The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to stop buying for an event and returning purchase afterwards

Share your FTE moment...

sandgrownun

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jun 12, 2012
Blackpool (UK)
Not sure if there is an answer to this one but its an opportunity to vent my frustration if nothing else.

One of my online businesses is contemporary artificial flower displays. I started my business with direct consumer sales but have started growing and advertising it for event decoration.

The problem I have is that I will receive a large order for an event, wedding, conference etc then the purchaser will return the order after the event has concluded.:eusa_naughty: Under the distance seller laws (UK) the customer is entitled to return the order within 7 days of delivery. I don't mind too much about the return because the stock can be returned to inventory however by law I have to refund the outward shipping cost as well. This incurs a loss of £10-£50 every time it happens.

Is there anyway I can prevent this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

awesom-o

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Aug 10, 2011
United Kingdom
Not sure if there is an answer to this one but its an opportunity to vent my frustration if nothing else.

One of my online businesses is contemporary artificial flower displays. I started my business with direct consumer sales but have started growing and advertising it for event decoration.

The problem I have is that I will receive a large order for an event, wedding, conference etc then the purchaser will return the order after the event has concluded.:eusa_naughty: Under the distance seller laws (UK) the customer is entitled to return the order within 7 days of delivery. I don't mind too much about the return because the stock can be returned to inventory however by law I have to refund the outward shipping cost as well. This incurs a loss of £10-£50 every time it happens.

Is there anyway I can prevent this?

So they are buying the displays from you using them for their wedding for example over a 3 day weekend then returning them for a refund once they are done with them!?Please tell me I've interpreted this wrong because that really is taking the mick! I would prevent this by sealing your product in a bag/security seal then the return policy is seven days from purchase with seal/bag intact. Sorted :smxF:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Yeah you need to add some sort of use indicator and return clause. I used to deal in high end watches and we would get this ALL the time. People want to put an expensive watch on their CC use it for a nice event then come return it. We added in that if the watch was adjusted to fit the wrist or worn it is non returnable unless there is a mechanical defect. Still they come try to return it and get pissed.

Normally You would want to be out for the customers best interest, but a lot of the times you just get shitty customers and need to deal with them accordingly.

sandgrownun

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jun 12, 2012
Blackpool (UK)
So they are buying the displays from you using them for their wedding for example over a 3 day weekend then returning them for a refund once they are done with them!?

Yeh, that's correct. I don't' have this problem too often with weddings as they give away the arrangements as favors which is a selling point. Surprisingly it is the corporate customers that return them, annual conferences and that sort of thing. They probably kit out the whole venue and return everything at the end of it. Cheapskate or what!

Sealed packaging is not really viable as I have to pack a certain way to reduce breakages which is a big part of the niche, too many losses unless you get it right so too much hassle for most "fast buck" businesses.

I just wanted to vent and in doing so I have come up with another idea that may discourage it and make a better return. Perhaps I could offer a buy back policy. They buy what they want at full price and (subject to conditions) if they have no longer use for the stock after the event they can return it for say a 50% refund. Hmmm, every cloud etc.....

sandgrownun

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jun 12, 2012
Blackpool (UK)
How about this added to my "Returns" policy?

"Regrettably we are no longer able to accept returns for orders of 10 arrangements or more and advise you to purchase a sample first to ensure our displays are suitable for your needs.

If you require a large order for a single event or function we also operate a 50% buy back policy which is often more economic than hiring similar products. Please contact us for further details."

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
Find a need and fill it.

It sounds like you've found need. People want to rent arrangements. Why not give them what they want?
Turn that £10-£50 loss into a profit

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It sounds like you've found need. People want to rent arrangements. Why not give them what they want?

There is your answer. Start renting arrangements with the return cost built in.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Stop selling them.

Start only renting.

Or do the laws allow a restock fee of say 25%?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.