The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to start your own hair care line

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
In case anyone is interested in starting their own line of hair care products, here's a video where Steve, the owner of Gable's Cosmetics tells you how. He makes private label products for a lot of companies you see on the shelf. The video is chopped up a bit, but it's still a goldmine of information.

It's really a interesting video to learn all about the stuff, how it's made, how much it costs to make etc. Then he shows demonstrates how hair gel is made. Take a glass of tap water, pours a table spoon of some type of power (he says what it is, I just forgot), a student in the class mixes it with a spoon adds a drop of blue color and it turns into blue hair gel. That's all there is to it basically He then says, if you want the hair gel in spray form, you just add salt. He then pours some ordinary Mortons table salt into the gel and it turns to a liquid sprayable form. That's hair gel minus the perfume of your choice.

The most interesting thing I saw was at the start of the video he shows examples of raw forms of detergent and foaming agents that is used to make shampoo. I noticed the bottles have Pilot Chemical labels on them. My grandfather was a chemical engineer and founded Pilot Chemical in 1952.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
I don't see how this is providing value at all. This is just scamming the consumer. Ya know before I got the whole entrepreneur mindset, I was a consumer. When ever I had someone trying to sell me something, I didn't think of them as an entrepreneur, but someone that was trying to take my money (scam me). This shit makes me cringe.

D

DeletedUser394

I don't see how this is providing value at all. This is just scamming the consumer. Ya know before I got the whole entrepreneur mindset, I was a consumer. When ever I had someone trying to sell me something, I didn't think of them as an entrepreneur, but someone that was trying to take my money (scam me). This shit makes me cringe.

What are you on about?

The video is an hour and a half, did you watch the entire thing? (I didn't)

From what I gather, he's simply a manufacturer that is providing other people the opportunity to make their own products. Where is the scam? He seems to be extremely informative and the reviews overwhelmingly back that up.

And why bump a 2 year old thread to add nothing of value?

Your mindset is out of whack. Claiming to be an entrepreneur, yet you look at everyone else that are trying to sell their own products or services as trying to scam you? lol, let me get my tin foil hat right quick.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
What are you on about?

The video is an hour and a half, did you watch the entire thing? (I didn't)

From what I gather, he's simply a manufacturer that is providing other people the opportunity to make their own products. Where is the scam? He seems to be extremely informative and the reviews overwhelmingly back that up.

And why bump a 2 year old thread to add nothing of value?

Your mindset is out of whack. Claiming to be an entrepreneur, yet you look at everyone else that are trying to sell their own products or services as trying to scam you? lol, let me get my tin foil hat right quick.

The one example that made me lose it was that a guy was selling soap with only foaming agent and fragrance without detergent meaning it provided no value for the customer. In my mind it was a scam. The impression I was getting from this was how entrepreneurs were getting their products sold by just adding food coloring to their product. Not much value to the customer. Rebranding the same exact product to get more sales, since they saturated the market with their current product. The focus seemed money focused rather than providing actual value to customers. I should have been more clear, the manufacturer isn't the scammer, the examples of the entrepreneurs are.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Wow, I think I have gained something today. Very helpful
I hope you haven't gained the impression that the whole process is easy.

I operated my own industrial chemical business for 20 years. I know how to make consumer products, but didn't bother with it because selling my products B2B suited me better.

There are many tricks in the trade that you are unlikely to learn from a video. For example, where do you find the powder that was mentioned? Do you know which is the right powder to use?

There are different kinds of powder that can be used for thickening gels etc. Can you buy it in quantities smaller than a 40kg (88lbs) fiber drum, when 1kg could last you a couple of years, because you use such a tiny amount.

Do you know how extremely hazardous the powders can be when you are mixing them?

Did the video demonstrate the proper technique for adding the powder? With the wrong technique you will get a lumpy mess.

I suggests that if you are seriously thinking of private labeling cosmetic products you should buy from a reputable manufacturer.

Walter

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!