader of your niche.

Suddenly becoming a millionaire isn't such a daunting task when you really break down the numbers.

Would like to get to the 7 fig mark before I'm 30.. I'm 28 now, so about 2 years left actually quite realistic.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.