The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to start a web site?

bballshinobi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 13, 2013
Hi guys this is my first post in the forum! Looking forward to exchange ideas and learning from you all!

I've had this business idea running in my head for awhile, and after reading MJ's book I decided to set it in motion. My idea is to create a web site that brings vendors and customers together in auction format similar to EBay. Just off the top of my head I realize that I will need to be able to have a fully automated web site that can: register users, create listings, accepts payments, maintain customer database, and process payments.

The problem is that I don't know how to program a web site lol. Can somebody give me an idea on who and where to look for a programmer to do a job like this? And maybe give me an idea of the cost? Any help and recommendation would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Welcome to the forum.

I assume you've identified a NEED, with this idea of yours. And a need that isn't already fulfilled, or can be done better by you (you did say you've read the book).

In response to your questions, I don't mean to sound rude, but did you try googling at all? I found this pretty easily:
10 Options for Multi-Vendor Shopping Carts - OSTraining

So it should be pretty easy to get going, without needing a developer other than for updates/changes, which you can find on elance, or odesk.

Anyway, best of luck.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
You should read around the forums a little bit more.. there is a lot of information for new people like you that cover your questions. Check out the most responded to threads in the software/internet forum..

bballshinobi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 13, 2013
Great! Thanks for pointing me to the right direction guys! I really appreciate it!

joschi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 12, 2012
Berlin
Currently i am building a system that might be able to fullfill your needs...
So if you decide to follow that pass i might be able to help you with building your website.
As i see it, you need to invest round about 200$ in plugins to do it with wordpress.

If you like please contact me. Then we can skype and i can give you some more information (regardless of the system you want to use.)

with kind regards
Patrick

joschi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 12, 2012
Berlin
Last edited by a moderator:

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
The technical issue is not that important. What's more important is whether you have the marketing budget to bring two markets together into your site (buyers and sellers).

bballshinobi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 13, 2013
Thanks for all your replies so far guys. The focus of my web site will be the financial industry. After researching different CMS I feel like Drupal is the best suitable option as well, so thank you very much for suggesting it.

As for marketing, I think the best course of action is affiliate and referral program. I imagine Drupal will have the ability to support that as well, correct?

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
I think using Drupal as a base for an auction site is not a good idea. Drupal is a CMS, it is not designed to be an auction software in the first place. You will need to have strong programming skill to change the core modules so that they work exactly as an auction software. It's not a simply plug-and-play.

If you're based in US/UK (or anywhere that ebay has branches), you will need at least 1 million dollar (preferably more) to advertise offline for your auction site. And if you think that affiliate marketing system for an unknown auction site will bring you decent amount of visitors, you're deluded. I don't think you understand the amount of work and money it takes to bring your idea into fruition.

Thanks for all your replies so far guys. The focus of my web site will be the financial industry. After researching different CMS I feel like Drupal is the best suitable option as well, so thank you very much for suggesting it.

As for marketing, I think the best course of action is affiliate and referral program. I imagine Drupal will have the ability to support that as well, correct?

bballshinobi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 13, 2013
I think using Drupal as a base for an auction site is not a good idea. Drupal is a CMS, it is not designed to be an auction software in the first place. You will need to have strong programming skill to change the core modules so that they work exactly as an auction software. It's not a simply plug-and-play.

If you're based in US/UK (or anywhere that ebay has branches), you will need at least 1 million dollar (preferably more) to advertise offline for your auction site. And if you think that affiliate marketing system for an unknown auction site will bring you decent amount of visitors, you're deluded. I don't think you understand the amount of work and money it takes to bring your idea into fruition.

Thanks for your input. You are right, I don't know exactly how much budget and work will be required, and that's what I am trying to figure out.

So if Drupal is not the best way to build my web site, what should I do? I know I will have to hire a programmer, but what language/system will be optimal? I am not savvy in programming so I have no idea how a site like EBay is writte . What kind of programming is used for sites like eBay?

thanks!

fukrs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 8, 2013
AW: How to start a web site?

Just build a prove of concept
Drupal is a content framework is not just a CMS. You can create everthing with it. Its totaly flexible

But be sure that your idea solves a need which millions need. So it has the chance for fastlane.

70% is marketing 30% and is Software
So market your idea and Start with a simple prototype oft your idea

Affiliate is also module for that.
But i sugest u use affiliate networks instead of building your own.
The reason is that affiliate plattforms like tradedoubler or netgains habe thousands oft ACTIVE affiliates you dont have Tod recruit by ur own

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
He will be dead even before registering to the affiliate network. Unless you have deep pocket or funded by some big VCs, you will be likely paying the affiliates from the listing fees. And in the beginning, you don't want to charge listing fees since you're a new player in the market in order to bring traction to your auction site.

Just build a prove of concept
Drupal is a content framework is not just a CMS. You can create everthing with it. Its totaly flexible

But be sure that your idea solves a need which millions need. So it has the chance for fastlane.

70% is marketing 30% and is Software
So market your idea and Start with a simple prototype oft your idea

Affiliate is also module for that.
But i sugest u use affiliate networks instead of building your own.
The reason is that affiliate plattforms like tradedoubler or netgains habe thousands oft ACTIVE affiliates you dont have Tod recruit by ur own

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA

Where did you get the $1 million number from? Throwing a number like that out makes me think that you know as much about marketing as our OP does about programming. Sorry for being snarky, but seriously, a million bucks?

I think that he is planning to target his website to a specific NICHE, which would be smart. I don't think he is saying that he wants to compete with Ebay, just that his website would function like Ebay's website.

To our OP:

If you've got the cash, I would think that it would take a few thousand to several thousand to get a website like this developed for you (on the lower side if you are good at not getting taken for a ride). Elance or odesk is a good place to find someone, but always look for someone who has been recommended to you by someone else that has used them before.

If you don't have the cash, I would take the Wordpress/plugin combination suggestion that was made here by Patrick. You can learn how to use Wordpress fairly easily, and a few hundred dollars on plugins or whatever isn't a huge investment. That way, you can test your idea.

After things get rolling and you make a few bucks, you can always have your website redone.

Best of luck :)

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I gave you a list of four auction programs already written, either free or low cost. You need to get a minimum viable product and prove your idea. Start there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.